Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Car shifting smoother and turbo lag in third?

So I've been pretty busy with midterms and the stress might be getting to me but I think something happened with my FiSt? It's hard to explain but I'll try.

I seem to remember shifting from 2nd to 3rd to have a noticeable lurch forward with normal driving (not flooring it) but today it seems to have switched to a buttery smooth transition followed by a surge of power (turbo kicking in + torque) but the smoothness seems slower than the sudden jerk forward I think I remember.

The shifting seems to have smoothed out and lost it's jump forwardness that I seemed to remember going from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to third.

I tried it on the highway going WOT in 2nd and shifting around 5k rpm to third there was a slight second of low power followed by the surge of turbo and torque that seems almost like turbo lag, this is actually the first time I've gone WOT while shifting so I'm not sure if this is normal. The powerdrop isn't huge but when I shift it's pretty flat for a split second then picks up hard again.

Is this normal? am I going crazy?

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
I believe this is normal. Based on one paragraph I cannot determine your mental health [rofl]

To be fair I was the same way for the first few hundred if not thousand km. I know from experience it is because I have to learn how the transmission behaves after coming from another vehicle that I could shift in my sleep.

I've been feeling this too. At first I was thinking I had F'd the clutch and it was slipping. However the rps aren't shooting up with out forward momentum so it is gripping.

My guess is just a smoother clutch release/ throttle transition combined with maybe a winter flue blend?

Could be the fuel blend... but most likely your muscle memory is starting to kick in. I was used to driving a stiff stage 3 clutch on my subi STI before my ST and boy that first week was not smooth at all haha. I've owned both a Fost and Fist, from what I can tell... these transmissions only shift smooth in daily driving if you slightly slip the clutch in between shifts and give it a blip of power in that "sweet spot" in between shifts. They also shift smooth at higher RPM's and quick shifting.

OP
Esoterikk
Thread Starter #5
Yeah I switch between my FiST and a 04 WRX so it could just be that I'm adjusting to the FiST clutch, I supposed I could drop it from 2nd to 3rd and see if it feels the same.