Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Another question about Downpipes...

I feel like this topic has been posted about a ton, but I still can't really seem to find an answer to my question.

Long story short, I have an exhaust leak on my stock flex pipe, also the stock cat is either gone, or on its way out as I'm getting that classic sulfuric smell. So I need a replacement, I'm on a stock turbo, and everything that I'm reading so far says not to bother with a 3" downpipe, catted or not. Seeing as how I need to replace it anyway, and its not just for fun, will it really effect my performance negatively if I go 3" now? I'd rather not have to buy another DP when i eventually do go with a different turbo (whenever that may be).

Then is the question about catted or not. Most people on here seem genuinely concerned about emissions, which I am not, and the state of Maine doesn't require vehicles have any actual emissions testing (they just look for a check engine light) and I have my sticker license. So would there be any performance difference going catted vs catless? or is it simply down to the amount of turbo noises and smell I would notice?

Depending on which way I go, would it be necessary to update my vehicles tune because of the DP or would it be negligible?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I have heard time and again that the stock downpipe is nowhere near its capacity on the stock turbo and the gains seem to marginal on larger turbos. The stock turbo itself is the restriction between the two. I personally don't care much about sound and if my cat was going bad, I would probably just get another stock one for cheap. I wouldn't consider 3" unless I was planning on upgrading the turbo.

Last edited:

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I’ve had several combos including:

Stock turbo - stock downpipe, 3” catted, 3” catless

S280 - 3” catless

2860 - 3” catted, 3” catless

In the process of installing a G25 with 3.5” catless with recirculating wastegate and 3.5” catless with screamer pipe. Eventually I’ll have someone weld a cat and recirc wastegate into the screamer pipe version.

I never noticed a performance difference on stock turbo regardless of what downpipe was on it. YMMV

Sound wise, the catless downpipe with stock turbo and Cobb cbe was by far the best sound. Minimal difference with the 2860 going between catted and catless. Catless smells bad but you get way more turbine noise.

I’d go ahead and get a 3” either catted or catless. I always keep a catted and catless downpipe which I swap for inspections just in case, but we’re OBD scan only here as well.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
If you cant get a stock one cheap, I'd grab a catted one or non catted if you dont mind the smell. You;ll probably want a defouler spacer to avoid CEL unless you spend a little more money and grab a high quality one like Milltek or Mountune (mountune isnt available anymore though new at least)

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
But Whoosh catted with a defouler would probably be the lowest cost and good quality choice. It also fits way better than the milltek from what ive seen. I installed a milltek and its tight fitting