Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Another e85 thread...

So they just put in an e85 pump at the gas station near my work. I've read that e85 isn't *actually* e85 though and my question is...

If I get an e40 tune and run straight e85 (or whatever it actually is) is it still beneficial? What are the downsides here if I don't blend it? Is a content gauge a must have in this situation?

It's like $1.50/gal which is obviously a huge bonus, but the fact it's a domestic fuel is really the biggest factor for me.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
The Gas station with E85 where I go is on point. E85 is what actually comes out of the pump. It can vary though from E70-E85 if the pump is labeled E85. I do not recommend you running straight E85 on a E30/ E40 tune. I could be dangerous and damage your engine. It takes more ethanol by volume to produce the same energy as regular gas. This means that your ECU has to be programmed to tell the fuel pump to pump more fuel with the ethanol. You tend to see tuners stop at E30/ E40 with the FiST as after that point, the fuel system starts to struggle to keep up.
You don't have to have a ECA / guage, but it does make blending easier and safer. It you are tuned for E30/ E40... You must blend the gas and E85 to get E30/ E40 respectively. Google "ethanol mixing calculator " and there are calculators to help you get the right blend.
Also note...using ethanol doesn't save you money as your fuel mileage will go down with it. What makes it good is that the octane rating is higher allowing a tuner to run more timing, etc., which tends to make more power...with the expense of having to adjust the tune to push more fuel.

ryst

So they just put in an e85 pump at the gas station near my work. I've read that e85 isn't *actually* e85 though and my question is...
The ethanol percentage CAN vary from station to station and season to season, but mostly only if you live in a cold climate. Someone on the forums mentioned that they tested their E85 in California, and every single time it was exactly E85. I've also read of people testing in cold weather climates and they tested E70 in the winter and E85 in the summer, because of "winter blends" (Gas changes formulation in the winter too in cold weather climates). Your best bet is to test the gas.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I agree, no E85, running E30 or E40 you will need to blend it and be careful to make it as close as you can or just get a gauge but still have to pay attention and use two pumps all the time.

That is part of why I have an EFR turbo system in the works right now that I believe will make plenty of power on just pump gas so no mixing required, I will post updates as I can, should not be a real long wait:)

Also a little curious in this area. My '14 mustang was tuned for e85. It needed larger injectors even in stock form. But I was told that the ecu could compensate for e70 or e90 on its own. There's little to no information on flow capabilities with our FiSts. And boost loves ethanol. I'd love to see a turbo swap car running e85. Would it be worth the research to see if there's a tuner capable of working in a flex-fuel sensor? That way we're not calculating or swapping tunes at each fill up.

Kansas passed a law that advertised e-85 only has to be e50 at the minimum.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Would it be worth the research to see if there's a tuner capable of working in a flex-fuel sensor? That way we're not calculating or swapping tunes at each fill up.
Someone has, but he's no longer active here due to some conflicts on this forum. He's not as active, but once in awhile he pops in on the other fiesta forums. He's name is razorlab. On the other forums are detailed how-to guides for installing a flex fuel sensor and detailed guide on how to configure maps using Accesstuner Race.

Not sure if it's cool linking to competing forums here, so I won't but here's some info on my own build that incorporates a flex fuel sensor.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/3074-koozy-s-ST

JPGC

2000 Post Club
I will say that the hardware portion should be fairly easy as my Zeitronix ECA-2 already has the line in capability for a ecu /tuner adjustable set up. We would just need the software capability.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Someone mentioned that delicioustuning.com will have a flex fuel kit for the FiST around summertime. I hope Cobb releases something to incorporate ethanol blends with the Accessport/Tuner, but in the meantime on the fly map switching isn't bad at all.

I'll have to do some more digging once the time comes, then. I was wanting to do this to my mk1 MR2 but that was with a standalone. It sucks not knowing the limits of anything in these cars.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I've made over 260whp on E45 blend. Its so good, I can't even try to make a 93oct tune. I just want to either drive the car like a normal old fiesta on 93oct or drive the car like a mad man on E40-E45.

You can dump in 1-2'gal of E85 into a full tank of fuel, and you will notice a difference, even if your running cobb ots tunes.

My brother runs 2gal of E85 through his 2006 volvo S60 T5 now because it's a out the only thing that will make that turd run like it should, lol ( I hate volvos ).

I've also made 354ft. Lbs on torque on a stock fist turbo on 29.5psi at 2900rpm on E40. Of course the car fell on its face because the stock turbo is weak sauce as rpm rises, but its def an entertaining feeling. Like being rearend by a honda 4-wheeler going 55mph with the throttle stuck open, lol.

But... E85 is addicting. Trying a few gallons normally ends up leading to a tuner and/or a pro-tune with E30 map, lol.