Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

CARB Certs for 2017+

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Honestly the numbers are not large enough for most vendors to bother a CARB EO# requires cert and 10k per year paid to CARB for the E.O. With Ford no longer selling the car and the total sold coming in around 10k manufactured it does not make sense for a vendor to bother its why Mountune no longer bothers with cert on the MP215. There are some Mountune parts for 2017-2019 with CARB certs. I have them on my 2018. I have the cert numbers on a printed out sheet in my glove compartment.
Yep, they still charge a huge premium for the MP215 because of the Ford warranty too and it's at best warranty only good for '14-'16 (some say only '14-'15) even though it fits through '19 of course... if they want to move their inventory they may need to lower the price as it's just not worth the cost, might as well just grab an unlocked AP and put a real tune on a stock turbo car. As other than if there is a rare actual defect, the engine itself can handle allllll the power a stock turbo or even a hybrid can offer anyway without blowing up.... For OP, I'd just get the CARB intercooler and use a drop in to keep everything else stock as far as hardware, the IC is one of the only mods that does a lot on a stock turbo anyway.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Not a cert for the MP215 kit tho, right?
Right, warranty for MP215 ended either in '15 or '16, depends on who you believe, but they did get it for a few individual parts, IC and intake among others I believe, after that, Dpro can tell you which ones but definitely not MP215 unfortunately.

TemecFist

Right, warranty for MP215 ended either in '15 or '16, depends on who you believe, but they did get it for a few individual parts, IC and intake among others I believe, after that, Dpro can tell you which ones but definitely not MP215 unfortunately.
I agree with you tho. No reason to pay the money for the MP215 if it's not warrantied anymore and better off to get a custom tune. Price isn't that much different, but it would be ALOT better.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I agree with you tho. No reason to pay the money for the MP215 if it's not warrantied anymore and better off to get a custom tune. Price isn't that much different, but it would be ALOT better.
Yeah, this is true partly, but the Mountune re-branded AP you get with MP215 is 100% locked to only that one tune (or stock) so you can't put whatever on there and then try to claim warranty after you blow something, lol... But, it's also sooo weak, you may as well just grab a used AP for $350, throw on stage 1 OTS with no mods and call it good, LOL... So yeah, for the same $1000, a drop in, AP, real tune and a v1/Depo IC is FAR better money spent... even if you have to settle for a new AP price you are at about $1000 with a simple $75 flash tune, although Pwnall makes some crazy good flash tunes that will work with any mods but do cost a bit more.

Last edited:
It's maddening considering the 2016 and 2017 are nearly identical.
That's why I bought the evap harness, clips in in just a few minutes and 'reverts' the system to the good ole days.

This opens the door for anything '16 and earlier that maintains the carb sticker.

But still....why ford...why? šŸ¤· (It's always šŸ’° šŸ’° šŸ’°)

TemecFist

That's why I bought the evap harness, clips in in just a few minutes and 'reverts' the system to the good ole days.

This opens the door for anything '16 and earlier that maintains the carb sticker.

It might open the door, but it still wont be "legal"

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
It might open the door, but it still wont be "legal"
Correct because they were never certified for those model years. It's not that it's so different but that they didn't spend the money to get them certified. And then there is the change to the evap line which is different. The cost versus return must not have made it worth it to them and that's too bad for us customers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

