Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Anxiety relating to mod manufacturers

Hi all. I have anxiety problems that make me obsess over keeping the things I purchase for my hobbies consistent. For example, I wear Nike shirts and shorts when I skateboard because I skate in Nike shoes. I’d like to keep all my mods under one roof, but I’m struggling because it seems I’ll have to mix and match several different manufacturers. I love how Ron from Whoosh is so involved with the forums, which makes me want to get all Whoosh products, but I’m temped to get the entire Boomba Shift Kit rather than just the plate and bushings (maybe I should just get the plate and bushings through whoosh and ignore the arm). Any advice for minimizing the manufacturers? Right now my plans are as follows:
-Pedal Spacer (I already have one on the way from eBay)
-RMM
-Torsion/Traction Bars
-Lowering Sports Springs (mountune’s in particular catch my eye)
-High Flow Air Filter
-Intercooler/piping
-AP

An upgraded turbo is something I’ll definitely consider down the line. I also plan on upgrading to some Michelin Pilot Sport 3 or 4’s when the Bridgestone’s are through.

Any advice is welcomed. Let me know if there’s anything I should add to the list too.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
There is no way around not mixing manufacturers on mods. This is not clothing lines. The only way you could do something like that is if the Manufacturer stocked everything needed through a competition department something Datsun/Nissan did back in the day. Ford to a lesser extent depending on the model. Even then not everything available came from the same manufacturer.
Just like whether you choose to buy your parts solely from Mountune or Whoosh the former will have a lot of their own parts, while the latter has some of their own as well both also sell other manufacturers.
I can honestly say you need to get over your OCD or don’t mod your car . Acceptance is the key here.You have to learn to accept you will probably have different manufacturers parts on your car.
You actually do yourself a disservice by sticking to all one brand anyways as no manufacturer makes everything great for the most part. They have their strong points. IMO

OP
nachodaddy
Thread Starter #3
There is no way around not mixing manufacturers on mods. This is not clothing lines. The only way you could do something like that is if the Manufacturer stocked everything needed through a competition department something Datsun/Nissan did back in the day. Ford to a lesser extent depending on the model. Even then not everything available came from the same manufacturer.
Just like whether you choose to buy your parts solely from Mountune or Whoosh the former will have a lot of their own parts, while the latter has some of their own as well both also sell other manufacturers.
I can honestly say you need to get over your OCD or don’t mod your car . Acceptance is the key here.You have to learn to accept you will probably have different manufacturers parts on your car.
You actually do yourself a disservice by sticking to all one brand anyways as no manufacturer makes everything great for the most part. They have their strong points. IMO
Thank you for putting things into perspective. I’m going to try and push past it then and just research what the best manufacturer is for each part. Right now I’m having trouble deciding on the RMM and short shift. Mind telling me what mods you’ve done and through what manufacturers?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Save your money with the Pilot sport shit...get some Firestone firehawk indy 500s...fraction of the cost nice stickiness also...this is from personal Exp. They are a cousin of bridgstone keep in mind...the Bridgestones are the original Summer tires on the FiST from Ford on warm climate vehicles. There are some other decent priced tires when your stockers wear out also other than the Firestone's. If it's any consolation I have multiple aftermarket performance parts on my car....some have found they are mediocre and get replaced with something better....lesson learned.....I chalk it up to that saying as there are some parts that just dont fit right or perform as intended....all vendors have a couple of them trust me.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Spork1569

Thank you for putting things into perspective. I’m going to try and push past it then and just research what the best manufacturer is for each part. Right now I’m having trouble deciding on the RMM and short shift. Mind telling me what mods you’ve done and through what manufacturers?
RMM can vary from super stiff to almost factory like in terms of vehicle vibration. If you want little to no engine movement get the Boomba or AWR but expect an increase in vibration when taking off. If you want something a little better than stock try the Mountune or Cobb. Those have negligible vibration but still prevent enough movement to be noticeable.

I have the Mountune mount now and used to have the AWR 70A. Since my car is a DD the Mountune is awesome for having no increased vibes. It doesn't hook as well as the AWR did, but it also doesn't shake as violently around 900 rpms like the AWR did.

One problem I've heard people with my mount and maybe the Cobb one as well is squeaking, but that can be remidied with a little grease when installing.

As for short shift there's lots of brands but most are pretty similar except Mountune and boomba. Mountune has the shortest shift with a 30 percent reduction but installation is a bit more involved. I have the boomba and I chose it for the added weight in the adapter. Vudú and woosh are pretty similar from what I can tell, and I used to have an older version of the woosh kit that worked very well. Overall any brand of these will do the job but little nuances will help you decide which you want to go with.

OP
nachodaddy
Thread Starter #6
Save your money with the Pilot sport shit...get some Firestone firehawk indy 500s...fraction of the cost nice stickiness also...this is from personal Exp. They are a cousin of bridgstone keep in mind...the Bridgestones are the original Summer tires on the FiST from Ford on warm climate vehicles. There are some other decent priced tires when your stockers wear out also other than the Firestone's. If it's any consolation I have multiple aftermarket performance parts on my car....some have found they are mediocre and get replaced with something better....lesson learned.....I chalk it up to that saying as there are some parts that just dont fit right or perform as intended....all vendors have a couple of them trust me.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
I guess I need to do more research on tires then. Thankfully there’s plenty of time for that. Thanks for sharing your experience. Installing parts twice is definitely something I’m trying to avoid.

