Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Codes galore, and a fuel leak :(

What's Up Everyone!

I have a problem that I'm having a hard time diagnosing.

Backstory: Back in June, I was driving uphill in 100+ degree weather with the A/C running. My car (2017) started to overheat.
I was able to keep the temps down by not driving so quickly, and car never went in to limp mode or anything.

Car was driven several times after that with no noticeable problems.

Fast forward to last week, I took a quick spin to the store, when I got back to my car it smelled like fuel. I thought it might be someone else's car or something, but when I got home it was definitely coming from my car.
The fuel smell dissipated fairly quickly.

I planned on taking a look, but didn't have much time.

This week I had to run to the store once more and decided to see if it was still doing the same thing, when I got home I noticed a fairly decent amount of fuel pouring out from behind the engine.
I couldn't see clearly from above due to intake and cowling. Car is too low to get a good idea of exactly where it was coming from from below.
I could see it was dripping off of the RMM, and on to the 2 point traction bar, but that was about it. When the car was turned off, the dripping stopped.

I checked at AP and I have a bunch of codes:

P0217 (from the overheat)
P025A (Fuel Pump Module A Control Circuit/Open)
P0454 (Evaporative Emission System Pressure Sensor/Switch Intermittent)
P144C (Evaporative Emission System Purge Check Valve Performance)
U0109 (Lost Communication With Fuel Pump Control Module A)

I know the evap purge valve is a common issue, and I'm leaning towards replacing that as a next step, but what's with the other two codes about the fuel pump?

Anyone seen anything like this? I pulled the intake and cowling to see if there's any obvious wire damage or loose connections without luck.

I also tested the fuel pump relay and some of the other fuel and emission related fuses without any obvious problems.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance everyone.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
And your sure it was fuel? Did you actually smell it and rub it through your fingers? What are your mods? Have you been working in or around that area of the leak lately? This may be qualified under powertrain warranty high is 5yr/60k depending on your mileage. Does it run and start fine?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
D
Thread Starter #3
It smelled very strongly of raw fuel, and had the slightly greasy feel once dried that fuel does.
Also it was more than just a slow drip, I'd say 4 to 5 drips per second.
I've been tuned since I got the car, I dont think anything is under warranty any more. Haven't done anything back there lately, probably the 2 pt traction bar like a year ago, recently started working on a backup cam.

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
If it really is fuel you need to dig deep enough to see the hpfp. Take off the cowl, engine covers and take out the fuel rail and then take out the hpfp, and cam bucket. Inspect both. Have you done any work or had work done to the fuel system recently? What mods are you running? How many miles on the car? It sounds to me like your fuel rail running from the hardline to the hpfp could have a leak or it's leaking at the hpfp fitting.

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
do you top off your tank at the gas station? I.E. When the pump shuts off automatically you give an extra pump? That can flood your evap cannister.
It clearly points to some kind of fuel pump issue and like RocketST said I would get in there and get to the HPFP as if its dripping down on the back of the engine that indicates either the line to it or it is having a problem. Either way thats an extreme fire hazard that could be catastrophic if driven in current state.
Do not drive the car till you have figured this out.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
do you top off your tank at the gas station? I.E. When the pump shuts off automatically you give an extra pump? That can flood your evap cannister.
It clearly points to some kind of fuel pump issue and like RocketST said I would get in there and get to the HPFP as if its dripping down on the back of the engine that indicates either the line to it or it is having a problem. Either way thats an extreme fire hazard that could be catastrophic if driven in current state.
Do not drive the car till you have figured this out.
Car-B-Que Time*

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
D
Thread Starter #8
The last few times I started up it drove just fine, I didn't do any huge WOT pulls since I started having the issues though.

I don't top off, just the usual calculation of E85, then a fill up of premium till the shut off, nothing more.

My mods are in my sig: "COBB RMM - FSWERKS Shift Kit - Whoosh FMIC V1 - Vudu Symposer Delete - Res Delete - CPE Intake - Swift Springs - Whoosh Catted DP - Whoosh Hybrid Turbo - E30 Tuned by Adam @ Tune+ - Dizzy Tuning Ethanol Content Analyzer/Gauge "

The only fuel system stuff I've worked on was the ethanol content analyzer that has been working fine since I installed a year ago.
That was one of my first guesses, but the area around the ethanol analyzer didn't appear to have any leaked fuel residue, and looked fine when I checked under the hood while it was actively leaking.

I certainly won't go for a spin in this state, haha. I already have the intake and cowling off, so I guess the next step is to pull stuff to check the HPFP.

If I were to reassemble without the cowling, I might have a better view of where the fuel is coming from, I assume that would be helpful yea?

Should I even worry about the evap purge valve stuff now, or wait until I know where the fuel leak is occurring?

Thanks again for the help everyone.

OP
D
Thread Starter #10
Found the leak by priming the car, it was the line going from the ethanol content analyzer to the fuel rail.
I'm trying to bypass the analyzer but the fuel line disconnect tool is too tall to remove the original line from the analyzer.

Maybe it got too hot during the overheat or something, definitely sounds like a sketchy situation if it were to spring a leak during an engine overheat scenario.

I have someone dropping off their disconnect tool that is a bit lower profile, I'll update when I get a chance to hook the fuel rail back up.

OP
D
Thread Starter #11
Got the stock fuel line connected back up to the hpfp, no more leak or codes!

Back to guesstimating e30 on fill up haha.

Thanks again for the help!