Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

CLOSED: Cyborg TurboCharger * NOT AVAILABLE *

Status
Not open for further replies.

twolf

Did you have an engine fire and some serious detonation? I'm not sure what all is going on here.
I think he said he cracked the head by dumping a ton of meth into it. but i'm not sure what all that black crud is.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #1,025
This is the head off my spare engine. It needs some love. As for my engine, I sprinted out the door ( of work ) to try and get food on my 30min total lunch break, and I have a friend that has been talking about buying a fist go with me.

We jumped in the car, the temp gauge said the coolant want at normal temp, but thinking about it now, I doubt everything was upto full temps. I did a 20-135mph pull and at the top of the pull, it started smoking, so I thought it was an oil feed line leak or something. The car never lost power, and even still right now has not lost any power at all. But a spot on the upper middle part of the cylinder head is leaking oil threw the pores. Its a very slow leak, but it drips down onto the exhaust manifold. I've made attempts to ghetto-fix it with JB weld, but its really hard to get to and see. Luckly, I have my lexus I can drive :)

But... It means the spare head I have came along at the perfect time.

The motor I got was totaled because of a battery fire that melted the coil packs, engine cover, and intake manifold.

But I'm gonna have to spend some money to get the spare head decked at least, and new head gasket set, new head bolts etc etc etc, so I'm forced to sell my ATP cooler I was very excited about, hense the stock cooler going back on last weekend :(

But... Play you pay, and if you do stupid things ( like push a cold engine to 135-140mph ), you gotta deal with it :)

I've learned a lot about the motor, so I'm not too mad :)

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
That head looks super rough man. I hope it cleans up well. Probably wouldn't hurt to go ahead spend on new valvetrain components.

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #1,027
That head looks super rough man. I hope it cleans up well. Probably wouldn't hurt to go ahead spend on new valvetrain components.
All i need is the "frame" of the head, not the cams or anything else :)

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #1,029
I'd like to figure out something with the spare exhaust cam too, like something to add a bit of lift to the hpfi

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
Well... When your comparing these numbers to the king of FWD horsepower and torque, lol... Right off the top before anything is compared the SRT4 has 33% more engine than the fiesta. The 2.4L/2.0L dodge engine actually has way more "motorsport" into it than the 1.6L fiesta engine ever thought about. Our fiesta engine is roughly the same ole engine that was originally designed from top to bottom to be lower power, reliable, good fuel mileage, and cheap. The 2.0L focus engine is a close brother to the mazdeSpeed engine and its been developed over years and years and by race teams too ( M-sport, Ken Block etc type cars ). I'd say for sure the 1.6L is generally harder to make power with. Also... Think in your head, what are the all time favorite 1.6L engines from 1985 to current that racers have successfully used to kick ass with ??? Pretty much none..... Ok.... The B16 honda, but it has 8500rpms to work with; and even those guys take about 6 months to jump ship to a B18 the very first chance they get because the 1.6L is guttless without 8500rpms and a big turbo. Where does that leave us? 3 options. #1 keep the truck engine type power band and have good drivability while tuners try to balance the tight rope of "response" and the car having lag or "response" and the car freaking out and trying to rip your face off at 1/2 throttle.. #2 the cyborg retains most the good things about stock drivability, while def making a nice increase in upper rpm power with proper supporting mods and tuning. #3 show Russ the money. Russ can get you most the response close to the cyborg while offering intensely more power if your into a 2700-2800lbs open diff twitchy 350+whp fwd car type of person.

The 1.6L is 100% going to have a trade off vs a 2.4L. I don't care how many vtak's and direct injections and cybrogs you throw at it, the 2.4L will always offer a better response with a bigger turbo and be able to make more power while keeping it drivable. Its the nature of the beast. Doesn't stop us from trying.

But I didn't answer the question.... And I'm not going to yet.

2 years ago when this cyborg idea was first planned, cobb was claiming 217whp with stage3 OTS 93tunes and only there stage3 parts. This turned out to be a little "generous" some would say and I'll leave it at that. But the point is really this... The cyborg wasn't meant ( at first ) to really make much more power than the cobb stg3 claims. I had hoped it would make 225-230whp, but not make it at 5200rpm and then fall on its face. It was ment to stop the tire shredding donkey kick the stock turbo has, that ultimately is pointless ( all be it entertaining ). So 225-230whp was the peak whp goals with a 500rpm shift to the right, of the powerband.

Fast forward to last year ( or rewind ) and it got really interesting when I put on the 2J racing intake. I had actually borrowed a "cai" from a friend, and it didn't seem like it did anything. And I was meeting my power goals with 240-245whp. I really didn't think an intake would change much, but then Joe finally built them and I was a little shocked to gain 10-17whp or something like that over a green drop in. Then I put on the meth and the car freaked out. You could actually FEEL the meth come on !! My srt4 never did that... It made 270-275whp fairly consistent, and had a few in the 280-284whp range. I was shocked. The first goal was 230whp and a better usable power band. My meth kit sucked. I still used the stock doughnut equipped hot pipe, my intercooler does a good job but isn't the best, and to see anything like 280whp, I was shocked.

Fast forward to now... I'm not shocked to see 290whp. I still think it will do 300whp with a better cooler and a real tuner that is.... A TUNER. I've been tuning this car for 2 years with "trial and error" mostly and my understanding of the entire system is truly lacking. When I sent Russ my tune to help me out with the fueling issue, this was his first response...

But I don't sell tunes nor do I plan on selling them, I'm just getting by.

Disappointed ??? No way. Far from it. From where we were and where we are? I'm still very impressed.

A note of warning though... Don't expect power numbers like these if your not willing to push the edge, run high boost, run high timing, punish the engine, and run a ton of meth through the engine. Its not typical. Its not normal. And unless someone has a vested interest in this turbo like I do, no one else will prob push it like I do. And even if you did want to.... I sorta doubt a tuner would push it this far because if your motor fails, who's engine blood is on that tuners hands? Would risk your rep as a tuner to push something like this? If I sold tunes, no... I wouldn't.

That being said... I don't see any reason why someone in good weather and correct supporting mods couldn't make 245whp to 275whp with correct fueling and a tuner willing to push it.

Also note... Not a single tuner has a vested interest in making a turbo sold by someone else really kick ass.... I'd play it safe too on customers cars that my rep is on the line with.

And I def would not run this tune on anything other than a drag race type car for 0mph to 115-120mph. If I was gonna run anything autocross or really hard spirited road driving over and over and over, I would and will be taking it out of "kill mode". But kill mode will always be just a map switch away ;)

Long winded... Sorry guys :)

Also a note to throw into all this. The origional Cyborg Turbo is still in service and running strong, so hats off the the work you have done SS.

lessard.dcj

1000 Post Club
shity luck [MENTION=688]Sourskittle[/MENTION], was that the videos i saw on youtube? hope you het it all sorted out

OP
Sourskittle

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Thread Starter #1,034
Cyborg upgraded stock Turbocharger system

That weird thing on the back of the intake cam, its black and has a hose going to it...

Has a mini rotary engine in it ( like most rotarys, this one is broken ).

This is what drives the rotary

Status
Not open for further replies.