Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Brake Lights Stuck on

Sorry if this has been covered in the past, had trouble sorting through existing threads to see if it was.

TLDR:
2017 fiesta st, brake lights stuck on all the time. Suspect it's the brake light switch attached to the pedal. Pulled the fuse to keep the battery from dying, looking to see if there are any guides on how to replace myself. Full sob story below

Recently had my mode door actuator replaced (paid a fortune to the shop) and when I picked up the vehicle they had to jump the car for me to get it started. Had no issues with the battery when I brought it in. This was after they replaced the brakes a couple months ago and while they repaired the mode door they resurfaced the rotors under warranty since the brakes were still grinding. We're barely driving since it is still work from home pandemic times. Went out of town for a few days and when I got back the shop sent out a tech to replace the battery and run a diagnostic on the vehicle (he said it was all good). After he left I went back out several hours later and noticed my brake lights were on-- probably why the battery had died in the shop. While driving I got a wrench symbol on my dashboard and the screen indicated that hill assist was not available/working.

I pulled the fuse in the glove box to kill the break lights while it was not in use and preserve the new battery from dying. I'd like to avoid taking it back to the shop and I'm having trouble finding guides online. Looks like the part is $13 on amazon (the mode door that I basically made a mortgage payment to repair looks like it's in the same price range). Are there any guides or threads that cover brake switch replacement>

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Sorry if this has been covered in the past, had trouble sorting through existing threads to see if it was.

TLDR:
2017 fiesta st, brake lights stuck on all the time. Suspect it's the brake light switch attached to the pedal. Pulled the fuse to keep the battery from dying, looking to see if there are any guides on how to replace myself. Full sob story below

Recently had my mode door actuator replaced (paid a fortune to the shop) and when I picked up the vehicle they had to jump the car for me to get it started. Had no issues with the battery when I brought it in. This was after they replaced the brakes a couple months ago and while they repaired the mode door they resurfaced the rotors under warranty since the brakes were still grinding. We're barely driving since it is still work from home pandemic times. Went out of town for a few days and when I got back the shop sent out a tech to replace the battery and run a diagnostic on the vehicle (he said it was all good). After he left I went back out several hours later and noticed my brake lights were on-- probably why the battery had died in the shop. While driving I got a wrench symbol on my dashboard and the screen indicated that hill assist was not available/working.

I pulled the fuse in the glove box to kill the break lights while it was not in use and preserve the new battery from dying. I'd like to avoid taking it back to the shop and I'm having trouble finding guides online. Looks like the part is $13 on amazon (the mode door that I basically made a mortgage payment to repair looks like it's in the same price range). Are there any guides or threads that cover brake switch replacement>
Google is your friend. Likely to be a YouTube video to show you how to do it but replacement usually is not difficult for a brake light switch. You need a new shop because yours isn't doing you any favors.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Which switch on the brake pedal are we talking about? There are two.

One's Blue, the cruise control switch on parts websites, and dead easy to replace since you can just reach under the dash and change the switch.
One's Black, the brake lamp switch on Rock Auto et al, and you need to remove the driver's knee airbag to get the switch out.

This video shows how to remove the easy one, the blue switch. The black switch is the same thing but after removing the airbag for clearance.

OP
T
Thread Starter #4
Which switch on the brake pedal are we talking about? There are two.

One's Blue, the cruise control switch on parts websites, and dead easy to replace since you can just reach under the dash and change the switch.
One's Black, the brake lamp switch on Rock Auto et al, and you need to remove the driver's knee airbag to get the switch out.

This video shows how to remove the easy one, the blue switch. The black switch is the same thing but after removing the airbag for clearance.

Thanks! I think it's the black switch, I pulled the brake lamp fuse and the lights went off. I'll google around for a guide to remove the airbag

OP
T
Thread Starter #5
Google is your friend. Likely to be a YouTube video to show you how to do it but replacement usually is not difficult for a brake light switch. You need a new shop because yours isn't doing you any favors.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Agreed! I picked my shop bc it's a certified dealer shop and not the one that sold me the vehicle (their salesman left a bad impression). Will definitely be looking for a new mechanic

Thanks! I think it's the black switch, I pulled the brake lamp fuse and the lights went off. I'll google around for a guide to remove the airbag
Ah, bummer. I pulled the airbag at least once to do the blend door actuator the first time before I learned that you only need to remove the lower trim on the steering column. I don't remember it being too bad, but that was compared to getting at the blend door actuator out and *that* part is a pain in the ass.