Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

AIRTEC Motorsport enlarged turbo inlet 2014-2019 Fiesta ST

OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #24
I would do the manifold first, dyno it see what it does. Then install the intake pipe, then dyno again. If you install both then dyno you will not know which part helped or hurt you.
yeah that sounds to be the best option. In that case I’ll see if I can order the manifold next week.
Can the manifold be installed without unbolting the turbo? If it can’t then I’ll have to get my mechanic to install it.

OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #25
I'm not expecting any gains from the manifold or the inlet, to be honest but I'm following for results.

The stock turbo housing is the restriction, not the parts leading to it.
I honestly don’t know what’s going to happen as far as gains. It’s a lot of fun experimenting with this stuff for me.
But for me, the main reason I’m installing the manifold is to hopefully see some quicker spool on the turbo and maybe get a light change in tone from the exhaust.
I’ve seen videos on YouTube mention it changing when a tubular manifold is added.
And there’s also the opportunity to answer the age old question we all wonder about what these parts do. So I figure why not see.
I also think in the future if I ever decided to go the S280 route, I would have pretty much everything I need already on the car for max gains.
But that’s later like next year later.

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
yeah that sounds to be the best option. In that case I’ll see if I can order the manifold next week.
Can the manifold be installed without unbolting the turbo? If it can’t then I’ll have to get my mechanic to install it.
I would think the turbo has to come off, to make room for the manifold to bolt in. Might to be able to unbolt the turbo from the stock manifold and shift it enough to remove the stock manifold and install the new one.

OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #27
I would think the turbo has to come off, to make room for the manifold to bolt in. Might to be able to unbolt the turbo from the stock manifold and shift it enough to remove the stock manifold and install the new one.
I'm trying to figure out a way to do it from the top. Like leaving the Turbo bolted to the DP then removing the manifold from above. Then dropping the new one in place and tightening to the Turbo and head.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm trying to figure out a way to do it from the top. Like leaving the Turbo bolted to the DP then removing the manifold from above. Then dropping the new one in place and tightening to the Turbo and head.
I have done it this way, it requires a lot of patience.

Also the manifold will not change the spool time of the stock turbo. Its so small that it literally will not make any difference, maybe a slight change in sound, but I don't remember there being a big difference.

OP
Magnetic

Magnetic

Thread Starter #33
I have done it this way, it requires a lot of patience.

Also the manifold will not change the spool time of the stock turbo. Its so small that it literally will not make any difference, maybe a slight change in sound, but I don't remember there being a big difference.
I'm trying to get it done on my own to save a trip to my mechanic (40 min away) and will probably budget for a Saturday and Sunday. At that point if I can't get it done I'll take it to the mechanic.

Right now I'm running the Whoosh Hybrid so hopefully it'll make a difference. I mean honestly, even 200-300RPM sooner is a win for me. I figure it'll bring the boost in a bit sooner and probably hold just as long. Goal being to just widen the power band even minimally. Plus a change in exhaust even small is good for me.

We'll find out soon!

PS: I may have to delay the manifold because my brake light just started appearing and I need to go BBK.

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
Alright the part is here! Very nice piece and actually very well thought out too!

View: https://youtu.be/PbCTnenDPa8

Here's a couple photos and one especially of the smooth taper on the inside of the inlet.
Giving this more thought, it really does not matter in which order you install the parts, just as long as you dyno in between. That is key. I'm looking for a shop so I can dyno. I used to use Akron Horse Power but they closed. So If anyone in the Akron area has a dyno they recommend let me know.