Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Aux Fuel Wiring: DIY Plug and Play Jumper Harnesses

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Some of you may know I am planning to a single port aux fuel kit in the near future. Some have inquired if I was going to make a Plug and Play (PnP) wiring harness since the Statified Xtra Fuels System comes with Posi-Tap connectors that tap into the necessary signal wires in the OEM wiring harness.

For those that would rather not use a wire tap, there is another option; install a jumper between the coil pack connectors and MAP connector. This requires electrical connectors that mate up to the OEM connectors. The idea is that you tap into the wire in the jumper assembly rather than the OEM harness wiring. This is a more expensive option but will make the kit truly Plug and Play without the need to tap the OEM harness wiring. My initial thought is that these jumpers will add more clutter under the hood due to there simply being more wiring and connectors but you can make that choice when it comes to your install. This is just sharing information and options.

I have ordered and test fit the necessary connectors to the OEM harness connectors. The coil pack connectors fit as expected but the MAP connector will requires a small modification in order to fit. The reason is that the MAP connector has a unique internal keying so you must make a small modification for it to fit correctly. This can be done fairly easily but must also be done carefully as to not damage the structure of the connector. More information to come on that once I decide how I would like to do that modification.

**Disclaimer - My vehicle is a 2014 Ford Fiesta ST so I cannot account for any harness changes Ford made on any other model year (although I don't see any reason as to why they would be different)

I planned to build these using 18 AWG, TXL wire. That's important because these terminals and seals are meant to be used with a specific gauge of wire (actually a specific range of wiring, i.e. 24-18 AWG).

I'll update the thread once I get my jumpers actually made and installed. Feel free to build them as you wish with regard to wire length, routing, etc. My plan is to use bullet connectors instead of the Posi-Taps but that may change.

Here are the connectors, terminals, and seals that you will need;

MAP Sensor (ordered from Chief Enterprises, Inc)
Male connector: PN 1928404227 (qty. 1)
Terminal: PN 1-962915-1 (qty. 3)
Seal: PN 1928300599 (qty. 3)

Female connector: PN 1928403110 (qty. 1)
Terminal: PN 929939-3 (qty. 3)
Seal: PN 1928300599 (qty. 3)

Coil Pack Connectors (ordered from Mouser Electronics)
Male connector: PN 1-1703494-1 (qty. 4)
Terminal: PN 1718760-1 (qty. 12)
Seal: PN 967067-1 (qty. 12)

Female connector: PN 1-1718644-5 (qty. 4)
Terminal: PN 7-1452671-3 (qty. 12)
Seal: PN 967067-1 (qty. 12)

Last edited:

koozy

3000 Post Club
oh, if you're taking votes, weatherpack bullet connectors please. makes routing and pulling the main controller harness through access holes easier, which will have the other end of the connectors attached.

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #6
I'll take 10 please
Ha! Glad to see there's some interest [emoji1303]

We'll see how this all develops. I'm still in the research phase; next will be development of the jumpers and then the all important testing phase.

Not sure it will fit everyone's budget just going off of what I've spent so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Se7eN

Ha! Glad to see there's some interest [emoji1303]

We'll see how this all develops. I'm still in the research phase; next will be development of the jumpers and then the all important testing phase.

Not sure it will fit everyone's budget just going off of what I've spent so far.

I mean, you're spending $1k on a Aux/Port Kit and you have a way to make it better.

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #8
I made the coil pack jumpers this evening. I used all black wire on my first one but then decided I should make the all-important signal wire a different color; green in this case so disregard the jumper with all black wires.

In this version of the jumper you will use the Posi-Taps provided with your Stratified Aux Fuel kit and install them onto the jumper rather than your OEM harness. This keeps things simple.

Here are a couple shots with them installed on the coil packs. They blend in pretty well.

Let me know if there are any other ideas you might have. I'm all for improving the design but let's try to keep it simple.

Next, I'll tackle the MAP sensor but I'm waiting on a connector which I'll have by the middle of next week.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Posi-taps have come loose with a few members that caused fueling issues at the worst time, WOT. So most have resorted to soldering. Personally Iā€™d rather have bullet connectors already built into the harness, the main reason to get away from those posi taps or soldering into the main harness.

Last edited:
OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #10
Posi-taps have come loose with a few members that caused fueling issues at the worst time, WOT. So most have resorted to soldering. Personally Iā€™d rather have bullet connectors already built into the harness, the main reason to get away from those posi taps or soldering into the main harness.

I see, yeah that would be no bueno. Very glad you brought that issue to my attention!

I'll probably go ahead and splice/solder in a wire with a bullet connector or similar. Maybe something with a positive lock like a single circuit connector.

OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #11
Well, here's the final version of the Aux fuel jumper harnesses. I added a sealed connector to use for the signal wire.

The stock MAP sensor connector needed a small modification in order to fit and lock into the male connector of the MAP jumper.

The male MAP connector is keyed on the inside so I had to trim about 4mm off the one side and a little off of the locking tab on the top of the male mating connector.

Here are some pics of the male MAP connector where you can see how the keying is different on the inside.

Here's where I had to trim a small amount off the back of the locking tab (trimmed about 1mm or less)

All jumpers installed for testing (not shown; I capped off the single circuit connectors with heat shrink and pinched the end to seal them)

MAP Sensor

Coil Packs

Cost for all the connectors, terminals and seals added up to almost $120 (with shipping).

Pricing for parts is usually higher when ordering in small quantities like I did but even ordering in bulk I would estimate the cost would still be around $100. That's just an estimation, I haven't done an actual cost breakdown yet.

koozy

3000 Post Club
That turned out really nice. Appreciate the sealed connectors for the single wires.

So, to clarify this piece that needs trimming is on the factory harness?

And this piece that needs trimming is on the jumper harness?

Last edited:
OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #13
That turned out really nice. Appreciate the sealed connectors for the single wires.

So, to clarify this piece that needs trimming is on the factory harness?

Correct, that's the factory MAP connector

And this piece that needs trimming is on the jumper harness?

Correct

Last edited:
OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #16
Are the 1-800 lines open for orders yet? :D
We'll see, lol. It was a lot of work but I have a good production system established now and a set of instructions made so the next batch would go even smoother.

To clarify, some assembly is required - the user needs to install the 5 sealed male connectors (provided with the kit) onto the aux fuel controller wires which will then plug into the jumper harnesses.

Last edited:
OP
VirtualRonin

VirtualRonin

Active Military
Thread Starter #17
Removed the split loom covering from the aux fuel controller wires that run to the coil packs and MAP sensor and replaced it with wire sheathing to match the sheathing that was already on the aux fuel controller harness. Much cleaner I think.