Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Carbon on Intake valves and misfires

I wanted to share my experience with misfires recently. About a month ago I noticed a few misfires here and there at idle, I was low on fuel so I thought that was the problem. After refueling the problem still persisted and got a bit worse. I thought maybe it was the fuel so once I got the tank low enough I added a can of Techron and a few gallons of fuel from a different station. The misfires went away almost immediately but came back a few days later. There was never no CEL illuminated. I checked the gap on my plugs and I tried the OEM coils I had since I had installed whoosh ones a few months prior, no change. Fast forward to a week ago the misfires were a lot worse and it started to do it more on cold starts. I asked a buddy who works at ford and he told me it could be either carbon on my valves or the injector/s are starting to fail. I decided to clean my Intake valves. When I looked at them the second valve on cylinder 1 had a mountain of carbon. The other ones didn’t seem that bad but did have some buildup on the stems. I turned the engine until the valves were closed, sprayed brake clean, let it soak and hit the carbon with a pick. I cut up a piece of microfiber cloth and with the pick I cleaned the valves as best I could. I also had a vacuum on hand but didn’t use it much. Once I was done and put everything back together I let her get up to operating temperature. The engine seems to vibrate a lot less and runs a bit smoother at idle. So far I haven’t had a single misfire. I hope this helps someone else in the future that might be having this problem.
IMG_2087.jpeg IMG_2090.jpeg After
IMG_2094.jpeg IMG_2097.jpeg https://youtube.com/shorts/lT44yZZ0uMk?si=ths5tRnXzW2RUQBH Here is a video of the misfires in action.
What I used to clean the valves and mileage IMG_2103.jpeg IMG_2104.jpeg

Walnut blasting was always the eventual process for this in my mind but this seems pretty simple.

What are you physically doing to close the valves / rotate the engine? Is it a significant amount of extra disassembly to be able to do that?

OP
Ludeem1
Thread Starter #3
Walnut blasting was always the eventual process for this in my mind but this seems pretty simple.

What are you physically doing to close the valves / rotate the engine? Is it a significant amount of extra disassembly to be able to do that?
Yes I just rotated the engine until the valves I was cleaning were closed. Definitely easier to have a helper when rotating

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Sounds like detonation in the exhaust from running rich.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/lT44yZZ0uMk?feature=share
There are tunes that specifically aim to produce this kind of thing while in decel, off the throttle.
Altered programming, cooling, intake or/and exhaust can have unintended side effects but Ford appears to have otherwise worked out such issues (LSPI, significant or impactful valve build up) with the 1.6L GTDI engine.

It's a good idea to use API-SN or better oil. Less may end up back in the intake with more viscous oils. (keeping the cold start trade-off in mind)

Retorqued intake bolts, fresh gasket, and other measures taken during reassembly, help eliminate potential sources for unmetered air.

Last edited: