Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Catch can vent to atmosphere

Etyrnus

Interesting. My breather should be here soon, looks like a catch can my be next on my list...especially as I do about 250-350 miles a week.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
...to my surprise, the catch can collected nearly twice as much oil as the last time I checked the catch can ( btw, I check and empty the catch can about every 1500 miles also). I usually get about half an ounce every 1500 miles, but this time I got around an ounce. Now, I will say that I used a different oil this time. I usually use AMSOIL 5w-30 signature series, but this time I used Royal Purple 5w-30 because I had the day off and I didn't want to wait for UPS to deliver the AMSOIL. I have my AMSOIL for my next oil change, btw. Sooo, the higher amount of oil caught could be because of the different oil and/ or the fact that it's been much colder outside over the last few weeks.Either way...the breather and valve didn't reduce the amount of oil pulled into the PCV. I still have no residue around the breather as well.

Below are two pics of the amount of oil that I have caught in the catch can. One is without the breather with AMSOIL and warmer air and the other is with the breather with Royal Purple in cooler air.
Hey thanks for the update Roger!

But for the very reason you mention above (highlighted) I'm not so sure I would jump so quickly to the conclusion (below) based on one check that the breather cap didn't reduce the amount of oil captured....

Either way...the breather and valve didn't reduce the amount of oil pulled into the PCV.
As you mention yourself a few key differences (variables) noted between OCC empties particularly having to do with much colder ambient temps ....I would continue to monitor the OCC over time....Its been my experience having had OCC's installed on past vehicles that colder ambient temps always cause for far more liquid / vapor condensate to collect in the OCC...

I just think we just need a few more data points under "similar conditions" to draw any solid conclusions....

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Hey thanks for the update Roger!

But for the very reason you mention above (highlighted) I'm not so sure I would jump so quickly to the conclusion (below) based on one check that the breather cap didn't reduce the amount of oil captured....

As you mention yourself a few key differences (variables) noted between OCC empties particularly having to do with much colder ambient temps ....I would continue to monitor the OCC over time....Its been my experience having had OCC installed on past vehicles that colder ambient temps always cause for far more liquid / vapor condensate to collect in the OCC...
Yeah, that's why I did mention the variables as I'm thinking the same as you on this. I should also note that Royal Purple , from my experience, tends to be on the thin side and sheers fairly quickly on turbo cars. At least with Subarus. I plan to get that stuff out quickly. I will continue to monitor my catch can though.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Yeah, that's why I did mention the variables as I'm thinking the same as you on this. I should also note that Royal Purple , from my experience, tends to be on the thin side and sheers fairly quickly on turbo cars. At least with Subarus. I plan to get that stuff out quickly. I will continue to monitor my catch can though.
Any data is good data! So thanks for posting and much appreciated!...

I'll start monitoring as well as soon as I get my OCC installed this weekend...perhaps every 500 miles to start...Our weather out here has been fairly consistent (upper 70's / low 80's) and as always is with single digit humidity...

I am running the royal purple. so you are saying that the ams oil is a better product for a turbo car? I just did my first oil change a little bit ago and am due for an oil change soon. so where have you been getting the ams oil at?

JPGC

2000 Post Club
I am running the royal purple. so you are saying that the ams oil is a better product for a turbo car? I just did my first oil change a little bit ago and am due for an oil change soon. so where have you been getting the ams oil at?
IMHO, yes...but that's not scientifically backed other than seeing Blackstone labs reports on my WRX showing Royal Purple shearing from a 30 weight to a 20 weight within 1500 to 2000 miles. Just opinion and I don't want to start an oil discussion, lol. I have an AMSOIL account, so I order it online.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Frankly, I'd bet that the Royal Purple is the main reason for the higher amount of oil in my catch can. Check out Bob's the oil guy for oil info. A lot of good info there...many years of info.

Etyrnus

I've had mine on for about a week, and put about 500 miles on my car since putting it on. Several hard pulls, including a few datalog pulls, and no sign of oil spray, no CEL. No OCC to check yet, though.

OP
C
Thread Starter #110
I've had mine on for about a week, and put about 500 miles on my car since putting it on. Several hard pulls, including a few datalog pulls, and no sign of oil spray, no CEL. No OCC to check yet, though.
Good to hear. It seems so far I am the only one with a small accumulation of oil but sans PCV connections.

Etyrnus

Good to hear. It seems so far I am the only one with a small accumulation of oil but sans PCV connections.
I haven't pulled the filter off to check, I've mainly been watching for spray. I'll check to see if there's any accumulation when i get home tonight.

Etyrnus

Update: I have had a tiny bit of accumulation, but no spray. May be due to still being on the motorcraft synthetic blend. No oil smells, no, MIL. So far, seems like a good investment.