danbfree

3000 Post Club

TBF, there is a near recall for that older setup since it causes problems... But with this car all you literally need is an e30 tune to max out the stock turbo, the minimal gains from the BO's people are concerned with are just not worth it if smog checks are that strict in your area. I'm literally one state up from Cali and we are one of 13 states our cars come with CA emissions from the factory but all we have to do is not be too stinky or noisy going in for our smog check then it's just an OBD check and buh bye... If I lived in Cali, I'd just worry about running e30/50 and know the rest isn't worth the hassle.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
TBF, there is a near recall for that older setup since it causes problems... But with this car all you literally need is an e30 tune to max out the stock turbo, the minimal gains from the BO's people are concerned with are just not worth it if smog checks are that strict in your area. I'm literally one state up from Cali and we are one of 13 states our cars come with CA emissions from the factory but all we have to do is not be too stinky or noisy going in for our smog check then it's just an OBD check and buh bye... If I lived in Cali, I'd just worry about running e30/50 and know the rest isn't worth the hassle.
California is just an OBD check for our cars as well, plus a visual inspection. Only older cars get put on the rollers now and tailpiped. You can totally get away with running a E30 tune here as long as all your sensors register your good to go. Even on rollers the rpm test is limited to 2500 rpm should one get reffed. So your not even going into to boost. Plus E30 will cause it to burn cleaner on the output as well.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
California is just an OBD check for our cars as well, plus a visual inspection. Only older cars get put on the rollers now and tailpiped. You can totally get away with running a E30 tune here as long as all your sensors register your good to go. Even on rollers the rpm test is limited to 2500 rpm should one get reffed. So your not even going into to boost. Plus E30 will cause it to burn cleaner on the output as well.
Absolutely, this kind of proves my point... So since you do have visual every time as well, why bother with BO's that do very, very little that can fail you? Can you guys at least get away with a V1/Depo/Pwnall intercooler or other smaller direct fit models that looks pretty much stock? That would the one key thing...

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Absolutely, this kind of proves my point... So since you do have visual every time as well, why bother with BO's that do very, very little that can fail you? Can you guys at least get away with a V1/Depo/Pwnall intercooler or other smaller direct fit models that looks pretty much stock? That would the one key thing...
Intercoolers technically are not smog items though Mountune did go as far as geting their second generation bar and plate intercooler E.Oā€™d along with their intake hose.
An Intercooler is not something a smog tech will freak out about. Most are not concerned . I see more techs looking at intakes.

So you could effectively probably get away with a crossover pipe ( black of course ) and a black intake hose. A hot side charge pipe would not draw any attention either.

A ST200 airbox is the safest way to look stock as well. Downpipes most likely as your s o2 sensors are reading . Most will not try to look at your turbo as its buried kinda same thing with downpipe.
The thing about this is the tech really has to crawl around a lot to see mods on our cars And it could vary from tech to tech. If they hook the car up and everything reads they are more than likely going to give the engine compartment a cursory glance over to see if it looks relatively stock. I am sure there are now some 14 owners here that have possibly done their 1st smog check as those and the early 15ā€™s are the only ones just now coming to time on it.
I have like 6 more years before I see the techs . So I can do whatever the hell I want. Lol as long as I do not go to places like Irvine, where they pull you over and ref you at the drop of a pin.

Brianmc27

Intercoolers technically are not smog items though Mountune did go as far as geting their second generation bar and plate intercooler E.Oā€™d along with their intake hose.
An Intercooler is not something a smog tech will freak out about. Most are not concerned . I see more techs looking at intakes.

So you could effectively probably get away with a crossover pipe ( black of course ) and a black intake hose. A hot side charge pipe would not draw any attention either.

A ST200 airbox is the safest way to look stock as well. Downpipes most likely as your s o2 sensors are reading . Most will not try to look at your turbo as its buried kinda same thing with downpipe.
The thing about this is the tech really has to crawl around a lot to see mods on our cars And it could vary from tech to tech. If they hook the car up and everything reads they are more than likely going to give the engine compartment a cursory glance over to see if it looks relatively stock. I am sure there are now some 14 owners here that have possibly done their 1st smog check as those and the early 15ā€™s are the only ones just now coming to time on it.
I have like 6 more years before I see the techs . So I can do whatever the hell I want. Lol as long as I do not go to places like Irvine, where they pull you over and ref you at the drop of a pin.
Iā€™m not so sure the intake tube is CARB certified... not for 2016+ at least

Brianmc27

I will have to take a look at my E.O. sheet that they put printed out for me at the Mountune meet last spring.
That would be awesome if it was. I plan to put one on, having an E.O. would be the cherry on top

danbfree

3000 Post Club

Nice, didn't know that smog checks started only after 6 years down there on new cars, they start after 4 up here. Since I brought an existing plate over, I had to go by it's tag date, and after 6 months old, I renewed for 2 years without a smog check, so I guess no smog check again this August for 2 more years so first one will be August 2022 at 4.5 years old if I keep it that long. Side note: We pay between $101 and $186, depending on the area and if smog check or not, for 2 full years, no car value assigned, so not bad...

