Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Clutch strength

Jbnn

Hi I have a Fiesta 19'. It was easy to find on my previous car that the clutch could take a lot more horsepower and torque,

Now on mark 8 I have more trouble finding info,maybe because its not as widely available.

Is it fine to do a "stage 1" tune on this car?

I know before I bought this I read some cars the clutch wouldnt even take stage one, Mini cooper for one

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
He has a Mk 8, but I believe that they are still using the Mk 7's IB6 and clutch system, just with an added Quaife diff? [dunno]

Either way, whatever they put in those things can easily handle any 'stage 1' type power upgrades. [wink] [thumb]

Sam4

It's the tranny you have to worry about. Internal bearings/input shaft before 60K (warranty battle - won!), syncro's in 3rd and 5th don't play nicely anymore for downshifting at 95K. Ford rep 'freaked' - "you have this chipped?? The tranny can't handle that kind of power!" when warranty claiming the shaft bearings. I'd say my Livernois tune may be good for 5 - 8hp? Maybe I'm making a few over 200 ponies? And Ford freaked....

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
It's the tranny you have to worry about. Internal bearings/input shaft before 60K (warranty battle - won!), syncro's in 3rd and 5th don't play nicely anymore for downshifting at 95K. Ford rep 'freaked' - "you have this chipped?? The tranny can't handle that kind of power!" when warranty claiming the shaft bearings. I'd say my Livernois tune may be good for 5 - 8hp? Maybe I'm making a few over 200 ponies? And Ford freaked....
The Ford dealer is not "Ford", they are an independent contractor. They sell Fords and pretend to work on them, LOL! If you want tranny info contact the maker, Magna PT who owns what was Getrag. I checked with them years ago on fluid type and level. Any Mods other than the Ford approved Mountune MP-215 are warranty killers on powertrain issues in most countries. That was it's major selling point, so basically Ford put a 215HP limit on warranty coverage. Ford would not approve or certify the 230 HP version. People on this forum have much higher HP and no tranny issues. Lots of those type issues are related to user actions. Synchro's are wear items, the more aggressively you use them the faster they wear out. Most people have never heard of double clutching to preserve synchro's or gear skipping in city traffic to reduce clutch wear and increase economy.

The Ford dealer is not "Ford", they are an independent contractor. They sell Fords and pretend to work on them, LOL! If you want tranny info contact the maker, Magna PT who owns what was Getrag. I checked with them years ago on fluid type and level. Any Mods other than the Ford approved Mountune MP-215 are warranty killers on powertrain issues in most countries. That was it's major selling point, so basically Ford put a 215HP limit on warranty coverage. Ford would not approve or certify the 230 HP version. People on this forum have much higher HP and no tranny issues. Lots of those type issues are related to user actions. Synchro's are wear items, the more aggressively you use them the faster they wear out. Most people have never heard of double clutching to preserve synchro's or gear skipping in city traffic to reduce clutch wear and increase economy.
legit question here, wouldn't gear skipping on a turbo'ed engine be a bad idea? as you aren't supposed to lug the engine?

SteveS

1000 Post Club
legit question here, wouldn't gear skipping on a turbo'ed engine be a bad idea? as you aren't supposed to lug the engine?
Gear skipping is fine as long as you end up at good rpm/speed combinations. For example, on a 45 mph road, 1-2-3-6 is perfectly fine as you will easily reach 45 in 3rd (or even 2nd), and loafing along in 6th is also fine.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Gear skipping is fine as long as you end up at good rpm/speed combinations. For example, on a 45 mph road, 1-2-3-6 is perfectly fine as you will easily reach 45 in 3rd (or even 2nd), and loafing along in 6th is also fine.
Use 1-2-4-6

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Also, if that is the case then Ford themselves are promoting that 'harm' to the engine.
Ever notice just how low the revs are when the upshift arrow lights up in the cluster? [wink]

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Also, if that is the case then Ford themselves are promoting that 'harm' to the engine.
Ever notice just how low the revs are when the upshift arrow lights up in the cluster? [wink]
I also thought that arrow indicates a ridiculously early shift point. I would never shift with the RPMs that low.

Sam4

I get flamed every time I say this, but Getrag and Ford designed the cheapest tranny they could (design/engineering goals), using the cheapest components available. While this is capitalism at it's finest - I am forced to vote with my wallet, no more Fords. Which is easy!! They got nothin' for me....
What would you purchase from Ford, today, with only your paycheck and credit score?

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I get flamed every time I say this, but Getrag and Ford designed the cheapest tranny they could (design/engineering goals), using the cheapest components available. While this is capitalism at it's finest - I am forced to vote with my wallet, no more Fords. Which is easy!! They got nothin' for me....
What would you purchase from Ford, today, with only your paycheck and credit score?
F150 quite possibly in the near future.

yea, the cars where the only thing by ford I Cared about (2 focus’, a fusion, and now a FiST) so my next vehicle likely won’t be a ford