Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Engine turned off twice while driving

Hello friends

I hope I am posting the right area

I wanted to ask you guys for some help with my car. I was driving today and when I came to a stop (in neutral) my engine turned off. It did this twice. My RPM gauge went down to zero. I immediately went to AutoZone to get my battery checked out and they said it was good, as well as my alternator. I just bought this car maybe 8 months ago and it has about 46k miles on it. I always I put the highest octane fuel in it, and do a full oil change about every 2,000-3,000 miles.

I still have the warranty through the dealership I bought it from but the issue is I am about 4 hours away from home in college right now.

Does anyone have an idea why this might be happening?

Begin by getting an OBD2 reader and checking for codes.

How does the car stall, does it just shut itself off or does the idle sputter and die?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Oil change every 2-3000 miles is a waste. Start pushing that out to 5k. But use a Synthetic oil of your choice that is made for Direct injection to avoid LSPI. Check the battery connections First. Also is it an Aftermarket warranty or only for that Stealership you bought the car at?

OP
M
Thread Starter #4
When it shuts off it just turns off. Not like when you would normally stall out and the car jolts forward. Stealership warranty. everything is covered other than clutch replacement

Did you recently gas up? that's the "Something something" magnetiseST was talking about.

At 50K miles my car starting doing the same thing and it turned out to be the spark plugs.

That started happening a long time ago to my 2011 Fiesta and it ended up being the Mass Air Flow sensor which needed to be cleaned due to a K&N filter that I was using.

Check the evap canister for cracks/leaks. It is (stupidly) the lowest point on the car and is totally unprotected from road debris. I had mine get damaged last year and it caused the car to shut off at 70+ mph, but never threw any codes.

OP
M
Thread Starter #12
Sorry for the late reply. I do really appreciate all y'alls help and suggestions. I will get the evap system checked out as well as the spark plugs and the mass airflow system