Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

A log from the track

razorlab

1000 Post Club
I posted this in my build thread but it could get buried quick and I know some people might not even look at my build thread. ;)

Since I am a data junky, I was really looking forward to datalogging at the track today @ Thunderhill. I have 5 sessions worth of datalogs to comb over but here is the first interesting one.

This is a datalog of my last session of the day in the afternoon. About four full laps of a 2.8 mile course. It was about 95* ambient at the time. The hottest session.

My selection is over the peak numbers for the datalog while on track.

Couple things to note:

1. Correlation between Charge Temp and Coolant temp, the plots almost mirror each other. We really need a upgraded radiator option!
2. Intake temp. How rock steady is that mofo? Stock intake down to the paper filter. Guess it works well.
3. Zero knock except a single 1 blip. Guess my track tune is working. ;)
4. Oil temps. Getting toasty. From what I know from tracking Evos, cooler oil temps will also equal cooler water temps, and vice versa.

Really interesting graphs. I'm with you on the radiator. Some people think its snake oil but I've always been a big believer in Water Wetter to help in the mean time.

Do you think an oil cooler will be necessary for frequent track users or just higher quality oil and radiator upgrade? Are you running the factory stock Motorcraft?

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thanks for posting this:)

A much bigger radiator might do the trick with the factory oil to water cooling but some testing will have to be done to make sure, it would help most certaily, enough I cannot tell, just speculate.

Opening up more of the grill will help as well as drilling holes in the crash beam sensor bar, it is a terrible design, blocking and causing major disturbance to the air flow as well as the vertical section, drill those out, open up more of the grill, has to help!

Since no radiator yet I disconnected the stock oil to water cooler and installed a Mocal T stat plate and Setrab cooler, good parts, no worries about failures.

Water wetter will help a bit as well as running less antifreeze and more distilled water, just match it to your weather, down south you hardly need any antifreeze year round, up north you can run a summer and winter blend.

Have you considered the 0w-30? That's the magic German Castrol. Its in the same bottle as the 5w-30 but its a totally different animal.

I ran it in my turbo SE-R and my VVL SE-Rs it would run almost 20 degrees cooler than other standard synthetic oils. It would also hold substantially more psi at idle well into the oil change interval versus other synthetics.

OP
razorlab

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
Have you considered the 0w-30? That's the magic German Castrol. Its in the same bottle as the 5w-30 but its a totally different animal.

I ran it in my turbo SE-R and my VVL SE-Rs it would run almost 20 degrees cooler than other standard synthetic oils. It would also hold substantially more psi at idle well into the oil change interval versus other synthetics.
How do I find it?

Is this it? http://www.amazon.com/Castrol-06244-0W-30-Synthetic-Motor/dp/B007G7PUMS

I used 10w-50 Redline in my Evo 8 for track use but I'm not going to spend that sort of money on the FiST.

Siestarider

Great info. Wonder if the remote oil cooler option would relieve radiator enough to keep stock? If remote OC will suffice.

How do I find it?

Is this it? http://www.amazon.com/Castrol-06244-0W-30-Synthetic-Motor/dp/B007G7PUMS

I used 10w-50 Redline in my Evo 8 for track use but I'm not going to spend that sort of money on the FiST.
That may be it but the GC (German Castrol) is usually only at Autozone for some strange reason. If you read the back its the only one that says "Made in Germany" and its the truth. Much cheaper than Eneos, Redline, Amsoil etc.

:bowdown:

Finally some hard data. The coolant temp vs. charge temp graph is super interesting to me. Thanks for that!

OP
razorlab

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
As another data point. There was another FiST there. 100% stock, stock tune, everything. I believe he was stating he was hitting 230-240c coolant temps.

As another data point. There was another FiST there. 100% stock, stock tune, everything. I believe he was stating he was hitting 230-240c coolant temps.
I can believe it. That's what I was hitting last time I was at the track. Even switching to a 80/20 mix of coolant just slowed down the process, but it eventually got too hot.

FMIC looks like it helps quite a bit even on coolant temps!

OP
razorlab

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
I can believe it. That's what I was hitting last time I was at the track. Even switching to a 80/20 mix of coolant just slowed down the process, but it eventually got too hot.

FMIC looks like it helps quite a bit even on coolant temps!
I was also running approx 27whp/73wtq more than that car and on E30. So very happy that I was also running lower temps.

I was also running approx 27whp/73wtq more than that car and on E30. So very happy that I was also running lower temps.
So I wonder if just going to an aftermarket FMIC on a stock car would make a considerable amount of difference on charge and coolant temps. I figure you wouldn't need a tune with a FMIC as it would just keep the charge temps down and the stock tune would be happy with that.

OP
razorlab

razorlab

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
So I wonder if just going to an aftermarket FMIC on a stock car would make a considerable amount of difference on charge and coolant temps. I figure you wouldn't need a tune with a FMIC as it would just keep the charge temps down and the stock tune would be happy with that.
That is my theory as hotter air going into the motor will heat it up too. I should have asked him about his charge temps too. He said he was going to try and get on the forums.

Siestarider

What a dataset! Wowzer. Beautiful lapping consistency too, the graphs clearly show this is not your first rodeo. Never over 21 psi boost or 5600 rpm. Now I have to read your build thread. Great stuff.