Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Spark plug tech

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I had them either in the Scion SC or Matrix turbo then had to go hotter if I recall.....been sitting for years now.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I just ordered 8 more NGK's so I will have enough to make sure I find one with the right index then I will have two sets to sell for a good price for some lucky guys, or gals.....:)

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Question for those of you that have already changed out plugs to one range cooler and are indexing them....

To confirm what I've read through so far....

1) NGK LTR7IX-11 is the preferred one range cooler plug used

2) Gap set @ .030

3) All plugs indexed with the open electrode side set to either (4 to 5) or (7 to 8) o'clock position...(For reference 6'oclock position is facing front towards intake manifold)

Appreciate your inputs....thx

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I have four NGK LTR7IX-11 plugs in my car, three indexed really well but one is off a bit more than I would like.

Rick
What position are you indexing your plugs at Rick?

I read early on in this thread where some are indexing with the open electrode side set to either (4 to 5) or (7 to 8) o'clock position...(For reference 6'oclock position is facing front towards intake manifold)....Is this the same indexing strategy your currently using?

thx!

btw...Does anyone know if "pelotonracer2" still with our forum?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
4 o'clock, 2,3,4 indexed right on, #1 indexed around 11 oclock

From "what did you do to your Fiesta today" post I made last night.

"More tuning runs, getting it about as good as 91 is going to get but cyl 1 is not allowing timing to be advanced as far as the rest would allow. I put in colder plugs and 2-4 indexed perfectly but #1 is off quite a bit. I have 8 more plugs due tomorrow to make sure I can get #1 indexed then will do more data logs to see if that helps. Once done I already have the starter E30 tune loaded and will go pick up some E85 to start that tune:)"

I seems like the one plug that was not indexed well caused the timing issues, I will know as soon as the plugs arrive today and I find the right one to match the others then go make more runs, today I am making 3rd gear runs on to maps and then again 4th gear runs on them as the tuning is probably about as good as it will get on 91, just tweaking it a bit more.

I am probably going to tune on Torco instead of E30 for now as not going to use the car much during the winter and not tracking it, I have some Torco and can get it easily in the mail or not to far away. I worked this out yesterday to help make a decision.

--------------

It sucks that I have two 30 gallon fuel tanks and a electric fuel pump station in my trailer but I cannot carry much fuel due to the weight past the rear axle when the car is in the back and the total weight of the trailer is past the legal limit if I carry much fuel or water.

I sat here and did some calculations, some pretty exact, some close in my head, some rough but close enough.....

1) I have to carry the E85 in cans in the bed of my truck, fill then, carry them, load, unload, pour into the car......not easy when been hit by a crane working on the railroad in the 70's and other injuries and supposedly disabled twice.....

2) For now, 200 mile round trip to get E85 but later not such a hassle.

3) Octane rating, 97 octane rating is what I found but another site said 102 so I am not sure yet but I have from a good source now more like 97 but the alcohol helps in cooling so it works like higher than 97.

4) Cost, very reasonable but it takes more fuel, here around $3.49 gallon when mixed with 91 octane. It uses more fuel to make the power so I am estimating around $3.99 or more compared to using 91 and the additive below in actual cost per mile. Then more fill ups, more work, more to carry around.

---------------------

Torco

1) qt cans, easy to store, room for a lot of it, low weight, easy to handle, easy on my back, saves weight which i really need to do in the rig.

2) Mail order, $20 qt delivered or $12 qt in 5 gallon pail.

3) QT with 10 gallons +11 octane so even 87 becomes 99 or 91 becomes 102, etc.....

4) cost, approx $5.69 per gallon mixed with 91 when buying cases of qts, $4.89 a gallon if buying in 5 gallon can which can make 200 gallons of fuel. I can buy a case of qts and reuse the cans to make refueling easy.

5) storage no worries, long shelf life, I can keep it in the tool box in the truck bed and along with the diesel fuel additive and extra urea.

6) I have a can and can dump it in after the spark plug change and final 91 tune and then tune as soon as I drive around and mix it in.

7) pretty easy to get the right mix since 10 gallons per qt, just get the tank low and add ten gallons and dump it in.

---------------------

I would still like the E30 tune for possible later use but mostly it would be to show what it can do but the torco is the same thing as far as octane but might make more power as more organic compounds, more energy, or just save on consumption....at least it would help others know what E30 can do with this turbo.

For me, for now, Torco really makes more sense If can get 102 octane for $4.89 per gallon, 98 was $10.49 at the track!

And I only need it for the track, not on the street, the car is plenty fast on the 91 great tune you have done and still tweaking a bit:)

---------------------

I think I need to go the Torco route and if I ever run out NOS has a very good version I could use in a pinch.

---------------------------

Once I have a ready source of E85, like pumps I can fill with close to tracks I intend to run, etc....I can run an E30 tune but for now the Torco makes much more sense logistically.

---------------------------

Let me know what you guys think.

Rick

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I read a ton of reviews but users of both, they have their pluses and minuses and some detractors but when somebody has used it for years in place of 107 octane in an 850HP engine without an issues, another guy has used it in racing for years in booted cars....it is made by the company that make great race fuel and they say when mixed with pump gas it is nearly identical to their own race fuel......I read dozens of reviews and nearly every word was of praise.

I really want to get the E30 tune for others to see what it will do but I think we are going to have about the same results with either one.

Just make sure your plugs are indexed properly:)

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I guess I kind of did answer my own questions but just looking for confirmation here as never had anything to do with Ethanol before.

----------------------

Torco has more pluses than minuses for my needs unless E30 would make more power, enough to make it worth dealing with it that is.

My choices would be E30 or 102 octane race gas made with Torco, which will make the most power?

I just found out I can be a Torco dealer without a buy in and they are close to where I can have it picked up and shipped to me as I travel so the logistics and looks like price, once I get that info, works really well.

I can also have it drop shipped for a bit more cost.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I just wish I knew if one made significant power over the other:)

One more thing going for E30, when you get the meter sorted out, no questions about having the right ratio, big plus for E30!

Sekred

1000 Post Club
I just wish I knew if one made significant power over the other:)

One more thing going for E30, when you get the meter sorted out, no questions about having the right ratio, big plus for E30!
Calculate the octane number E30 mix verse your Torco mix.

This is the maths formula I use. I will use a E30 mix as a example, sorry but it will be a metric calculation.

50 Litre tank of fuel, E30 and 91 AKI

(15 litres x 99.15 AKI) + (35 litres x 91 AKI) and divide that by 50 litres.

1487.25 + 3185 = 4672.25.

Divided 4672.25 by 50 = 93.44

So your E30 mix will give you a AKI number of 93.44.

razorlab

1000 Post Club
The octane rating is only one part of the equation of the benefits of Ethanol but I understand why you are applying it here.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Alcohol has a great cooling effect thus more timing can be added as less detonation but takes more fuel. Growing corn, a dirty business, to make alcohol, not the best for the environment

Higher Octane race fuel is to reduce detonation and allow more timing but takes less fuel but costs a fortune.

Torco, easier in many ways, reasonable cost, decently easy logistics, but I need to research environmental issues, I do care, why I have a cat.

That is why meth/water injection works so well, until it fails.....I have been informed there are some great fail safe systems out there and you can run winter formula windshield washer fluid, which I did in a pinch years ago when out of methanol.......but the logistics or using mwi is not that great.
Pretty low cost to buy the fluid unless running 50/50 meth and water like I did years ago, what a pain in the arse that was and adding more parts, simpler is always better.......And you have fill a tank and keep an eye on it but the fail safe system might warn you in time to change the tune.......

Out of the 4 above there are issues with them all, if we could just buy high octane fuel at pumps all over for a good price that would be a dream come true! As long as at least decently clean to burn.

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Lowering combustion temps is what I figured. I can buy E10/100 but it is a little hard to come by. I will have to make the effort to find a outlet, maybe a E10/100 plus 15% Toluene mix and I will have rocket fuel, lol.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Questions about indexing spark plugs:

1) Are all plugs made with different indexing?
I just got 8 more plugs and opened them up, they are not factory indexed the same.

2) Are the plug bores in the head indexed or random?

3) In the days we live in why are things like this still made below what they could or should be?

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Looks like its random.
As regards the plug holes in the cylinder head, It must come down to exactly where the plug thread cut starts. It probably costs time/money during manufacture.

As far as indexing spark plugs and the performance gain, it varies with the engine design. Facing the plug gap towards the exhaust valves maybe a rule of thumb method but its not always the idea location or at least that is my understanding of plug indexing from what I have read.