Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Changing from US to Euro rear bumper (2011-2015+)

Recently I found an offer on eBay for a European rear bumper from a 2013 (same as US 2014) Fiesta Zetec S 1.0L Ecoboost. GBP (UK Pounds) 80 plus GBP 360 shipping, GBP 420 total. Ite ven had the lower valance, rear fog an reflectors. Try parting this out new and you'll see why GBP 420 is such a huge bargain! They even threw in the european crash bar for free (note: if you do this, you MUST also get the european crash bar, as you'll see why).

The bumper arrived today via FedEx, packaged as well as it could be for such a large part:

Euro Bumper Replacement by dirtyblueshirt, on Flickr

Before I get started, here's what a stock US bumper looks like:

I unpackaged the bumper, did some quick cleaning, and removed the wrecker's paint pen markings with some rubbing alcohol:

Then I removed the bumper. There's two pop clips and an 8mm screw in each wheel well, and two torx screws in the hatch lip. The rest of the bumper uses clips on the seam between the wheel well and the tail lights. Take care when removing, the tabs can be easy to break. The tabs are on a piece of plastic attached to the car, and f you break too many, the part shouldn't be too costly at your local dealer. There are also two pop clips on the underside of the bumper to remove.

There will be two pieces to remove after you get the cover off. The crash bar, and the plastic 'egg crate' filler piece. The crash bar comes out with 4 13mm nuts on either side. The egg crate is riveted in, and you will need to drill out 4 rivets. If you have keyless ignition, you will also see an antenna module attached to the egg crate. this is the proximity antenna that allows you to open the hatch with the fob in your pocket. We'll reposition this later.

Some fabrication will be required to get the european crash bar in place. The US bar uses 4 bolts on either side, the Euro version uses only 3. The bottom two bolts will line up perfectly. the top-outer bolt does not line up, and the top-inner bolt does not have a hole at all. Using your US crash bar as a guide, line up the bottom holes, then mark and drill holes for the top-inner bolt. The top-outer bolt sits to far to the edge to make a proper hole, so you can notch it out. I used a hacksaw to make two parallel lines, then with a pare of vise grips, bent the tab 90? one way, then the other and it came off cleanly.
ere you can see the difference in US & EU crash standards, and the modifications required to the EU crash bar:

After removing the plastic egg crate filler, I drilled two holes into the body, then re-attached the antenna module:

I then reattached the bumper, did a quick polish, and admired my handiwork:

EPILOGUE:
I still have a few things left. First, I need to mark and drill the holes needed for my rear parking sensors. Second, the dual-tip Mountune exhaust sits offset to the exhaust notch in the lower valance for the Zetec S. I'll need to fix that somehow, haven't decided yet. Will need to do soon as the valance is sitting directly on an exhaust tip now. Finally, I learned after purchase that non-ST Fiestas after 2013 get "Deep Impact Blue" instead of "Spirit Blue", aka "Performance Blue" (we likely get Performance blue on both here because the colors are nearly identical, and less expensive to just use the single hue stateside). You can just barely make out the difference in the photos. Instead of a full respray, I'm going to price out a blend, since the colors are so close together. The other reason for this is that there are some scuffs on the left side to be taken out as well.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Your car now has no ba-donk-a-donk.

Dave

OP
DirtyBlueshirt
Thread Starter #8
I'd like to do this for the front bumper to get the tow hook.. that'd be nice
That's a lot of change for even less of a visual impact - Even I didn't want to go that far :) Sourcing front end parts (in this case the bumper cover and the front crash bar) from a wrecker is usually more difficult, since those are the more common reasons to find a car in a wrecking yard.

OP
DirtyBlueshirt
Thread Starter #9
Now that you can fit the UK bumper maybe look into this bad boy at some point.. Like the look or not, it is unique ..
If anything, I'd get the Mountune valance to match my exhaust - But I really like the Zetec S rear diffuser, it gives me the "It looks like an ST, but not exactly" look. Of course I could swap out the front inserts to match the Zetec S package, but not sure on that just yet.

Edit - Just went to the KMS Motorsport site. Their link to the 'online store' just goes to a graphic with their phone number. eCommerce Fail.

That's a lot of change for even less of a visual impact - Even I didn't want to go that far :) Sourcing front end parts (in this case the bumper cover and the front crash bar) from a wrecker is usually more difficult, since those are the more common reasons to find a car in a wrecking yard.
yea.. but I also would want it so the Type R splitter would fit perfectly

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
yea.. but I also would want it so the Type R splitter would fit perfectly
The Triple R splitter does fit perfectly.
You just need to drill a few holes that you wont see anyway.

Dave

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Are you just going to connect them to the tail lights?
Or a separate Rear Fog switch?

Dave

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Too bad you won't be able to get the dash icon to light without surgery.

Dave