Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

3D printing Audi R8 shift boot design??

I have this design in my mind of how awesome it would be to have the FiST shifter into a sleek design like R8 does. I don't have a 3D printer but was wondering if it would be possible to 3D this design. Anyone got any insight on how hard this would be to do?

Attachments

grnmachine02

I've never driven a car with a gated shifter, but it seems like it would be a pain in the ass. I could be wrong though, it might be the best thing ever.

Gated shifters are pretty neat looking and if done right should function no differently. It simply has the gated path where your shifter would be going normally.
You could remove the boot and start with a cardboard cutout, first with a square that just has enough clearance for normal operation, then start figuring out the pattern location, etc.

I've actually been thinking about doing this exact thing. I do have a 3D printer and *some* design skill, the hardest part with the FiST though is the reverse lockout mechanism and how it would fit in

grnmachine02

I just feel as though I'd hit the gate when attempting to shift like a ham fisted caveman. Not that I do that often, but I have shifted in anger before.

there's a company from Detroit making gated shift plate for FoST and he said he will do the same with FiST

http://www.brotherstuning.com/?lightbox=dataItem-iq1mfsfi2
I've asked a few times about one for the FiST with no response...maybe if some more people ask he will get working on it. I can say confidently I would buy that thing in a heartbeat, so I really hope he makes them

I've asked a few times about one for the FiST with no response...maybe if some more people ask he will get working on it. I can say confidently I would buy that thing in a heartbeat, so I really hope he makes them
Hey guys. Saw some website traffic coming from here so thought I'd register and chime in. I apologize that we missed your messages [:(]. We try to answer as many as we can but some manage to slip through. We're busy working on the 15-16 FoST gated shift plate now but have already ordered the FiST parts we will need to 3D scan and design the part around. Our target is to release 15-16 FoST and 14-16 FiST gated shift plates before the holidays. Following us on social media @BrosTuningDET is the best way to stay updated on the latest developments.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Tyler

Hey guys. Saw some website traffic coming from here so thought I'd register and chime in. I apologize that we missed your messages [:(]. We try to answer as many as we can but some manage to slip through. We're busy working on the 15-16 FoST gated shift plate now but have already ordered the FiST parts we will need to 3D scan and design the part around. Our target is to release 15-16 FoST and 14-16 FiST gated shift plates before the holidays. Following us on social media @BrosTuningDET is the best way to stay updated on the latest developments.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Tyler
To be fair I replied to a comment on Reddit, and commented on one of your Instagram posts. But that is music to my ears, thanks for giving an estimate.

Second question, are you going to release versions for people with short throw kits or will they work with the stock shift pattern? Or is that something that would be addressed after both of the shift plates are on sale?

To be fair I replied to a comment on Reddit, and commented on one of your Instagram posts. But that is music to my ears, thanks for giving an estimate.

Second question, are you going to release versions for people with short throw kits or will they work with the stock shift pattern? Or is that something that would be addressed after both of the shift plates are on sale?
They will only be compatible with the stock shift pattern to begin with. With so many combinations of short throw kits out there, it's almost impossible to make all variations and still make business sense. However, we understand a lot of people already have a short throw kit, so we're studying to offer a short throw kit + gated shift plate. The price of the short throw kit portion will be reduced compared to other aftermarket companies. This way we know exactly how much throw reduction there is and you guys can enjoy short throw performance and a gated shift plate without essentially paying for another short throw kit.

They will only be compatible with the stock shift pattern to begin with. With so many combinations of short throw kits out there, it's almost impossible to make all variations and still make business sense. However, we understand a lot of people already have a short throw kit, so we're studying to offer a short throw kit + gated shift plate. The price of the short throw kit portion will be reduced compared to other aftermarket companies. This way we know exactly how much throw reduction there is and you guys can enjoy short throw performance and a gated shift plate without essentially paying for another short throw kit.
I would be extremely interested in that, in fact I was holding off on a short throw shifter kit until I got the gated shifter. I'd be much more interested in buying them at the same time. Would that be coming out aroind the same time as the stock shift pattern or would that be a priority after the stock one is out? Sorry I'm bombarding you with questions, but I've wanted a gated shifter pretty much my entire life [emoji13]

I would be extremely interested in that, in fact I was holding off on a short throw shifter kit until I got the gated shifter. I'd be much more interested in buying them at the same time. Would that be coming out aroind the same time as the stock shift pattern or would that be a priority after the stock one is out? Sorry I'm bombarding you with questions, but I've wanted a gated shifter pretty much my entire life [emoji13]
We don't blame you! It's a blast to drive with it in our FoST. The short throw kit would be offered after the introduction of the stock shift compatible gated shift plate. Unfortunately, we don't have the manpower right now to develop all the products we want to in parallel [:(]. So, we have to prioritize based on what we believe makes the most sense.

We don't blame you! It's a blast to drive with it in our FoST. The short throw kit would be offered after the introduction of the stock shift compatible gated shift plate. Unfortunately, we don't have the manpower right now to develop all the products we want to in parallel [:(]. So, we have to prioritize based on what we believe makes the most sense.
Either way, chalk me up as a pretty much guarantee. When you put a short throw plate on would it change the shape of the H pattern or only the height (fwd & aft distance)? What I mean is would it be possible to design the short throw plate to be compatible with the stock pattern, or is it an unknown at this point?

Either way, chalk me up as a pretty much guarantee. When you put a short throw plate on would it change the shape of the H pattern or only the height (fwd & aft distance)? What I mean is would it be possible to design the short throw plate to be compatible with the stock pattern, or is it an unknown at this point?
If the short throw plate was installed on a stock shift vehicle, the slots wouldn't be long enough to engage the gears. A stock plate on a short throw vehicle would work in theory, but you wouldn't get the clink sounds because the shift lever couldn't hit the end of the slot.

OP
M
Thread Starter #17
Great to see this thread going. I am really interested in this but don't want to get give up my FSWerks short shifter kit so this might not be an option for me. Can you document how its made so a few of the guys like myself might give it a shot ourselves? Thanks for the input everyone

Great to see this thread going. I am really interested in this but don't want to get give up my FSWerks short shifter kit so this might not be an option for me. Can you document how its made so a few of the guys like myself might give it a shot ourselves? Thanks for the input everyone
I'm pretty sure they have some stuff on designing the FoST gated shift plate on their instagram. It looks like they 3D scan all the movements of the shiftier, then CnC a block of Al to fit where the boot normally goes. But if they are going to make a short throw pattern you could wait, sell the FSWerks kit and get their Gated+Short Shift

Brothers Tuning Detroit
www.brotherstuning.com
@BrosTuningDET
So I have a question about the development for this; do you have any mechanism that acts as a reverse lockout? Whenever I'm able to get the shift plate I'm worried about accidentally throwing it in reverse. Have you attempted any sort of detent plate to keep the shifter from accidentally going into reverse? Is it even that big of a problem?

So I have a question about the development for this; do you have any mechanism that acts as a reverse lockout? Whenever I'm able to get the shift plate I'm worried about accidentally throwing it in reverse. Have you attempted any sort of detent plate to keep the shifter from accidentally going into reverse? Is it even that big of a problem?
Yes, we considered this in our design. There is no physical reverse lockout like the stock one. However, the plate "wall" blocks the lever from going into reverse following the Neutral side to side path. You have to move the lever a few millimeters toward 1st gear, then over into reverse.