Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clutch bleeding Procedure

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I need to bleed my clutch because the fluid isn't looking so good and I'm overdue to do it. What process do y'all use to do it? I will have people available to help, so I'm looking for the easiest way to get it done.
I have searched on the forum and YouTube, but most people talked about how to bleed the clutch after changing it instead of a general maintenance bleed.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I need to bleed my clutch because the fluid isn't looking so good and I'm overdue to do it. What process do y'all use to do it? I will have people available to help, so I'm looking for the easiest way to get it done.
I have searched on the forum and YouTube, but most people talked about how to bleed the clutch after changing it instead of a general maintenance bleed.
Everything you need * 1 person Job....if anyone else is involved, you're doing something wrong.

Motive Products - 0108 Brake... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TK9FE8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Motive Products - 1820 Brake... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00942XQ06?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #3
Everything you need * 1 person Job....if anyone else is involved, you're doing something wrong.

Motive Products - 0108 Brake... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TK9FE8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Motive Products - 1820 Brake... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00942XQ06?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

What if I was trying to do this tomorrow and that stuff wouldn't arrive in time? Could I do it the same way as I do brakes aka, someone in the car pumps the clutch then holds it while someone at the hood opens the bleeder then closes it.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
What if I was trying to do this tomorrow and that stuff wouldn't arrive in time? Could I do it the same way as I do brakes aka, someone in the car pumps the clutch then holds it while someone at the hood opens the bleeder then closes it.
Nope...dont do it without it* I've tried....it was fruitless

I one bled my brakes by making one of those "bleeders" with some walmart tube and a plastic bottle you can prolly get those parts tomorrow theres a guide on Youtube! hope this gets you back to driving soon!

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #6

Why does this say it's for GM stuff?

I one bled my brakes by making one of those "bleeders" with some walmart tube and a plastic bottle you can prolly get those parts tomorrow theres a guide on Youtube! hope this gets you back to driving soon!
Thanks, it ended up raining all day so I couldn't do it today anyway.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Why does this say it's for GM stuff?

Thanks, it ended up raining all day so I couldn't do it today anyway.
Disregard the GM label....its just a designation used when it was first made because it was mostly for GM cap design....But as we all know every manufacturer will use any cap design if another manufacturer uses that design also.

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #8
Disregard the GM label....its just a designation used when it was first made because it was mostly for GM cap design....But as we all know every manufacturer will use any cap design if another manufacturer uses that design also.

Thanks, just bought it!
How do you use it?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thanks, just bought it!
How do you use it?
It's a pressure bleeder * Fixed for Steve* it hooks up to the Master cylinder reservoir and you pump it up to seal the system and open the bleeder and the fluid comes right out along with an air in the system. Made quick work flushing the brake system and clutch system. I did them both in under 30 mins after setting the car up on jackstands and removing all the wheels.

Last edited:

SteveS

1000 Post Club
It's a Vacuum bleeder * itbhooks up to the Master cylinder reservoir and you pump it up to seal the system and open the bleeder and the fluid comes right out along with an air in the system. Made quick work flushing the brake system and clutch system. I did them both in under 30 mins after setting the car up on jackstands and removing all the wheels.

That sounds like a pressure bleeder.

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #11
It's a Vacuum bleeder * itbhooks up to the Master cylinder reservoir and you pump it up to seal the system and open the bleeder and the fluid comes right out along with an air in the system. Made quick work flushing the brake system and clutch system. I did them both in under 30 mins after setting the car up on jackstands and removing all the wheels.

