Can an improperly adjusted BOV lead to blowing up your turbo?

Member ID
A while back my BOV (Mountune spec turbosmart) blew apart. I put it back together but I think I adjusted it all the way stiff, It wasn't as loud after and my turbo sounded different. A month or so later after driving down the highway, I lost power/boost and my turbo started smoking. Is my turbo done for and was it because I failed to adjust the blow-off valve or put it together wrong?

Member ID
Did it start to make a flutter type sound? Lot's of people with turbo cars delete their blow off valve entirely in order to get flutter sounds. I've seen many cars last years on years with these kinds of setups.

OP
C
Member ID
Thread Starter #3
Did it start to make a flutter type sound? Lot's of people with turbo cars delete their blow off valve entirely in order to get flutter sounds. I've seen many cars last years on years with these kinds of setups.
Interesting. I wouldn't describe it as a flutter, more of a higher pitch and the BOV woosh noise was less pronounced. So it could of a been coincidence my turbo took a big poopy after my BOV came apart?

Member ID
Depends on the failure of the BOV in my opinion. If the BOV was simply stuck closed I would bet this was just a big coincidence. However, if the BOV was somehow shooting pressurized air back in to the turbo the wrong way, that could do some damage too.