Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Both BDA's and a temp sensor.

Raistron

Active Duty U.S. Air Force
Wish me luck gang, doing both Blend Door Actuators and the cabin air temp sensor, and cabin air filter tomorrow. Going in almost blind, ought to be fun.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Wish me luck gang, doing both Blend Door Actuators and the cabin air temp sensor, and cabin air filter tomorrow. Going in almost blind, ought to be fun.
Why the cabin temp sensor? Just curious....did it fail?

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

OP
Raistron

Raistron

Thread Starter #5
Well, I thought I would. Local O'Reilly's had neither in stock, so I ordered them both through them, supposed to be next day, but 2 days later and still had nothing, refunded both and getting the DORMAN ones online 1 day shipped.

OP
Raistron

Raistron

Thread Starter #6
All three have been replaced, clicking had thankfully, if only temporarily, ceased. The temp sensor was completely coated in dust, which may have been causing the wrench light for it, unsure at the moment as I need to clear the code and see what it does.

For the record for my own testing sake, both actuators were swapped at 118,780 miles, I'll make note of the mileage if they break. Gonna take the old ones and ask a buddy of mine who does a lot of fine machining to have a look and see if it would be realistic to replace those gears with metal.

OP
Raistron

Raistron

Thread Starter #7
Can confirm code went away after clearing, so it was the sensor, can't remember exactly what it was but it was something like b1a6xxx cabin air temperature circuit short or open.

Wrench light itself refuses to go away for the time being, but FORscan can't find any codes, so I'll just ignore it for the next few days and if it persists I'll put the reader back on it.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
All three have been replaced, clicking had thankfully, if only temporarily, ceased. The temp sensor was completely coated in dust, which may have been causing the wrench light for it, unsure at the moment as I need to clear the code and see what it does.
Auto fan setting nearly always runs the fan on a low setting. Might help to run on a higher setting? Also check cabin filter to see whether air is bypassing it.

For the record for my own testing sake, both actuators were swapped at 118,780 miles, I'll make note of the mileage if they break. Gonna take the old ones and ask a buddy of mine who does a lot of fine machining to have a look and see if it would be realistic to replace those gears with metal.
Dorman typically makes reliable products. It's not really the gears that fail, but the potentiometer style "sensor" that allows the system to calibrate and detect the position of the blend door. WHen the system is unable to calibrate, it begins grinding the gears; to the point of failure.

EDIT: Ultimately Ford needs a different (more reliable) sensor method for detecting blend door positions. In my experiences with similar devices and switches, covering those parts with silicon spray, significantly enhances their reliability. It coats the contact surfaces, reducing corrosion/oxidation by limiting exposure to air.

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Can confirm code went away after clearing, so it was the sensor, can't remember exactly what it was but it was something like b1a6xxx cabin air temperature circuit short or open.

Wrench light itself refuses to go away for the time being, but FORscan can't find any codes, so I'll just ignore it for the next few days and if it persists I'll put the reader back on it.
Do you have An Ap3/Accessport ? The wrench light may be a Maitenence reminder. It can turn it off and Forskin can also.

OP
Raistron

Raistron

Thread Starter #12
I actually have one on the way from Ron over at Whoosh, I'll have to look on Forscan again to see if anything is due.

OP
Raistron

Raistron

Thread Starter #13
Do you have An Ap3/Accessport ? The wrench light may be a Maitenence reminder. It can turn it off and Forskin can also.

Resolved, it was an oil life reminder, turns out every time I thought I was resetting it, I wasn't doing the procedure quite right. Go figure lol