Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Discount Tire rules drama with 205/50R16

SteveS

1000 Post Club
I really would love to see a comparison between 205 and 185 section width tires in the snow on the same car in a few inches of snow, rain and dry. I get the idea behind it but I have serious doubts that it makes anywhere near enough of an impact for people to be so adamant about it.

I've gone to skinnier tires for my winter set up before with prior vehicles and decided both times it was a mistake and not worth sacrificing non-snow grip for what, to me, was an indistinguishable benefit.

Also, the 1970 beetle might have been the best car you've driven in the snow not exclusively because it had 145 section width (winter?) tires but because it weighs almost 1,000lbs less than the FiST and better weight distribution with you driving it. My Miatas were fantastic to drive in the snow with winter tires on.
https://www.gummibereifung.de/news/adac-compares-widths-of-winter-tyres-small-or-extra-wide

Business6

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
Huh,1st Vredersteiner I've seen here! 'Old' must be accurate, since they're not gumballs, and nobody's heard of 'em (215.45.17 AS on mine). I'm older than dirt at this point....
I had never heard of them till I bought my car, CarMax installed them, I looked them up, $300+ a piece, $1200 for a set. I've never spent that much in my life and I'm 63 on a set of tires.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
If you think Discount Tire gives you a hard time about non approved tires.
Just go see how they freak out about ARP studs or when I converted my Mini to studs instead of those darn German bolts.