Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

AutoCar.co.uk: Is a Hot new Ford Fiesta RS planned??

250HP Factory Fiesta would be awesome.

Hopefully it is still a manual and NOT AWD. Not only would AWD cause the price to jump a couple g's but it will tone down the FiST silliness we all know and love (ie. no more throttle controlled oversteer).

I would enjoy a low 5 second 0-60 very much though...

I think the articles are at best optimistic and not a true confirmation that the Fiesta RS will be made. However, Ford's new Performance Division would need to justify it's existence by bringing out more than the current 5 vehicles in their lineup. It'll come out, but it would heavily depend on how the FoRS does well in the market.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member

LVracerGT

If there's one thing I've picked up on recently, it's Ford is building things no one expected them to. I never thought an AWD 300hp Focus RS would come. I never thought the Shelby GT350 would be at the performance level it is. I knew the GT was coming, but not this soon or as high performance as it's going to be.

One interesting tidbit is the update the ST will get. I have a lease that's up in November 2017, so I may have some upgrade options. If they do make an RS, my prediction is it will get the 2.0 Ecoboost and AWD. That put's it in line with the upgrades the Focus RS got. If they keep the 1.6 and bump it to 250hp it would most likely stay FWD, and IMO that won't put it into the performance threshold Ford would justify as an RS.

MOFiST

How about an up spec'd edition, track special ST instead of a full blown RS? RenaultSport do this sort of thing with their Clio and Megane (cup) models. I reckon it'd be more feasible for Ford to bring out an ST with a spicier tune and an LSD than a full blown RS. That said it'd be sweet of they did.

kevinatfms

Why does everyone think it needs AWD to be an RS model. A perfected LSD setup, better dampers, springs and sways plus an added hp boost and it could easily be a 250hp FWD super hatch. Throw in a lower ride height, wider body and some new bigger brakes? Easily done.

I expect to see the Fiesta RS debut in the next 2 years.

SPhilli911

I think most people just want it to be AWD, but I seriously doubt it will be in the price range it needs to be in. The last Focus RS was FWD and everyone loved it still.

TheStig

Ill love it either way, but being AWD would be the highlight of the segment. Nothing else would be direct competition for it per say.

AutoCar is one of the worst information sources.

3-door Fiesta in the US? Not a chance. The car needs to be recertified at a very large cost, plus changes to the NA assembly line.

AWD? Not likely. Cost and weight prohibative.

Significant price and performance overlap with the Focus ST. It doesn't fit a well positioned product in the portfolio.

No evidence of a Fiesta RS mule has ever been spotted. Mules show up about 1-2 years prior to release, unless the case of the Ford GT in which no mules were made in advance. Fiesta ST mules started showing up in 2011, Focus RS mules in early 2014. Fiesta chassis redesign due in a few years, so the Fiesta RS lifespan would be limited to a year. This has happened in the past, but it is unlikely you could build a buisness case to support all the development for a product with a year of sales.

My contacts have said for years that it would be either a Focus RS or Fiesta RS, but highly unlikely there would be both. The nod always going to the Focus RS with larger platform and higher price point.

I am putting up the BS flag until test mules or a reliable source can be found.
Party Pooper!

I for one don't think it will happen. What same price or more than the focus st?Think they would do it to the Fusion first.

kevinatfms

12 by 2020
Gt350, focus rs, ford gt, raptor...
What are the other 8 vehicles?

Possibly, gt500, fusion, fiesta rs...and we are still 5 short!
Explorer Sport
Fiesta ST
Focus ST
Focus RS
GT350
GT350R
Taurus SHO
Raptor
GT

Fusion Sport?
Escape ST?
GT500?

That would be my guess. Not enough of a market for a Fiesta RS. This plan would give every market at least one performance option and giving the two highest selling models the full performance treatment(Mustang and Focus). But we will see. Ford has surprised us in the past.

Rhinopolis

Explorer Sport
Fiesta ST
Focus ST
Focus RS
GT350
GT350R
Taurus SHO
Raptor
GT

Fusion Sport?
Escape ST?
GT500?

That would be my guess. Not enough of a market for a Fiesta RS. This plan would give every market at least one performance option and giving the two highest selling models the full performance treatment(Mustang and Focus). But we will see. Ford has surprised us in the past.
I agree. Too much cannibalization and not enough profit margin to dilute the models further. We should be thankful that the FiST even exist.