But yeah, good to hear they aren't going to freak over an intercooler, but they may very well know what a stock induction hose looks like (dull black with accordion kinks in it) over a shiny black one that usually has a visible aftermarket logo... Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable with any more than a stock or black lid ST200/style airbox and a crossover, but screw it, if you have 4 years to go you can always very easily throw on the stock induction hose at that time when it comes down to it.. But the bottom-line is that the things that help the most, intercooler (and even a crossover does add some torque compared to any other intake or exhaust mod you can get away with) and hot side pipe, and of course any full recirc DV will never be an issue...

If I was to go turbo upgrade, then on top of those/what I've done so far, I'd go with "only" a hybrid and run a catted DP w/stock heat shield to look as stock as possible, have the de-foluer and everything set as ready in the tune, etc...

Speaking of exhaust again, there are pretty much near zero gains with mods anyway, even hybrid, so maybe a plugged Symposer with stock hoses on over it and sound legal exhaust mods like just swapping to a louder rear muffler or deleting resonator after the DP are fine to get sound after doing a Symposer block. I think some people have failed for having the Symposer fully removed and cap sitting there exposed? As ridiculous as that is, I'm pretty sure I've heard that happen.

Again, I say this not even living in Cali, but one state up but I do spend time down there, including driving down at least once a year and there is the chance I move down there so I've been researching this stuff as well...

Good chat guys!

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Nice, didn't know that smog checks started only after 6 years down there on new cars, they start after 4 up here. Since I brought an existing plate over, I had to go by it's tag date, and after 6 months old, I renewed for 2 years without a smog check, so I guess no smog check again this August for 2 more years so first one will be August 2022 at 4.5 years old if I keep it that long. Side note: We pay between $101 and $186, depending on the area and if smog check or not, for 2 full years, no car value assigned, so not bad...

But yeah, good to hear they aren't going to freak over an intercooler, but they may very well know what a stock induction hose looks like (dull black with accordion kinks in it) over a shiny black one that usually has a visible aftermarket logo... Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable with any more than a stock or black lid ST200/style airbox and a crossover, but screw it, if you have 4 years to go you can always very easily throw on the stock induction hose at that time when it comes down to it.. But the bottom-line is that the things that help the most, intercooler (and even a crossover does add some torque compared to any other intake or exhaust mod you can get away with) and hot side pipe, and of course any full recirc DV will never be an issue...

If I was to go turbo upgrade, then on top of those/what I've done so far, I'd go with "only" a hybrid and run a catted DP w/stock heat shield to look as stock as possible, have the de-foluer and everything set as ready in the tune, etc...

Speaking of exhaust again, there are pretty much near zero gains with mods anyway, even hybrid, so maybe a plugged Symposer with stock hoses on over it and sound legal exhaust mods like just swapping to a louder rear muffler or deleting resonator after the DP are fine to get sound after doing a Symposer block. I think some people have failed for having the Symposer fully removed and cap sitting there exposed? As ridiculous as that is, I'm pretty sure I've heard that happen.

Again, I say this not even living in Cali, but one state up but I do spend time down there, including driving down at least once a year and there is the chance I move down there so I've been researching this stuff as well...

Good chat guys!
Actually it got extended to 8 last year. So I am good to go till 2026 lol. All we pay is a $20 smog abatement fee. Tests are between $50-70. With some as low as $40.
Symposer delete can be glaring and should not have any effect on Smog as its not smog related lol. If someone got failed for that its pretty messed up and due to ignorance of what they are looking at by the smog tech. I tend to stick with Smog techs I know i.e. repeat customer as I am more likely to get a test that I pass on the important part i.e. tailpipe and not get so hung up on a visual.

Last edited:

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Actually it got extended to 8 last year. So I am good to go till 2016 lol. All we pay is a $20 smog abatement fee. Tests are between $50-70. With some as low as $40.
Symposer delete can be glaring and should not have any effect on Smog as its not smog related lol. If someone got failed for that its pretty messed up and due to ignorance of what they are looking at by the smog tech. I tend to stick with Smog techs I know i.e. repeat customer as I am more likely to get a test that I pass on the important part i.e. tailpipe and not get so hung up on a visual.
Ah, yeah, it's one of those cases like a chiropractor and lawyer, everyone needs the hookup for a good one, right? :)