Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Changing Spark Plugs

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Not knowing as much as most of you guys here, I just had my stock plugs replaced and I've noticed a big difference in the acceleration! I had the tranny fluid changed to Ravelon and am very pleased with the gear changes, much smoother. Now I'm goof for a few more miles until I get the timing belt changed and then am going for the 200,000 mile mark.

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #42
For anyone changing their plugs:
The stock NGK plugs part number is 6509. One step colder plugs part number is 6510.
Spark plugs gap is 0.025 according to SrsBsns, that's what I gapped mine at and it runs fine. Dizzy says gap at 0.028, but that might only apply to his tunes. Other people on here run a 0.026 gap.
NGK says don't use antiseize.
Torque specs are 10-12 ft ibs according to SrsBsns. I've never seen anyone recommend higher than 14 ft lbs. Mine are torqued at 12 ft lbs.
Get a long thin-walled spark plug socket, I promise its worth it!

Hopefully, this will be helpful newbies out there trying to change their plugs.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
All my regular servicing stuff is done at the dealership and any aftermarket stuff is done by FSWerks, so I know it's all done properly. I'm too old and too arthritic to do anything myself! My car was tuned by Raffi and I'm more than pleased with the results!

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Get a long thin-walled spark plug socket, I promise its worth it!
Get one that is magnetic. The ones with the silicon sleeve have a tendency to age-out and start dropping the plugs. Just dealt with this changing the plugs on a different vehicle last weekend. Went and checked my yet unused thin-wall only to discover it won't hold a plug at all. Had to use a magnet to pull the plugs. I bought a magnetic (non thin wall) just to finish the job.

I'll be looking for a magnetic thin wall.....

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Get one that is magnetic. The ones with the silicon sleeve have a tendency to age-out and start dropping the plugs. Just dealt with this changing the plugs on a different vehicle last weekend. Went and checked my yet unused thin-wall only to discover it won't hold a plug at all. Had to use a magnet to pull the plugs. I bought a magnetic (non thin wall) just to finish the job.

I'll be looking for a magnetic thin wall.....
I have had a snap on socket for 20 years....still holds plugs perfect....I guess that says the quality of rubber being used as inserts lately.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I have had a snap on socket for 20 years....still holds plugs perfect....I guess that says the quality of rubber being used as inserts lately.
Yeah the never used thin-wall I picked up was recommended by someone here. The terminal/cap/bulb on the end of the plug gets screwed off** with some vehicles so it might be just incompatible. Regardless it's going to have the same issue and probably sooner down the line. The other one which is well over 20 years old I had since my first car. I could probably "fix" it but just not worth the time; and have had trouble out of it before. It was past time for an upgrade. 🙂

1643554263350.png 1643554279591.png
1643554238181.png