Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

A/C + engine temp issue

Hey all -

Got about 51k miles on my 2016 Ford Fiesta ST. LOVE the car but recently I've encountered a serious problem that no one can solve.

Here's what's up:

Conditions:
1. Weather is warm (80+)
2. I drive for around 10 - 15 miles.
3. I sit idle for a time(like at a busy drive-thru).
4. I'm running a/c.

What happens:

1. When running the a/c the humidity returns to the air and eventually the air becomes warm
2. The engine temp gauge shows the temp all the way to H.
3. The engine temp light comes on.
4. The car frequently dings 5 times.
5. The problem is intermittent and difficult to replicate. When the shop looked at it today they had me turn the car off and back on. And once I did so everything was fine. No engine temp light, no dinging, engine temp gauge was right in the middle as usual and the a/c was cold again.
No more than ten seconds had passed between turning it off and on.
---
When driving under these conditions (I drove to an open mechanic shop down the road) the car is very sluggish and steam was coming up off the front passenger side of the hood.

What I tried:
1. Searched this forum and found a thread that describes this issue which suggests it's the fan relay and that there was a recall for it. Checked for that recall on my car but neither Ford nor the NHTSA have any notice about a recall for my vehicle.

2. Took it to the local mechanic I trust and he couldn't find any problem. Adjust mentioned the fan relay issue and they checked but didn't see anything wrong with it.

3. Scheduled an appointment with the local Ford dealer. Day before the appointment I get a call from them. They told me if the issue isn't happening right then and there - there's nothing they can do because they're are no codes for an engine temp light after it's off.

So coming here is my last hope. Hoping someone here can offer advice or direction otherwise I'm going to have to sell it. I don't want to but I need a car I know will be able to get me to my destination and back without having such a major malfunction.

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Just had this exact same issue. If your car was locked at H you really need to do a leak down test on the head, it's possible the head lifted due to warpage and even if it didn't you really need to be certain. I never let it get to this point but I had the gauge about half way past the middle and the end and was still concerned so I checked my head too. The max temp you can take before you start running into issues with aluminum warpage is 240. This doesn't mean it will warp but the higher it goes the more likely it is. Your fan control unit is going and you need to replace that. You can order one from AutoZone but it will tell you it doesn't fit and it will take some custom wiring. Or, the only other option is to replace the entire fan and control unit with a motorcraft brand fan. They are the only solution for this replacement that comes with both the fan and the control unit. Your looking at 300 bucks from tasca for the fan and control unit. Here's the part https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-part...9Zmllc3RhJnk9MjAxNyZ0PXN0JmU9MS02bC1sNC1nYXM=

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
The reason the ac is getting hot is because no air is being pushed through the condenser therefore it can't cool the air. This is indicative of a fan issue. And that's why I know this is what it is. Mine was intermittent too until it just completely stopped turning on.

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
So also another thing, if you handy get under the car and you'll see a box located on the fan shroud. This is the control unit, take a Phillips screw driver and remove the 2 screws holding it there and remove the 2 harnesses. One is from the main harness the other is for the fan. Check the terminals and wires on the fan side, if it shorted right at the fan you may just need the fan but these things short ALOT and if you do a comprehensive search of the forums quite a few people have issues with them. Your looking for a burnt connector.

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
https://www.autozone.com/cooling-he...-engine-cooling-fan-module-902-503/178757_0_0

This is the fan control unit I bought and is a carbon copy of the one I took off. My wires were fucked so I had to run custom wiring but it's worked ever since. If your harness is okay, or you can find a new one and splice it into the old wiring it'll work for you too.

OP
J
Thread Starter #6
Thanks so much for the info Rocket! I'm not too handy but my father is (he was a mechanical engineer for over 30 years). I'll bring this to him and see what we can do.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
RockAuto sells the OEM fan assembly for about $240 you can get 5% off by putting a discount code in the "how did you hear about us section" and their shipping prices are usually significantly better than the OEM Ford part sites.

In the future regardless of the car you're driving if it overheats stop driving it immediately and turn it off.

You desperately need to find a better mechanic shop.

Also RockAuto does sell that particular fan control module just put the part number in the search function. It is $43 cheaper than AutoZone.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
RockAuto sells the OEM fan assembly for about $240 you can get 5% off by putting a discount code in the "how did you hear about us section" and their shipping prices are usually significantly better than the OEM Ford part sites.

In the future regardless of the car you're driving if it overheats stop driving it immediately and turn it off.

You desperately need to find a better mechanic shop.

Also RockAuto does sell that particular fan control module just put the part number in the search function. It is $43 cheaper than AutoZone.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Didn't know this, thanks for the info.

Ford Community Posts