Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FIESTA ST LOSING TO EVERYTHING -_-

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The stock snail really starts to fall off at higher RPMs due to the power band being lower as said before. If you want a change....Get a Tune or Different turbo

jeff

2000 Post Club
Okay so i know the fiesta isnt meant to drag race or race in a straight line in general but... and hear me out ... i think after doing full boltons and running an e30 tune i should ATLEAST beat an accord ... my cousin just bought a brand new civic si 10th gen (1.5t) completely stock and i cant even begin to pull away from him ... HOW SWAY ?!?! i live in colorado so yes im a mile high but that means the cars im driving with are too so i dont get it ive seen people talk about hanging doors with v6's and smoking accords and wrx's but to me it sounds impossible im upgrading to whooshs hybrid turbo soon then getting it dyno tuned because at this point im convinced flash tunes just dont do the trick at 5000ft elevation... thoughts?
Much of what people say about how fast their car is is, in reality, total BS. I've heard a lot of people talk about how fast their Fiesta ST is and how they beat this or that car. People want to feel good about themselves so they say these things. But often they are not true and lend to misconceptions such as you have been living under.

Even with bolt-ons and an e30 tune a Fiesta ST is still a 0-60 in about 6.4 second car, and that's IF you get a perfect launch. Meanwhile those Accords V6s do it in 5.5 and the WRXs do it in 4.5. I hate to be the one to report this to you, but the Fiesta ST is only mediocre in a world where minivans hit 60 in under 7 seconds all day.

When people talk about how they "beat a Corvette" it's because the Corvette driver was moseying to the grocery store to get some pumpernickel bread and the Fiesta driver hammered it and considered that a race that he won.

No way is a stock 10th gen SI beating you. After having a FiST then having two 10th gen SI's, and coming back to the FiST - the Fiesta definitely feels faster to me.
This is the sort of thing I'm talking about. "No way" is your car that slow because the Fiesta ST "definitely feels faster".

A car might have more torque but that doesn't mean it's fast. For example, look at the vicious furious 1980 Trans Am Turbo, the ultimate lesson for us here today. 4.9 liter V8, 301.6 cubic inches, 210 HP and 345 TQ. Feels fast!!! Went 0-60 in 8 seconds. Slow.....

Hard facts:

Ford Fiesta ST, 0-60 6.9 seconds
Honda Civic Si, 0-60 6.3 seconds

Source: Car & Driver reviews, look them up.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Okay so i know the fiesta isnt meant to drag race or race in a straight line in general but... and hear me out ... i think after doing full boltons and running an e30 tune i should ATLEAST beat an accord ... my cousin just bought a brand new civic si 10th gen (1.5t) completely stock and i cant even begin to pull away from him ... HOW SWAY ?!?! i live in colorado so yes im a mile high but that means the cars im driving with are too so i dont get it ive seen people talk about hanging doors with v6's and smoking accords and wrx's but to me it sounds impossible im upgrading to whooshs hybrid turbo soon then getting it dyno tuned because at this point im convinced flash tunes just dont do the trick at 5000ft elevation... thoughts?
According to road tests online the 2019 Civic Si does 6.8 sec 0-60 and over 15 sec. in the 1/4. My 2016 Mountune MP-215 will out run it and that is the only engine mod, I would think a stock one would also be very close. If you want straight line acceleration the best bargain out there is a base Mustang GT. If you want the challenge of trying to make the FiST a true drag car or street racer you will spend as much and I suspect have a car hard to drive on the streets and not very reliable. If you have done all those mods and can't beat a stock Civic Si you may need to get your car to a competent speed shop to see what is wrong, the other cars are breathing the same air as your FiST.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
i would go BT but our fuel system maxes out at around 300hp and i dont wanna spend even more on aux fuel... as it is it seems everything ive done so far has been almost pointless lol
I think a hybrid filling in that upper HP is going to make all the difference, you don't need aux fuel. By going BT a/aux you are literally trading the character of the car to be a sleeper and that's fine for those who want to do that, but 300whp on a FiST with only a tiny bit slower spool is the perfect way to go for this size car and keep it frisky coming out of the corners, as it's intended.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Much of what people say about how fast their car is is, in reality, total BS. I've heard a lot of people talk about how fast their Fiesta ST is and how they beat this or that car. People want to feel good about themselves so they say these things. But often they are not true and lend to misconceptions such as you have been living under.

Even with bolt-ons and an e30 tune a Fiesta ST is still a 0-60 in about 6.4 second car, and that's IF you get a perfect launch. Meanwhile those Accords V6s do it in 5.5 and the WRXs do it in 4.5. I hate to be the one to report this to you, but the Fiesta ST is only mediocre in a world where minivans hit 60 in under 7 seconds all day.

When people talk about how they "beat a Corvette" it's because the Corvette driver was moseying to the grocery store to get some pumpernickel bread and the Fiesta driver hammered it and considered that a race that he won.

This is the sort of thing I'm talking about. "No way" is your car that slow because the Fiesta ST "definitely feels faster".

