Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Driving with e30 on a 93 oct. tune -

So i have my e30 tune now and have it saved to my AP. In an hour or so im heading out to fill up my first e30 tank. Since the e85 station doesn't carry 93 oct, will it be an issue to fill up 3 gallons of e85, stay on my 93 tune and drive a couple blocks to the nearest 93 oct pump, then load the e30 tune? The Stratified email said ONLY use premium gas so i will do as they say unless you guys know first hand using 91 on e30 is ok? I thought i read if you use 91 you just have to put more e85 in to counter the lower octane but i want to be sure now that it's go time.

I could also fill up on 93 except for a few gallons and then go get the e85, then load the tune but Stratified also said to fill in the e85 first near empty, i assume to get it into the gas lines asap when the tune is active. Any ideas? If nothing i can pick up a 3 gallon can but i just want to know if there's an easier way.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
So i have my e30 tune now and have it saved to my AP. In an hour or so im heading out to fill up my first e30 tank. Since the e85 station doesn't carry 93 oct, will it be an issue to fill up 3 gallons of e85, stay on my 93 tune and drive a couple blocks to the nearest 93 oct pump, then load the e30 tune? The Stratified email said ONLY use premium gas so i will do as they say unless you guys know first hand using 91 on e30 is ok? I thought i read if you use 91 you just have to put more e85 in to counter the lower octane but i want to be sure now that it's go time.

I could also fill up on 93 except for a few gallons and then go get the e85, then load the tune but Stratified also said to fill in the e85 first near empty, i assume to get it into the gas lines asap when the tune is active. Any ideas? If nothing i can pick up a 3 gallon can but i just want to know if there's an easier way.

What octane does your e85 station carry?
AND
Did you get a gauge to test their e85 to see what the actual % is?

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Fill up with e85 and 91 at the same station. The ethanol gives you the octane boost that matters. After that stop making 5 threads about the same issue because you are ruining the forum. :):)
Yeah pretty much that, enthusiasm is nice but you are becoming a gross polluter.
A lot of this stuff is answered in older threads, too.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #5
Fill up with e85 and 91 at the same station. The ethanol gives you the octane boost that matters. After that stop making 5 threads about the same issue because you are ruining the forum. :):)
Im a contrarian by nature so i might make 2 or 3 more now that you told me not to lol. But just to let anybody know who's in the same boat, i got through to Stratified just now and they said 91 is considered "premium" by their standards and just fill up with the same ratio as i would 93.

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #6
What octane does your e85 station carry?
AND
Did you get a gauge to test their e85 to see what the actual % is?
Highest is 91 they have. I have my test bottle and will be testing it when i get there, then adjusting the quantities as needed based on % of ethanol. I just wanted to make sure 91 was ok, or go a different route.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Highest is 91 they have. I have my test bottle and will be testing it when i get there, then adjusting the quantities as needed based on % of ethanol. I just wanted to make sure 91 was ok, or go a different route.
91 is fine, the tune assumes e85@85%+91 octane - no benefit at all from going 93 octane.

Remember to monitor ignition corrections and stuff intead of power/torque when you first start. After you fill up with e30 you have to drive around a while before it's actually into your fuel rail, I believe there are posts here with more info and how many miles.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Im a contrarian by nature so i might make 2 or 3 more now that you told me not to lol. But just to let anybody know who's in the same boat, i got through to Stratified just now and they said 91 is considered "premium" by their standards and just fill up with the same ratio as i would 93.
If you do that you will start getting reported and get banned or at least flagged as muted/ignored. We usually are down with the enthusiasm when people first start but you need to learn to go with the vibe of the forum. One thread, *read the replies*, and at least try searching the forum before asking stuff. It'll go a long way, otherwise people will stop responding to your threads because they muted you - just FYI.

Not trying to come across as a dick - just a little fair warning that the vibe of this forum is such that you can tell people are starting to get a little annoyed with repetitive posts and our unread replies. Take your time, think things through, and create well thought out posts that are concise and to the point. A clear, concise post will get you a lot further than word-splats - quality > quantity

Last edited:
OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #9
91 is fine, the tune assumes e85@85%+91 octane - no benefit at all from going 93 octane.

Remember to monitor ignition corrections and stuff intead of power/torque when you first start. After you fill up with e30 you have to drive around a while before it's actually into your fuel rail, I believe there are posts here with more info and how many miles.
Actually i haven't had tq/hp up for at least a couple days. For my trip to the station and back just now i have corrections for 1 and 4, oil and charge temps, boost and AFR. No negative corrections, boost hit a peak of 26.47psi. I wanted to make sure everything was within spec of what Stratified sent me in my email. Im pretty sure i read a thread like you mention talking about driving for a while to get the fuel lines drained of the gas only.

I drove 2 or 3 miles and hit a wendy's drive through before i did any pedal pushing. I also did some wiggling side to side to slosh the gas a bit, however much that helped, just to mix it around if possible. By the time i gave it some gas there was an immediate difference, far bigger than from stock to the COBB tunes.

It feels like a different car really. One pull from a red light on a 55 road, i could hear chirping all through 2nd. On most smoother pavement it just broke loose for most of 2nd unless i let up. I also have to adjust my clutch timing as the gas pedal kicks in much sooner and i suspect it's holding higher rpms between shifts.

