Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

91 Civic LX diagnosis

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
My son picked up a cheap ($800) 91 Civic LX (with D15B2 16V SOHC, Manual) that had been sitting for a year and had not been driven much before that. Needing some help diagnosing what is going on.

Below symptoms are per the kid:
Randomly won't start or dies and won't start:
  • Cranks fine but seems to crank "quicker than normal"
  • He fiddles with/unplugs sparkplug wires/ distributor wire
  • It eventually cranks normal and starts fine
  • 5 full tanks of gas used to date
  • Fuel efficiency is "bad, 250 miles per tank"
  • Dying
    • Seems to happen at low rpms, like during a launch from stop condition
    • Revving higher during launch seems to help prevent
    • Not related to fullness of gas tank (does when 100% & 20% full)
My guess is a fuel issue and the fiddling of the wires is a placebo. I have recommended replacing the fuel filter at minimum. (I figure bad/old gas & h2o accumulation would be gone by now.) And I would probably replace the sparkplug wires/distro wires as a mater of course since they could be worn out by this point. Also recommended checking the grounding wires. The rapid crank over does not make much sense to me: that could mean no cylinder pressure so an open valve? Stuck valve? But wouldn't that just be for a single piston and just run rough? Plugged Cat (it does burn a little bit of oil I was told by previous owner)?

Ideas?

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Compression test is easy. Plugs/wires/distributor are cheap/easy things to rule out and should be done anyways. 90s Hondas crank "quick" in my experience but it's all relative. Might be a gummy throttle body?

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Change out the fuel filter.

Run a can of Seafoam through the engine (1/2 in gas tank to clean injectors, other 1/2 through vacuum line into cylinders).

Change out spark plugs and wires.

Oil change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
kivnul

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
Thread Starter #5
Is it a Vtec engine?
As far as I can tell, No.

I will recommend the SeaFoam treatment to him. Already having him run some IsoHeat in case there is still water left in the tank. He has a fuel filter in hand now, hopefully he installs it soon. I highly recommended new ignition wires to him but he hasn't purchased any yet.