Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Autocross Tires/Rims.

I know this questions gets asked a lot, but i've been researching all day and I'm still scratching my head over this. I want rims and tires for autocross. I am having a hard time even finding rims wider than 7''.

It seems like like a 16' is best. How many of you are running r16x8 with 215's? Experienced guys are recommending that size, but I can't find 16''x8 wheels anywhere. Tire rack and discount tire have really disappointing options when it comes to rims. Tire rack has nothing wider than 7''.

I'm not sure what to do here. Anyone running OEM's with good tires, like AZENIS RT660? I live in the midwest so I don't know if it would be the best in colder weather. I have the OEM all seasons, and I was breaking loose like crazy at my first autocross. The azenis might be too much grip for me. IDK.

Erick_V

Being in the Midwest I wouldn’t recommend 200tw tires for DD use. Under 50 degrees and lower the grip diminishes exponentially. I lived in Northern VA for a while and even a more mild tire like the Nitto Neo Gens was sketchy in snow/ice. I live in Texas and when we got that crazy snow storm here I almost couldn’t make it back into the driveway with my RS-Pros (200tw). I had to carry steam into my steepish driveway. I also activated ABS like crazy and mind you, I know how to drive in that stuff. I know it’s a lot more money but I would get a separate set of wheels just for autocross and summer so that you don’t get stuck in a situation where you risk yourself and your car.

FWIW I just installed a set of RT660’s on my 16x8 Dekagrams and they rock so far. I got mine through Enjuku, lightweight and look pretty good. Hooking second in a FBO E30 car made me realize how short second gear is lol. I’m sure they’ll do great at my next autocross but if I were you I would have 2 sets. One for DD and one for fun. I’ve never ran anything more than a 200tw at autocross and the grip is always there once they’re warmed up and the car will still rotate but it’s a much more progressive loss of grip

Is your car modified?

If not, you'll want to run in Street class, which requires 7" wide wheels, with diameter no less than 16".

If your car is modified beyond the Street allowances, you could also look at 15x8" options.

Our local FiST hotshoe runs 17" RT660s. They rub a tad, but he reports it's acceptable. Stock wheels are pretty heavy though, so you'd probably be happier getting some lighter wheels for the autocross tires, and keep the street wheels for all seasons. At least that's what I've done.

If you can find Team Dynamics or Konigs in 15x8, snatch them up- you can squeeze a 225/45R15 into the wheel well, plus get a lower center of gravity with no compromise in suspension geometry. Also, 15" tires are a bit cheaper and lighter usually

OP
Indy_Fest
Thread Starter #5
Is your car modified?
Yeah, I am in the street touring hatchback category - STH I think it's a newer category, but you can do things like engine mounts, and traction bars, radiator, 9'' wheels, etc. I went with 16x8's I will run 215's.

FWIW I just installed a set of RT660’s on my 16x8 Dekagrams and they rock so far. I got mine through Enjuku said:
Thanks for the Dekagrams and enjuku info. I just picked up some 16x8 rims. You run 215/45 tires? I am probably gonna get some RT660's too.

If you can find Team Dynamics or Konigs in 15x8, snatch them up- you can squeeze a 225/45R15 into the wheel well, plus get a lower center of gravity with no compromise in suspension geometry. Also, 15" tires are a bit cheaper and lighter usually
I went with 16''. I know alot of guys like 225's on 15'' rims. Doesn't that tall sidewall make the steering squishy? I cant find 15x8' rims with 4x108 anywhere.

Yeah, I am in the street touring hatchback category - STH I think it's a newer category, but you can do things like engine mounts, and traction bars, radiator, 9'' wheels, etc. I went with 16x8's I will run 215's.
It still feels plenty stiff, the proportions are the same as a 215/45, but I haven't tried them side by side. Honestly, the 205/50R16 REs I ran before the move to STH felt just as tight.

This, is exactly what i was hoping I would find. Perfect.