Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Disabling Airbags with ForScan

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Edit: Obviously I’m not suggesting you disable airbags for street use but those of us who track don’t want them blowing off in our faces when contacting curbing. I’ve seen it happen multiple times. So on with my question:

Has anyone who tracks used ForScan to disable the airbags for driver and/or passenger side? I see the option and am tempted to try but I’m a newb with ForScan.

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
If you get into any type of ACCIDENT and the Airbags are disabled. The insurance Co will VOID your coverage...FYI. Food for thought. i know you've been having issues though with them racing.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
If you get into any type of ACCIDENT and the Airbags are disabled. The insurance Co will VOID your coverage...FYI. Food for thought. i know you've been having issues though with them racing.
This was posted in the track page. Not street related.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
This was posted in the track page. Not street related.
But i do know they will cover some with Lockton or Heacock classic* But you would have to call them. But like i said if Safety systems are disabled they may not cover anything at all.

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
But i do know they will cover some with Lockton or Heacock classic* But you would have to call them. But like i said if Safety systems are disabled they may not cover anything at all.
I have an annual policy with OpenTrack which is the company that underwrites Lockton/RLI and Hagerty. They don’t care if a track car has airbags. Trust me, it’s safer to disable airbags if you’re using a harness and HANS. I’d say leave them intact if you’re using an OEM 3 point belt though.

My Tacoma came with a button from the factory that disables side airbags when wheeling. The manual even tells you to disable them when off-road.

The most sure way to disable them would be to unplug each airbag and replace it with a resistor to trick the system into thinking it’s there. This way the light doesn’t illuminate and also it ensures that no other issues arise.

Or leave the warning light. Cause racecar.

Mine no longer sees the street (except in Mexico), and I have removed the airbags …. along with a host of other features. My dash looks like a Christmas tree 👍🏻

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
All my driver airbags are unplugged and resisted. An even easier way would be to turn them off with ForScan though. I'll just do it and see what happens lol.

All my driver airbags are unplugged and resisted. An even easier way would be to turn them off with ForScan though. I'll just do it and see what happens lol.
Please report back. I don’t care about the dash light enough to put resistors in. But, if I can make that light go away easily with FORSCAN, then why not?

OP
Woods247

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
Please report back. I don’t care about the dash light enough to put resistors in. But, if I can make that light go away easily with FORSCAN, then why not?
I ran the procedure using engineering mode and it accepted “without airbags” but the dash light is still on sooooo I guess I won’t really know if they’re disabled until I wreck. 😂