Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Front license plate removal?

Anyone tried to remove the mounting bracket for the front license plate? Not sure if this has been posted... but I did look.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

STooge

Its been talked about here a little bit. I think that there are rivets in the bracket holding it to the bumper cover. you can drill them out and remove it but it will leave some hols in your bumper. Its sad that Ford has "made this choice for us" in the states that require it.

OP
keeptheheat1
Thread Starter #3
Well a friend told me Texas stopped requiring it... but your right it is sad

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
I don't know what Ford was thinking using rivits, I think they did the same with the old SVT Focus. The Focus ST on the other hand I think the brackets mount to the grill which is easily removalable.

Are the plate brackets installed at the manufacturing plant ? Or is it up to the dealer to install them when they do the PDI

Spoke to my salesman when I ordered my car last week and told him I do not want the front license plate bracket on . He said its a hit or miss on if they come with the plate bracket or not . Then I spoke to another guy at the dealer and he told me I will document for you not to install the plate bracket when they do the PDI . Also my friend purchased a regular focus 2013 and his father also bought a F150 . My buddy also told me that both of there vehicles were delivered without the front plate bracket .

So i am lost lol thats why Im asking what has happened with you guys . Jeez I hate front plates lol

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
It's a plant installed item for $0 wither you chose it or not, the dealer needs to request to have it not installed or don't add it to the order.

You know for sure that is how it is ? Just find it odd my buddy told me him or his father did not request to have the front plate bracket not installed .

I just bought the car so I don't se why there is any reason why I can't request to have the plate bracket not installed . Just don't want to cause any headaches to the sales man lol

I also did take a look at a few other cars in the lot and some of them did not have the plate bracket on the car so Its kind of boggling with my head .

C. love

I had mine come with it too after i told the salesmen to not put it on, I am guessing he didn't contact the factory on it.
To remove them you will need to drill the rivets out then you will have holes so you will need to fill them then repaint the bumper. I will just leave mine for now as I am doing this with another car and state highway patrol here are jerks about no front plate

STooge

Yeah that's why ford does it. If it's a law in your state it's installed no ifs ands buts. Kinda crummy. Should still be our decision.

I still want to know how to get that plate holder off. I have drilled out the cores of the rivets but they are not moving. I really want it off.

I dont know if any of you guys are still trying to figure this out, but I used a 1/4 inch drill bit to drill out the rivet cores. 1/4 inch sounds big, but believe it or not, its pretty close to the rivet core diameter. Then, just pry the license plate bracket straight forward to disconnect the remaining two connection points. You are left with two holes in the bumper, but given the way Ford installs this thing, that's unavoidable. I have a black FIST so its not as noticeable as it would be with say a white one, but I still may have a body shop fill and paint the holes down the road. Let me know if you want to see a picture and I will get one later tonight.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
It is not always that States require it.....they are installed by the dealer. I picked my new ST up a few days ago to find a big dealership ad plate on the front.....problem is that front plates are not required in this state.They do it just to put the dealership ad plates on all the new cars at that dealership. And it ends up costing us the anxiety of drilling them out then buying expensive body colored plugs to fill the holes. One of the things I like styling is the front of the ST.....the license plate ruins the whole look to me.

Plate does seriously ruin the look. What I found out when I ordered mine is that most but not all of the factory shifts install the plate bracket before the car ever leaves the factory. The system here in CA wouldn't let them modify the bracket requirement. We sent special notes not to mount it, and I saw it when it came off the truck with the plate bracket already installed. They said almost all orders show up with a bracket installed from factory, occasionally one will show up without, but only if transferred from a state that doesn't require front plates.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Mine didn't have when I test drove it but when picked up it was on it :( I wish I told them not to put on. Lol first thing I did when pulled in my driveway with car was run and get drill to get it off lol.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
It is shown as a "free" factory option on my Sticker at this dealership to have it installed at assembly. The GA dealer I bought mine from had all cars and trucks delivered with it to attach a dealer ad plate. The other dealer in GA had no cars or trucks with it as did the 2 dealers in TN. So in my case and I suspect many others it is just a butt hole dealer wanting a place for a big "JOE BLOW FORD" plate on the car. I just installed the "Bumper Plugs" on mine and it looks 100% better. Used a sharp knife to clean the hole and they popped right in. They are painted to match your vehicle....in my case White Platinum. Almost $40 delivered but much less $$ and hassle of having a body shop near my car that is 5 days old!