Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

A hybrid turbo on a stock tune...what would happen?

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Say I had the whoosh hybrid and took the car back to the dealer for some warranty work or some such and I flashed back to stock tune. I'm aware that they can see if the ECU has been flashed if they look for it, but if they didn't, would the car behave like stock? Or would the additional flow trigger CEL's?

wetwea33

Say I had the whoosh hybrid and took the car back to the dealer for some warranty work or some such and I flashed back to stock tune. I'm aware that they can see if the ECU has been flashed if they look for it, but if they didn't, would the car behave like stock? Or would the additional flow trigger CEL's?
Absolutely do not do that. It will run like shit.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

haste

1000 Post Club
Should be ok as long as you don't go WOT. When I installed my x37, Adam said I could drive it with the Cobb OTS tune, just not full throttle. I drove it about 100 miles after installing it without a problem.

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Could potentially blow through a piston at wot or partial wot due to lack of fuel caused by overheated pistons or improper afr. Car would compensate quick enough with a tune but without it car wouldn't know wtf was going on and would probably pull timing, hopefully quick enough but if not you'd detonate your engine.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

OP
G

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
Terrible idea the dealer may have to drive the car.
If they blow up your car in the process that's on you.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Good point. I wouldn't surprise me if they would. I'll have to weigh the future of warranty work against the risk of modding.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Good point. I wouldn't surprise me if they would. I'll have to weigh the future of warranty work against the risk of modding.
WHY I am holding off on any turbo (or even any major/noticeable under hood mods at all) until AFTER the power train warranty is up (and it's fully paid off), yes, despite the whole "life's too short" adage. [wink]

(And I am much closer to that 'short end' than most on here! LOL)

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
WHY I am holding off on any turbo (or even any major/noticeable under hood mods at all) until AFTER the power train warranty is up (and it's fully paid off), yes, despite the whole "life's too short" adage. [wink]

I voided my warranty at 12k miles.... I don't recommend it to anyone without a second car lol.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I voided my warranty at 12k miles.... I don't recommend it to anyone without a second car lol.

Yup, this is my ONLY car, so even if I could afford one of those 'junkyard Escape motors', when the factory one goes, I am S.O.L. until it gets everything converted over, and installed into this car, unless I rent something, for yet another $300.00+ per week during the downtime. [:(]

PhoenixM3

All of my cars get voided soon after I buy them.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I am technically voiding my warranty oh well. I am already two years in with only 12k at this rate the warranty by the year will be up before the mileage is might as well have fun. Ya I have a second car and ya I can afford one. So its like ya fun times . Its not that I don’t drive this car its just between having two cars and rona its not like I am driving all over the place.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
All of my cars get voided soon after I buy them.
Obviously, if you have a GT350R sitting in the garage, and a backup car (Fusion) as well, you can FULLY afford to be, and not be totally inconvenienced to be long term rebuilding/replacing the power/drive train of the FiST, if necessary.

Not so much the case with me, being an only car, and on somewhat of a fixed low income (well, VERY fixed compared to most on here LOL). [wink] [:(]

Se7eN

A friend removed the turbo and took the car to the dealer after it grenaded the engine. Had about 13k miles on the car so Ford replaced the Engine. He was lucky though and also a mechanic to making the swap to him was a easy thing. (not for everyone)

one half way option is to ask your tuner for a file that's safe and runs stock boost levels. take it to the dealer with that. dealers who really care can tell if you've flashed your car even if you take it back to stock tune. most won't check for this until there is a good suspicion or reason. It's morally fine since modding your car doesn't void a warranty until the part specifically causes it. not that I would offer a dealer more information that needed. I say this as somebody who's gotten modded cars warrantied a few times over the last 20 years.

Last edited:

Dialcaliper

Reply to an old thread, but I couldn’t help but mention an old trick from the DSM community used for break-in on a new motor/turbo or if you have to use the a stock ecu for some reason.

Get under the car, disconnect the wastegate flapper from the actuator, and secure the actuator rod so it can still move but won’t flop around. Without the wastegate spring or boost control, the turbo won’t be able to make boost, and you’ll be able to drive around safely in closed loop until you can get a proper tune

In a newer car, there’s a chance if you go WOT it will cause the ECU to throw a code because it’s expecting boost, but it will allow you to drive around safely without risk of grenading your engine.

Magnetic

I've been tuned for almost 60K miles on Whosh's turbo and romp on it all the time. Not a single issue. I'm at 88K miles and the only thing that needed replacing was the cooling system expansion tank. And I'm due for a clutch something this year hopefully next month with LSD. Nothing to worry about. It'll take it lol