OP
nachodaddy
Thread Starter #7
RMM can vary from super stiff to almost factory like in terms of vehicle vibration. If you want little to no engine movement get the Boomba or AWR but expect an increase in vibration when taking off. If you want something a little better than stock try the Mountune or Cobb. Those have negligible vibration but still prevent enough movement to be noticeable.

I have the Mountune mount now and used to have the AWR 70A. Since my car is a DD the Mountune is awesome for having no increased vibes. It doesn't hook as well as the AWR did, but it also doesn't shake as violently around 900 rpms like the AWR did.

One problem I've heard people with my mount and maybe the Cobb one as well is squeaking, but that can be remidied with a little grease when installing.

As for short shift there's lots of brands but most are pretty similar except Mountune and boomba. Mountune has the shortest shift with a 30 percent reduction but installation is a bit more involved. I have the boomba and I chose it for the added weight in the adapter. Vudú and woosh are pretty similar from what I can tell, and I used to have an older version of the woosh kit that worked very well. Overall any brand of these will do the job but little nuances will help you decide which you want to go with.
Thanks. I might go with the mountune short shift then and some bushings. The FiST is my DD, so I am trying to avoid too much vibration. The whoosh one is on sale this weekend, I think. Does anyone have experience with that one?

Mikey456

Ive found it helpful to look at the listings of what other members have done to their car. I’m going the mild route with the stock turbo. I don’t need a super stiff RMM and like the Mountune RMM. I also like buying one part at a time so that feel the effect of the part in isolation, even though the package deals are tempting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikey456

Ive found it helpful to look at the listings of what other members have done to their car. I’m going the mild route with the stock turbo. I don’t need a super stiff RMM and like the Mountune RMM. I also like buying one part at a time so that feel the effect of the part in isolation, even though the package deals are tempting.

OP
nachodaddy
Thread Starter #10

The packages are definitely tempting. The Cobb Stage 2 package has been on and off my list constantly. I don’t care for the intake, but I want to upgraded Intercooler, AP, and RMM.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I have some mild OCD and definitely have some anxiety problems. I'm sure you know as well as I do that feeding your anxiety only makes it worse in the long run. It's best just to break this cycle and make yourself uncomfortable. I have to walk through my entire house before I leave. Like I said I have OCD it's not something as easy to deal with as some people think. Just give it a try if it starts making you uncomfortable every single day then stop. There's absolutely no sense of making yourself go crazy, but you also shouldn't restrict yourself either.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
nachodaddy
Thread Starter #12
I have some mild OCD and definitely have some anxiety problems. I'm sure you know as well as I do that feeding your anxiety only makes it worse in the long run. It's best just to break this cycle and make yourself uncomfortable. I have to walk through my entire house before I leave. Like I said I have OCD it's not something as easy to deal with as some people think. Just give it a try if it starts making you uncomfortable every single day then stop. There's absolutely no sense of making yourself go crazy, but you also shouldn't restrict yourself either.

Thanks for giving advice specific to dealing with the anxiety. I figured I would just do my best to make everything around me perfect, but I really should push myself to handle and accept imperfections better. I really only care about keeping things in order when it deals with my hobbies and living spaces. Other things don’t bother me. Time to mix and match.

Spork1569

Thanks. I might go with the mountune short shift then and some bushings. The FiST is my DD, so I am trying to avoid too much vibration. The whoosh one is on sale this weekend, I think. Does anyone have experience with that one?
I think @Ford ST did a review a little while back on the woosh mount and it was pretty positive. Most of Ron's whoosh stuff is great so I don't see why that would be any different. Just make sure to get the street spec instead of race if vibration is of concern.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I think @Ford ST did a review a little while back on the woosh mount and it was pretty positive. Most of Ron's whoosh stuff is great so I don't see why that would be any different. Just make sure to get the street spec instead of race if vibration is of concern.
I sure did make a review on it.

View: https://youtu.be/3nma4eb5Zko

Read some user reviews on here of different parts. Many people do them, and their is placebo effect at work, but read a few and you can get an idea of what you are in for before spending your hard earned. You will find stuff thats overpriced but worth it. Overpriced but identical to brand -x, cheap but garbage etc.

After being down this road with many different cars I think you are really missing out if you dont mix and match. Different companies have strengths in different areas. Some of the big guys mail it in on a few products because they know they can get away with it. Some of the little guys just dont have the resources to make this or that to the level of the big guys.

Parts are relatively (extremely) cheap for this thing, making the wrong choice and changing it out later doesnt carry the penalty it does for most cars.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club

I know that there are 227 bricks at hand level between where I park and my office. I have to touch each of them when I walk by - if I miss one I have to go back to my car and start over. As a result I walk 2/3 further around the building the other way because there is no visible brickwork :p

One thing that helps me is keeping in mind - I like things for their qualities but I love things for their flaws.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Thanks for giving advice specific to dealing with the anxiety. I figured I would just do my best to make everything around me perfect, but I really should push myself to handle and accept imperfections better. I really only care about keeping things in order when it deals with my hobbies and living spaces. Other things don’t bother me. Time to mix and match.
Sometimes you have to force yourself to shift perspectives. If you feel driven to match parts, for example - set your perspective to "each part is the best possible for it's use-case". It'll take constant mental effort, but remember - men, like steel, are strengthened through being burned and beaten.