Ok thanks, it just all clicked for me lol.
So do you add fresh fluid into the bleeder tank or just top off the reservoir?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Ok thanks, it just all clicked for me lol.
So do you add fresh fluid into the bleeder tank or just top off the reservoir?
First you will pressure check the system dry* to see if there are any issues sealing. After pumping the handle/ pressurize to 15psi let it sit for I'd say about 5 minutes watching the gauge to see if it loses pressure. If the gauge doesn't move you know the system will seal. Release the pressure and then fill the bottle with 1 qt. Of brake fluid. It's better to have too much fluid in the bottle than not enough. Repressurize the system with fluid to 15 psi in the bottle making sure you don't lose pressure again. Now that you can hold pressure and there is fluid in the bottle....go to the slave cylinder bleeder screw and hook up the Bleeder bottle with the tube to it and open the Bleeder. Watch the fluid very closely as now is the time you will seebit burp the bubbles out and into the fluid Into the bottle. Now you will also be watching for a clean stream non bubble filled brake fluid to come through. After No bubbles are determined close the Bleeder. Release the pressure of the bottle, install brake fluid cap and go actuate the clutch pedal 5 times. Hook the Bleeder back up and ensure you have enough fluid in it and bleed it again to ensure all the air is completely out. Repeat the monitoring of the pressure to ensure it holds pressure. Go open the Bleeder and catch the fluid again watching for bubbles. If there are no bubbles....you are good to go. Close the bleeder* then Depressurize the system put the master cyl cap back on and go test drive around the block where you live*

This is also a great video to watch also

View: https://youtu.be/miv3jjN95ok

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
That sounds like a pressure bleeder.
Yes it is a pressure bleeder/power bleeder* but if you put in vacuum bleeder it comes up also. I think the Newly formed Disinformation team needs to be informed at the white house as Google is spreading falsehoods!

Last edited:
OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #14
First you will pressure check the system dry* to see if there are any issues sealing. After pumping the handle/ pressurize to 15psi let it sit for I'd say about 5 minutes watching the gauge to see if it loses pressure. If the gauge doesn't move you know the system will seal. Release the pressure and then fill the bottle with 1 qt. Of brake fluid. It's better to have too much fluid in the bottle than not enough. Repressurize the system with fluid to 15 psi in the bottle making sure you don't lose pressure again. Now that you can hold pressure and there is fluid in the bottle....go to the slave cylinder bleeder screw and hook up the Bleeder bottle with the tube to it and open the Bleeder. Watch the fluid very closely as now is the time you will seebit burp the bubbles out and into the fluid Into the bottle. Now you will also be watching for a clean stream non bubble filled brake fluid to come through. After No bubbles are determined close the Bleeder. Release the pressure of the bottle, install brake fluid cap and go actuate the clutch pedal 5 times. Hook the Bleeder back up and ensure you have enough fluid in it and bleed it again to ensure all the air is completely out. Repeat the monitoring of the pressure to ensure it holds pressure. Go open the Bleeder and catch the fluid again watching for bubbles. If there are no bubbles....you are good to go. Close the bleeder* then Depressurize the system put the master cyl cap back on and go test drive around the block where you live*

This is also a great video to watch also

View: https://youtu.be/miv3jjN95ok

Thanks! Sorry for all the questions, I'm kinda paranoid about messing up the slave cylinder.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thanks! Sorry for all the questions, I'm kinda paranoid about messing up the slave cylinder.
There is a seal on the end of the line that goes I to the slave Cylinder....if you pull the line off, you may lose it. I recommend just buying a new line. They are cheap I think it was under $20 from fomoco. You can't buy the seal it only comes with the line* this is mine missing the seal.

Last edited:
OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #17
Snapchat-1308819246.jpg
Is this the clutch bleed valve?
I've been looking on YouTube and can't find a good video showing how to bleed this clutch. If I actually knew what I was doing, I would try to make my own video.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
View attachment 48857
Is this the clutch bleed valve?
I've been looking on YouTube and can't find a good video showing how to bleed this clutch. If I actually knew what I was doing, I would try to make my own video.
That is just the bleeder cap* take it off and that is the bleeder *

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Also, I used sealing tape to seal the brass fitting. Before I did that, it would slowly loose pressure.
If you are referring too the Brake bleeder by motive. The two rubber wafer/ washers are also different thicknesses I noticed. Use whatever one can completely seal the system the best. Also the best way to bleed the clutch I've found is on jackstands without removing the airbox. Ill bet I can bleed my clutch now in 15-20 including jacking up the car.