Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Air only coming out of defrost, no clicking noise

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
In this thread, people are saying there are 3 actuators. I only know of 2.
The driver's side is the one that controls the vents. The passenger's side controls the recirculation.
I'm not sure if there's a 3rd, but I'm confident that the driver's side controls the different vents.
Yes, we have 3 of them. The one that never seems to get replaced is the one on top. I'm not even sure how it is accessible.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

OP
J
Thread Starter #22
In this thread, people are saying there are 3 actuators. I only know of 2.
The driver's side is the one that controls the vents. The passenger's side controls the recirculation.
I'm not sure if there's a 3rd, but I'm confident that the driver's side controls the different vents.
Appreciate this! I'm going to poke around later and see what I can figure out.

I've also seen others suggest that there are three and that the third is buried behind the dash, really hoping that's not the case.

OP
J
Thread Starter #23
Yes, we have 3 of them. The one that never seems to get replaced is the one on top. I'm not even sure how it is accessible.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Have you ever seen anything that definitely says what each of the 3 do?

SteveS

1000 Post Club
So going from that diagram and picture, the Driver Side is the Mode Door Actuator, The passenger side is the Recirculation actuator, and the Other one is the actual Blend Door (temperature mixing) actuator.
That's what I believe. At least, that's how they are named in the service manual.

OP
J
Thread Starter #28
So going from that diagram and picture, the Driver Side is the Mode Door Actuator, The passenger side is the Recirculation actuator, and the Other one is the actual Blend Door (temperature mixing) actuator.
Appreciate this interpretation! Hopefully, I'll get around to opening up the dash and manually moving the gear to see if it moves the air down from the defrost to the vents. Wanted to do that before I went ahead and bought the part.

OP
J
Thread Starter #29
Just an update on this in case anyone else has the same issue. It did end up being the drivers side blend door. When I took the old one out the white plastic piece that goes into the gear actually feel off, so I'm guessing that was what failed and not the internal gearing which causes the clicking. Was able to do the change in about a half an hour given my experience doing it two years ago. Thanks to everyone for their help with this!

Just an update on this in case anyone else has the same issue. It did end up being the drivers side blend door. When I took the old one out the white plastic piece that goes into the gear actually feel off, so I'm guessing that was what failed and not the internal gearing which causes the clicking. Was able to do the change in about a half an hour given my experience doing it two years ago. Thanks to everyone for their help with this!
Finally getting around to doing this myself. Just bought and swapped the passenger side thinking the exact same since my car has the EXACT symptoms and I changed the driver side a couple years back as well. Swapped it and nothing fixed so I put the original back on and will return the one I just bought… dreading doing the driver side again 😩. I, however, do hear a ticking but it is ULTRA soft and subtle and doesn’t always happen which I why I assumed it was the passenger side.

glad I found this thread