Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Dizzy flash tune vs pro tune

Stkid93

Premium Account
So after reading about dizzys flash tune I was concerned because I have never heard of a tuner making a flash tune before (besides Cobb) and I have never run one ( besides Cobb). He did say he put a ton of seat time into the car.

I was still confused because if the tune he gave everyone was exactly the same, Wouldn’t that make everyone’s power almost exactly the same. Obviously there would be some small differences based on mods and mileage and elevation and such. But for the most part. 2 cars with similar mods and mileage would be almost identical. So I was fully expecting my car to be pretty much identical to every other stock turbo tuned fist. And my car hits 17.5 degrees of timing on the top end which is mbt for stock turbo fists according to Jason. So how is every car able to hit 17.5 degrees with very little variation?

At least with a pro tune there is usually small differences in timing and boost and cam timing and stuff based on mods. But a flash tune would be the exact same tune on every car. Meaning it wouldn’t really be maximized for the car at all.

But that doesn’t seem to be the case somehow his tune is able To work with all sorts of different mods And the results between cars can varry a lot. Even with the same exact mods and similar mileage and such.

anyway his tunes seem to work very well, and I no longer feel the need to get a pro tune. I still don’t get exactly how it works. But it does

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Coming from the Speed world, which I think you do too, I have gotten the impression that this now 10 year old cpu and the tuners are much better at making off the shelf tunes than from the late 00's.

Dizzy's 7psi wastegate E40 tune is pretty much off the shelf. My final tune from Tune+ he told me not to bother with sending him logs, which I thought was weird, but I'm sure he's seen dozens upon dozens of similar cars it's cookie cutter for him. I think the only time a tuner really needs to dig into anyone's logs is if they're running a less than common setup, or they are troubleshooting an issue.

OP
Stkid93

Stkid93

Premium Account
Thread Starter #3
Yes my last car was a speed 3. I remember having to disconnect the SWAS To keep it from cutting power and I think you know what I’m talking about especially if you ran an e30 tune or big turbo. As my 93 tune wasn’t bothered by the swas but as soon as I went e30 it acted up. Which isn’t an issue on the fists thankfully. I guess that’s one of those issues they have fixed over the years.

what you said makes sense. I just always came from a world where you needed to tune with revisions to get the most out of the car and so it felt so weird when dizzy told me that he sends everyone a single map and that’s it. I was like isn’t there tons of room left on the table?

But the way he explained it to me is that going to revisions really doesn’t benefit the stock turbo at all, he was able to tween the tune over thousands of hours of seat time, that makes sense. But it doesn’t really explain how 1 universal tune can account for different mods and environments and such. Ingusss it has something to do with our cars being speed density?

I trird to buy a pro tune with revisions and he literally talked me out of it. So he must feel strongly about his flash tune

I think the computer would sort out differences in environment. It would refer to the tables and match to keep requests and actuals in line. I run APR canned tunes on my Audi's and they perform flawless in various conditions. Even compensate for a bad tank of gas, which happened to me before when traveling. Knock threshold was reach abnormally early and the bypass valve would open and limit boost, timing would get yanked, I believe it even lowers throttle angle. These newer computers are amazing coming from old school ODI-II platforms.

OP
Stkid93

Stkid93

Premium Account
Thread Starter #5
So this is how I imagine the ecu works, correct me if I’m wrong.

so when the ecu is tuned. The tuner goes okay, at 2.4 load, I’m requesting 320 ft lbs of torque in perfect conditions.

situation 1)
your driving along in the real world and the computer goes “ okay I’m at 2.4 load, they are asking for 320 ft lbs of torque. my octane adjust ratio is -1, I’m adding the full amount of timing, the charge air temp is 50 degrees… okay I’m happy. Here’s 320 ft lbs of torque.

situation 2)
Your driving along, your running 87 octane and it’s 100 degrees. The computer says “ okay I’m at 2.4 load, I know you want 320 ft lbs. but your fuel sucks, it’s hot as balls, and if I give you that much torque I’m going to blew up. Here’s 250 ft lbs. deal with it.

I know this examples are very over simplified and silly, but does this sound right?