I also think Stratified altered the fuel map for the beginning of 1st, it seems from idle at a stop, i have to give it more gas not less, which i assume they did to make sure the extra tq doesn't just smoke the tires from a standstill. But then the rest of the gear is indeed more touchy, 2-6 too. All good though, i was getting used to it by the time i got home 10 mins later.

I love it, so much power as soon as you want it. It almost feels like a 70s muscle car with just monster low end tq. It feels like a completely different car in acceleration. I think my wife is quietly a skeptic, thinking what i've been buying won't make much difference. Im looking forward to throwing her back into the seat.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Both options are OK, but because it REALLY doesn't matter, just use 91, which is actually what is called for as a normal minimum, trust us, the ethanol more than makes up for the 2 points of octane that the stock turbo could ever use... Technically you could get a way with even 89, I just like the extra cleaners that are in premium, which is 91+, so you are fine!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Actually i haven't had tq/hp up for at least a couple days. For my trip to the station and back just now i have corrections for 1 and 4, oil and charge temps, boost and AFR. No negative corrections, boost hit a peak of 26.47psi. I wanted to make sure everything was within spec of what Stratified sent me in my email. Im pretty sure i read a thread like you mention talking about driving for a while to get the fuel lines drained of the gas only.

I drove 2 or 3 miles and hit a wendy's drive through before i did any pedal pushing. I also did some wiggling side to side to slosh the gas a bit, however much that helped, just to mix it around if possible. By the time i gave it some gas there was an immediate difference, far bigger than from stock to the COBB tunes.

It feels like a different car really. One pull from a red light on a 55 road, i could hear chirping all through 2nd. On most smoother pavement it just broke loose for most of 2nd unless i let up. I also have to adjust my clutch timing as the gas pedal kicks in much sooner and i suspect it's holding higher rpms between shifts.

I also think Stratified altered the fuel map for the beginning of 1st, it seems from idle at a stop, i have to give it more gas not less, which i assume they did to make sure the extra tq doesn't just smoke the tires from a standstill. But then the rest of the gear is indeed more touchy, 2-6 too. All good though, i was getting used to it by the time i got home 10 mins later.

I love it, so much power as soon as you want it. It almost feels like a 70s muscle car with just monster low end tq. It feels like a completely different car in acceleration. I think my wife is quietly a skeptic, thinking what i've been buying won't make much difference. Im looking forward to throwing her back into the seat.
No negative correction and no knock should be the norm when running properly on e30, 91 as your filler is MORE than fine. :)

OP
TalkToTheFiST
Thread Starter #12
Both options are OK, but because it REALLY doesn't matter, just use 91, which is actually what is called for as a normal minimum, trust us, the ethanol more than makes up for the 2 points of octane that the stock turbo could ever use... Technically you could get a way with even 89, I just like the extra cleaners that are in premium, which is 91+, so you are fine!
Yep even Stratified said 91 will work fine so no worries. They said just use "premium" which according to the guy on the phone, is 91/93. Saves me some hassle as both pumps are at the same terminal.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Yep even Stratified said 91 will work fine so no worries. They said just use "premium" which according to the guy on the phone, is 91/93. Saves me some hassle as both pumps are at the same terminal.
I actually have no choice, I *have* to drive about 3 blocks to another station, so between stops it's sucking in way out of spec gas, so I simply waiting until running a full 5 minutes *after* the mix is right to go anyway near full boost.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I actually have no choice, I *have* to drive about 3 blocks to another station, so between stops it's sucking in way out of spec gas, so I simply waiting until running a full 5 minutes *after* the mix is right to go anyway near full boost.
So you add gas first, then the corn juice? Or corn juice then dino juice?

Are you testing the ethanol first? Just wondering, I looked at my ethanol tester and at a pump and figured I'd wind up lighting myself on fire if I tried, so I just filled a 5gal gas can with e85, then tested, then added XX amount to my tank before adding 91.

Last edited:

danbfree

3000 Post Club
So you add gas first, then the corn juice? Or corn juice then dino juice?
Gas first, just so I don't get a too crazy high ethanol percentage, even for just a few blocks... At least with gasoline, when you are low on ethanol for a bit the engine just pulls back and you get some knock and and negative corrections if you try to step on it too early after finishing the mix. I also shake my car a bit after adding the ethanol even if it does mix together very quickly anyway.

I know this is an older posts, but I'm getting ready for the 2022 racing season and am doing fuel research. And would like to share/question my results on using E30 with a 93 octane tune. Last season my personal best runs on the 1/4 mile drag strip were 13.01 at 107 mph on 93 octane, while switching to mixed E30 (tested at 27% ethanol) dropped my ET to 12.61 at 112 mph. [IIRC, a calculated gain of 30+/- HP!??]

What I don't know is, the side effects of running mixed fuel, etc?

SrsBsns

Wow, that's a bigger gain than I would have expected. AFIK, there are no downsides to running E30 besides it being a little more obnoxious to fill up. The E30 helps the motor to run cooler than just running 91/93. Someone else can jump in if there's a downside that I don't know about.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
While running a 91 octane dizzy tune, I would occasionally throw a gallon to a gallon and a half of e85 in, and it really perked up after a couple miles. Felt good, and really kept the car feeling lively during hot summer months, even with a big front mount.

With my new adapt-x tune, I feel the difference a lot sooner, like, within 10 miles of adding e85, wheelspin even easier in second.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Hell, even on a factory stock tune, a couple of gallons of E85 to a full tank of 93 made a noticeable difference, back when there was an E85 station closer to me than 25 miles away.

O.A.R. function working as it should?? [dunno]