Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Driver's side mirror (glass only) shake.

I've got a '14 FiST with this problem. In 14/15 there were numerous threads about this, but none of the ones I've read (all of them, I think), really offered a solution.

Anyone have any ideas?

This is the main mirror glass only, the housing and inset Blindspot mirror are solid. It is bad enough to border on a safety concern, and definetly makes quick identification of Crown Vics difficult ;)

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Ford did nothing for me.

There is a small plastic alignment pin that goes from the side mirror housing to the door - if it's broken they deny your claim for warranty replacement.

I purchased a used mirror and it shook, I took pieces from both mirrors to try and make the best of the two - yep, it still shakes.

I gave up.

OP
L
Thread Starter #3
This seems to be the experience most people had -- Ford was completely wrong-headed about this issue.

Where's the alignment pin?

Ford did nothing for me.

There is a small plastic alignment pin that goes from the side mirror housing to the door - if it's broken they deny your claim for warranty replacement.

I purchased a used mirror and it shook, I took pieces from both mirrors to try and make the best of the two - yep, it still shakes.

I gave up.

OP
L
Thread Starter #4
The wierd part is, catch me if I'm wrong, the blind spot glass and the main glass are attached to the same backing....

Something about how the main glass is attached maybe?

This seems to be the experience most people had -- Ford was completely wrong-headed about this issue.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club

It's a protruding plastic piece... I think it has a small bulb at the end that sticks through a hole in the body so the whole assembly lines up before the screws meet the metal (when assembling the vehicle).

I chucked out the pieces of the other mirror so I don't have one to take a picture of (besides the one on the car).

OP
L
Thread Starter #6
Tasca has the glass on the backing for $80, though not sure if that is heater or now. I'm tempted to order one....

FistSt215

Have the same issue too . My was actually knocked off and I tightened it back up and only the glass shakes . Before the whole mirror was wobbling . At idle and Cobb rmm and a/c equals like it would fall off lol

OP
L
Thread Starter #8
When you say tightened it down, you mean the bolt behind that rubber cork in the door?

Have the same issue too . My was actually knocked off and I tightened it back up and only the glass shakes . Before the whole mirror was wobbling . At idle and Cobb rmm and a/c equals like it would fall off lol

Intuit

3000 Post Club

Ford is likely just trying to avoid warrantying mirrors that have been damaged in fast food lanes and on narrow streets.

The wierd part is, catch me if I'm wrong, the blind spot glass and the main glass are attached to the same backing....

Something about how the main glass is attached maybe?
I thought my bs mirror stayed put while the main moved independently. Would have to go out and check to be 100% sure.

Does it stabilize when you power-adjust it to it's maximum range; left/right/up/down ?

OP
L
Thread Starter #11
Haven't tried that at speed, I'll do it on Sunday, I've got a long drive.

Pretty determined to fix this.

Ford is likely just trying to avoid warrantying mirrors that have been damaged in fast food lanes and on narrow streets.

I thought my bs mirror stayed put while the main moved independently. Would have to go out and check to be 100% sure.

Does it stabilize when you power-adjust it to it's maximum range; left/right/up/down ?

OP
L
Thread Starter #12
Bumping this in hopes someone has successfully fixed it.
[MENTION=5184]Intuit[/MENTION] -- Haven't check max adjustment stability yet -- 7 hour drive yesterday was all in sleet etc and I was just focused on safety : /

I've got a '14 FiST with this problem. In 14/15 there were numerous threads about this, but none of the ones I've read (all of them, I think), really offered a solution. Anyone have any ideas? This is the main mirror glass only, the housing and inset Blindspot mirror are solid. It is bad enough to border on a safety concern, and definetly makes quick identification of Crown Vics difficult ;)
I had this problem on one of my Fiestas (the ST) and solved it by using a thin, somewhat stiff but pliable piece of the "foam" similar to that found in camera cases. I trimmed it to fit under the mirror at a thickness that allowed the mirror to put moderate pressure on the foam at my desired viewing angle. (I'll post a pic when I get back home from my travels.)

OP
L
Thread Starter #14
Thanks for the post.

I was pondering this -- do you have heated mirrors? That's what has stopped me... Worried about foam melting.

I had this problem on one of my Fiestas (the ST) and solved it by inserting a thin, somewhat stiff but pliable piece of the "foam" similar to that found in camera cases. I trimed it to fit under the mirror at a thickness that allowed the mirror to put moderate pressure on the foam at my desired viewing angle. (I'll post a pic when I get back home from my travels.)

Thanks for the post. I was pondering this -- do you have heated mirrors? That's what has stopped me... Worried about foam melting.
I do not have heated mirrors. For reference purposes, see picture below.

The front piece is the approximate size and shape of the one I'm using. The back piece is representative of the thickness (1/4 inch plus). The foam density on the actual piece is also greater than those in the picture.

OP
L
Thread Starter #16
Thanks for the follow up.

Did you put it on the housing pointing "up" at the mirror and backing, or between the mirror and the backing?

I do not have heated mirrors. For reference purposes, see picture below.

The front piece is the approximate size and shape of the one I'm using. The back piece is representative of the thickness (1/4 inch plus). The foam density on the actual piece is also greater than those in the picture.

Thanks for the follow up. Did you put it on the housing pointing "up" at the mirror and backing, or between the mirror and the backing?
I placed the foam under the mirror based on my driving position/line of sight. I suppose you could also affix it with double-side tape to the inside top of mirror cap as well.