Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Exhaust upgrade question

If you could only do one, which would you upgrade first: the downpipe or the exhaust system?

Thanks for the help.

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
From what I've read the stock system is good for around 250 to 300hp. So, I would do other upgrades, then do exhaust. If you just want more noise do a resonator delete.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Then just do the exhaust...Buy once ...cry once also* I roll a ceramic coated Thermal R&D..Bought mine slightly used off the forum here. Or support a Vendor and Get it from Whoosh. just remember you get what you pay for in exhaust. Good luck!

I definitely don't want more noise, but I wouldn't mind some better noise.
I had a resonator delete before going to a Thermal. It had a nice tone, no complaints if you are wanting just a little extra.

As Mike mentioned the stock system is pretty capable as is. Get what you like, it’s your money and what you have to live with. There’s plenty of YouTube videos of our cars with exhaust complications.

Since I’ve been down this road, my 2 cents. What kind of metal are they using, and is the size of the exhaust going to be what I want if I plan to go big setup.

I definitely don't want more noise, but I wouldn't mind some better noise.
In that case, I would stay with the stock pipe. If anything, later year cars seem to have a slightly more burbly rear muffler (part no. D2BZ-5A289-B rather than A). I ended up with one after my own aftermarket exhaust fiasco and it's a subtle but noticeable improvement over what I had initially on my 2014 (at least to my ears); maybe you can score one off someone for cheap.

I kind of wish I tried Borla's axelback muffler w/ stock resonator, but they're not getting made anymore.

Last edited:

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
In that case, I would stay with the stock pipe. If anything, later year cars seem to have a slightly more burbly rear muffler (part no. D2BZ-5A289-B rather than A). I ended up with one after my own aftermarket exhaust fiasco and it's a subtle but noticeable improvement over what I had initially on my 2014 (at least to my ears); maybe you can score one off someone for cheap.

I kind of wish I tried Borla's axelback muffler w/ stock resonator, but they're not getting made anymore.
That's good to know. I'm going to refer to this in my Mechanical Changes/Improvements Over the Years thread.

rallytaff

1000 Post Club
Premium Account

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I like my Thermal a lot tone wise. The stock exhaust was just too silent for me. If I had kept the sound symposer on maybe I would feel different. If you take off your sound symposer your car goes dead silent. As for performance upgrades neither exhaust or downpipe will yield anything but a change in tone something I do like. Yet that’s aesthetics, I have a upgraded turbo so I do feel the downpipe and exhaust might be a bit more beneficial though it’s true the stock x downpipe and exhaust are proven to flow over 300 hp.

Last edited:

ronmcdon

I have stock turbo w/ ST200 airbox (doesn't add anything I can notice). I also went with the Thermal and found it adds a nice subtle touch to the exhaust. Drone isn't entirely absent but it's very mild. Recently added a COBB downpipe w/ gesi cat. Exhaust tone is more aggressive now but drone still very subtle and manageable. On a longer 400ish mile drive did not add any fatigue. I actually very much dislike pops and burbles and am thankful there is very little of that.

Have heard FSWERKS is even more subtle than Thermal and iirc more affordable. I take my car into FSWERKS for a lot of work done. They are good people for sure with attention to detail and very much enthusiasts themselves.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Have heard FSWERKS is even more subtle than Thermal and iirc more affordable. I take my car into FSWERKS for a lot of work done. They are good people for sure with attention to detail and very much enthusiasts themselves.
Some of that has to do with it being a 2.5" system vs a 3" system. [thumb]