A car might have more torque but that doesn't mean it's fast. For example, look at the vicious furious 1980 Trans Am Turbo, the ultimate lesson for us here today. 4.9 liter V8, 301.6 cubic inches, 210 HP and 345 TQ. Feels fast!!! Went 0-60 in 8 seconds. Slow.....

Hard facts:

Sorry, but just crazy to compare 0-60 on a car with short gearing that take 2 shifts, but I managed to get a 6.4 with a 93 stage 1 tune raising the redline and with a shitty launch on my first try. The last time I checked races don't instantly end at 60 either... C'mon Jeff, it's just crazy talk to even compare 0-60 at all, it just doesn't apply on SO many levels.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
According to road tests online the 2019 Civic Si does 6.8 sec 0-60 and over 15 sec. in the 1/4. My 2016 Mountune MP-215 will out run it and that is the only engine mod, I would think a stock one would also be very close. If you want straight line acceleration the best bargain out there is a base Mustang GT. If you want the challenge of trying to make the FiST a true drag car or street racer you will spend as much and I suspect have a car hard to drive on the streets and not very reliable. If you have done all those mods and can't beat a stock Civic Si you may need to get your car to a competent speed shop to see what is wrong, the other cars are breathing the same air as your FiST.
Yes, now 1/4 miles is more appropriate to compare and a stock turbo FiST can do it in 14 on e30, which isn't bad, I wonder what happened to OP to lose to an SI...

jeff

2000 Post Club
Sorry, but just crazy to compare 0-60 on a car with short gearing that take 2 shifts, but I managed to get a 6.4 with a 93 stage 1 tune raising the redline and with a shitty launch on my first try. The last time I checked races don't instantly end at 60 either... C'mon Jeff, it's just crazy talk to even compare 0-60 at all, it just doesn't apply on SO many levels.
I wholeheartedly agree with you that’s why am saying that much of the thinking being discussed here is not logical.

Hard facts:

Dude I have OWNED BOTH cars - two Fiesta STs and two Civic SIs. They have the same power yet one is Both civics were exactly the same and neither one was faster than the ST in a straight line. I had the crappy all seasons so maybe C&D tested with the higher performance tires? The car had horrible traction issues in a straight line.

Go ahead and look at both of their reviews and tell me which one was faster 5-60. They both had the same time of 7.4 seconds. Why do both cars have the same rolling acceleration yet they claim one is faster to 60. (I hate C&D new website btw). The ST is also faster in their 'top gear' run in 30-50 and 50-70.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15089257/2017-ford-fiesta-st-instrumented-test-review/

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15091840/2017-honda-civic-si-coupe-test-review/

There I did the work for you. So from a launch maybe the civic had the upper hand with better tires, but I am telling you a stock SI slows down a lot when you are shifting through the gears. The turbo takes a while to spool back up on the next shift due to the clutch delay and the tuning of the motor stock, IIRC to save the clutch. The car cant really handle much more than stock power either. Everyone says its "how you drive" if you need a clutch or not after a tune on that car. Im not shitting on either car - the Civic is a much nicer car inside and from my own experience the Fiesta feels a lot more punchier and responsive to throttle inputs compared to the SI - it just takes a minute to get the turbo going (yeah its a small turbo and I wouldnt call it turbo lag but I would have to say the ecu is making it lag...its a very weird feeling and the power delivery is very linear like a GTI, it just feels boringly quick).

0-60 should be retired as a way to benchmark cars.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Dude I have OWNED BOTH cars - two Fiesta STs and two Civic SIs. They have the same power yet one is Both civics were exactly the same and neither one was faster than the ST in a straight line. I had the crappy all seasons so maybe C&D tested with the higher performance tires? The car had horrible traction issues in a straight line.

Go ahead and look at both of their reviews and tell me which one was faster 5-60. They both had the same time of 7.4 seconds. Why do both cars have the same rolling acceleration yet they claim one is faster to 60. (I hate C&D new website btw). The ST is also faster in their 'top gear' run in 30-50 and 50-70.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15089257/2017-ford-fiesta-st-instrumented-test-review/

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15091840/2017-honda-civic-si-coupe-test-review/

There I did the work for you. So from a launch maybe the civic had the upper hand with better tires, but I am telling you a stock SI slows down a lot when you are shifting through the gears. The turbo takes a while to spool back up on the next shift due to the clutch delay and the tuning of the motor stock, IIRC to save the clutch. The car cant really handle much more than stock power either. Everyone says its "how you drive" if you need a clutch or not after a tune on that car. Im not shitting on either car - the Civic is a much nicer car inside and from my own experience the Fiesta feels a lot more punchier and responsive to throttle inputs compared to the SI - it just takes a minute to get the turbo going (yeah its a small turbo and I wouldnt call it turbo lag but I would have to say the ecu is making it lag...its a very weird feeling and the power delivery is very linear like a GTI, it just feels boringly quick).
Good stuff.

