Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Coolant Bypass Valves

What exactly do the coolant bypass valves do? Are these purely for faster engine warm ups due to emission concerns?

If the valves gets stuck, wouldn't they prevent or slow coolant flow resulting in overheating issues?

Long story short, I removed the valves/gates on my 2 bypass valves to diagnose an engine overheat problem. I don't know if they were working or not when the engine had overheating problems. I just don't want to put new ones in if they're only for faster warm up of the engine.

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
What exactly do the coolant bypass valves do? Are these purely for faster engine warm ups due to emission concerns?

If the valves gets stuck, wouldn't they prevent or slow coolant flow resulting in overheating issues?

Long story short, I removed the valves/gates on my 2 bypass valves to diagnose an engine overheat problem. I don't know if they were working or not when the engine had overheating problems. I just don't want to put new ones in if they're only for faster warm up of the engine.
Sure they can lock shut or open depending on their last pulse but, not only do they improve emissions but also improve the life of the motor. The time your engines oil is heating up is actually the highest wear it received in a normal situation. You should really consider putting them back in and actually correcting your issue rather than putting a bandaid on it. No offense meant btw, just my opinion

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Have you tried hooking them up to a 12v source and hearing if they click open or closed?

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Also, your changing the route your coolant takes, you could very well be compounding the issue but I don't know all your specifics.

OP
D
Thread Starter #5
I just think having them open would allow better flow of coolant when the thermostat is open. And lower the risk of them being stuck which may or may not cause overheating(?)

I didn't bypass them by rerouting or anything. I literally took them apart and removed the gate/valve so they can't close up the passage.

I think these motors, even after the coolant "fix" is more more likely to overheat and cause damage than not having motor oil warm up fast enough. At least that's what I've gather from research on the 1.6 ecoboost.

If the valves are purely for faster warmup then I'm leaving them "off" or permanently "open" but I have no idea what I'm talking about so I need confirmation lol

Last edited: