Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Boomba wing riser failure (Updated w "fix")

haste

1000 Post Club
Boomba says it’s my fault.
They say they have never heard of this issue before and are sticking to it even after seeing this thread. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Still gotta figure out how to remedy things…appreciate all the replies
Ugh. Boomba customer service is horrible. I bought the first round of their wing risers and the anodized finish came off within 6 months. They said it was a "bad" batch of anodizing. Their "fix" was for me to remove the risers, send them BACK to get re-anodized and then reinstall. Yeah, right...
The only other thing they offered me since I refused to remove them and reinstall was a 10% discount off another order from their website. I haven't ordered a single Boomba product since then.

I removed my wing risers(installed for 5+ years) within the past year and didn't have any wing damage. I really think overtightening during install is what causes the damage.

My wing survived MANY high speed runs and two full weekends at VIR with the risers installed. Maybe it's luck of the draw, I dunno.

CaptainCheesy

U.S. Army Veteran
Ugh. Boomba customer service is horrible. I bought the first round of their wing risers and the anodized finish came off within 6 months. They said it was a "bad" batch of anodizing. Their "fix" was for me to remove the risers, send them BACK to get re-anodized and then reinstall. Yeah, right...
The only other thing they offered me since I refused to remove them and reinstall was a 10% discount off another order from their website. I haven't ordered a single Boomba product since then.
That's just as bad as CP-E giving me a $100 account credit for when Mitch Levy quit and they stopped my unlimited tune..

I don't order from CP-E.. :cry:

OP
T
Thread Starter #29
Bummer. What made it your fault? If installed properly there would be no issue, I'd assume.
They insinuated that I "probably" over-torqued the self-tapping screws. In the absence of published torque values, I do things by feel and common sense--tight enough not to just fall out but not so tight as to strip the material :rolleyes:

There's a rubber washer they place between the spacer and the wing. Yes, it keeps the hard spacer from biting into the wing over time, but it also creates a flexible space where the wing can fulcrum around the screw. If anybody else has concerns about their own unit, I wonder if a simple metal washer would have 1) shield the wing material from the spacer body itself 2) provide a tighter, more secure mount.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Of course they're going to say it's your fault. How about they put a bit more thought into their product, like a small plate, shaped the same as the wing, to give it a bit more support? Oh well, $150 down the tubes. Not going to put mine back on until someone comes up with a REAL solution! I'm sure someone with a younger brain than mine will find a remedy. I have one, but could be costly and nearly impractical to fix unless you're good with plastic and maybe aluminium! (Yes, it's spelled correctly)!
I prefer American English we threw out the British twice already.
ALCOA= Aluminum Company of America

kevinatfms

That's just as bad as CP-E giving me a $100 account credit for when Mitch Levy quit and they stopped my unlimited tune..

I don't order from CP-E.. :cry:
Or the time they tried to make me pay for an RMA on their stupid motor mount because i didnt have the original hard copy receipt from 5+ years earlier. They also said they dont have any of their records from when they were in College Park MD after they moved to South Carolina.

Stupid bushing went sideways in the mount and only thing they could tell me was it would be $40 to fix plus $40 to ship back to me. So well for their lifetime warranty.....

I was fucking pissed. Gave the motor mount away at that point. Went AWR and havent looked back.

CaptainCheesy

U.S. Army Veteran
They insinuated that I "probably" over-torqued the self-tapping screws. In the absence of published torque values, I do things by feel and common sense--tight enough not to just fall out but not so tight as to strip the material :rolleyes:

There's a rubber washer they place between the spacer and the wing. Yes, it keeps the hard spacer from biting into the wing over time, but it also creates a flexible space where the wing can fulcrum around the screw. If anybody else has concerns about their own unit, I wonder if a simple metal washer would have 1) shield the wing material from the spacer body itself 2) provide a tighter, more secure mount.
Why would screws even be an option?? Nuts and bolts, people!! (I know, it's what was provided :rolleyes:)

AzNightmare

These wing risers have a really bad rep. Go on facebook FiST groups and people will be bashing them all over.

I only have anecdotal evidence that I've personally went with Velossa Tech and ironically, 3d printed plastic ones have stood up to the test of time of 4+ years in all sorts of weather conditions. I don't know how much is based on installation or the actual product itself that's causing all these broken wings.

It doesn't help when people buy used FiST with them already installed, so they have no clue how the previous owner did the install. Perhaps people are over torqueing the bolts or something about plastic VT ones are better than metal counter parts.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
These wing risers have a really bad rep. Go on facebook FiST groups and people will be bashing them all over.

I only have anecdotal evidence that I've personally went with Velossa Tech and ironically, 3d printed plastic ones have stood up to the test of time of 4+ years in all sorts of weather conditions. I don't know how much is based on installation or the actual product itself that's causing all these broken wings.

It doesn't help when people buy used FiST with them already installed, so they have no clue how the previous owner did the install. Perhaps people are over torqueing the bolts or something about plastic VT ones are better than metal counter parts.
I bought mine with the wing risers already on, and now thanks to this thread noticed that my wing is cracked on one side:mad:

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I bought mine with the wing risers already on, and now thanks to this thread noticed that my wing is cracked on one side:mad:
Now it's cracked on both sides! Does anyone know how to fix it without buying a new wing? I don't have the original hardware, so I can't just put it back to stock.

OP
T
Thread Starter #37
Been wanting to follow up and post my "fix" done a while ago that seems to be holding up well for the time being.

Here's the broken mounting point and tapped insert.

FYI the wing is made of ABS plastic so couldn't weld a stronger repair if it were metal.

Mixed and packed the hole with JB Weld "Steel" Epoxy to approximately the same height, then used the bracket to generally line up the hole for drilling. The empty void inside the wing meant I had to use about 3/4 of the epoxy stick. Once cured, had to be careful to choose a drill bit smaller than the supplied Boomba screw or it won't bite when screwed in.

The supplied Boomba rubber washer vs the thicker rubber washer w 8mm hole I used as a shock/vibration absorber and water seal. I replaced all the existing, paper-thin washers with these thicker ones.

Final fixed bracket on the left, thicker washers now under all the other brackets too.

I torqued the screws in to what I felt to be appropriate, reinstalled the wing and it's been holding up well. The thicker rubber washers have helped reduce the high-frequency vibration of the wing when the trunk opens and closes (the main reason I believe the risers contributed to fatigue failure in the first place). If it breaks again, wouldn't be hard to drill out the old epoxy, refill, and tap it again. I get to keep the existing wing, the oh-so-controversial styling ;) , and get back to driving the damn thing!

Hopefully this post helps others who've had wings break from use of risers.

That sucks. I had mine for a year and decided to take it off. Didn’t like the gap it left. Delta ones look cool but like others said expensive. I just put the Maxton spoiler extension

Sam4

Year 6 and still spoilin'. Sorry - 94,569 miles shaking the spoiler. The black boomba pieces are a weird purplish color now, but still positively screwed. Harmonic resonance? Why yes, thank you.

Black Fists Matter

U.S. Navy Veteran
Personally I think it looks stupid and is stupid. Your just asking for problems and it serves useful purpose. A waste of time, money and a perfectly good wing.