Like I said feeling and butt dyno do not translate to actual speed, that’s the point I’m trying to make here.

I agree the new Civics are quite nice .

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Good stuff.

Like I said feeling and butt dyno do not translate to actual speed, that’s the point I’m trying to make here.

I agree the new Civics are quite nice .
Ok, fair enough, I was just saying that no one had brought up 0-60 except you man, lol.. I know you know your stuff, I was just kind of surprised you brought that into the convo. :)

I’m not surprised by either. The Si has the LSD to help put the power down. The Honda 3.5 V6 is one of the smoothest most powerful V6s on the market and it has horsepower where we do not. Until I go at least hybrid turbo I’m not worried about “pulling” on anyone. The car is fantastic at slicing through traffic with the combo of torque, quick steering, and light weight. 20-70mph the FiST is no laughing stock. When the road opens up drop into 6th and chill back because that’s not where this car shines. Find some canyons and practice the driver mod. Then you’ll start to understand what a special little car this truly is.

Interesting thread.

I'm not really sure what to say. I've had a lot of cars over the years some fast, some slow. I've turned a wrench on plenty of those cars as well. But I gotta say my currently set-up on this FiST has been such a freaking grin. People love it and if you get a solid roll I'm hanging with cars way out of this cars league. People thumbs up me all the time!

I might need to look into an AUX fuel e30-tune next year to keep the grins going. Maybe I just got lucky with my set-up and tune, maybe my tires are giving me +30hp (lol), maybe I have just been driving a stick for 23 years, but I literally do not see this car nor myself getting hurt feelings from an accord. On a roll that is. We all know the 0-60 on this car even when modded/tuned isn't anything to write home about.

It's all about whipping through those turns or dropping gears and choking the shit out of that turbo's neck while the exhaust screams as you go under an overpass and let the world enjoy the sweet sweet sounds of the Cricket!

I think the TC is just trolling tbh.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Unfortunately for some 0-60 and the 1/4 mile have been used as benchmarks forever and cannot be wished away just because 0-60 does not favor our FiST's gearing. 3rd gear has always been the FiST's sweet spot. I have never dropped the clutch on my '16 Mountune and never will, but walked lots of cars in 3rd gear. I use it carving mountain roads (TOTD) or cruising around the USA getting 38 mpg on the interstate. The two shining stars in my book for this car. If I want acceleration and lack of Mpg we have a Mustang Coyote for that. But the Coyote can't keep up with the FiST on the Tail Of The Dragon and quickly disappears leaving me behind on the interstate. Given enough money any car can be built to do anything, or you can buy a car already built to do it.

Zormecteon

https://www.zeroto60times.com/ give 2019 Civic SI times as 0-60 6.7, 1/4 mile 15 flat.
It also give the 2105 FiST as 6.6 and 15 flat while the 2017 FiST as 6.9 and 15.1

So with no mods a with 2014 its al up to the drivers while a 2017 just doens't quite have enough.

As an aside I didn't know they'd cut the performance as the years went by.

My 2¢

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
There is too many variables to say that the power isn't the same being put to the ground....Driver....road surface....Temperature outside....birds flying by....elevation.....A dinosaur walked there 10k years ago.....Etc.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
  1. It's entirely possible it's the driver losing the race and not the car. Not what people want to hear, but it is what it is. Not everyone is a proficient driver.
  2. Just because you have the mods doesn't mean your car is in proper running order. You can have all the ingredients, but that doesn't mean a great souffle is just going to happen. The magic is in the prep.
  3. The FiST is not a fast car. Knowing you are slower than a stock Camry v6 and some minivans might be uncomfortable but you'll live.
  4. Racing on public roads is for children. If someone gets hurt you can go to prison.
  5. You set your own metrics for success. I wouldn't judge the quality of a scalpel by it's ability to chop down a tree. Don't judge your FiST by it's ability to do something it wasn't intended to do - you sacrifice a lot of 0-60 because of the transmission alone. Once tuned, first and second gears are very iffy traction-wise. The FiST party starts in third gear.
  6. If you want a light fwd car that is fast in a straight line, find an older SRT4 and be done with it.
  7. The civic could've been running a hondata tune. Absurd amounts of power to be found there. People falsely claiming their car is stock has been going on for as long as racing has.
  8. You'll get faster as you gain experience. As your original post is one long sentence, I am gathering that you are young. Driving is a skill, and like any skill you improve through repetition. Go to a drag strip and safely learn to launch your car. If you are dumping the clutch and spinning through first, you are doing it wrong. If you are launching at idle, you are doing it wrong. It will take time to hone. This sort of behavior is abusive to your car, and you will probably wind up breaking things.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I agree with @TyphoonFiST, elevation is robbing you more than you may realize. You can have the all the bolt ons and parts in the world, but if you’re not feeding enough oxygen you’re not gonna see great results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolutely true, but the 1.5T 'duhs will also suffer the same fate and they are 'beating him', according to Eddie. [dunno]

Ford Community Posts