Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Finally drove the pants off the ST

iso100

1000 Post Club
I'm a new owner and just about clocked 220 miles today. I've been trying to follow the break in procedures to the T (vary engine speed and load) so far but today I just couldn't help myself on a particularly fun stretch of twisty road.

I really pushed the car and the handling and braking really blew me away! I went down the road and turned around to come back. About 5 minutes later I arrived home and was a bit alarmed to smell the brake pads.

Apparently the torque vectoring really does put a lot of load into the rear braking system. My driver's side rear wheel was actually hot to the touch.

I hope I didn't do any harm wringing it out this early but I just couldn't wait any longer to see what this little beast could do. Anyone think I'm nuts and either damaged the engine or braking system by flogging it too soon?

BlueFiST.jpg

XuperXero

Anyone think I'm nuts and either damaged the engine or braking system by flogging it too soon?

View attachment 871
Damage no, but reduced reliability, fuel mileage and maximum power is a possibility... But your car won't die. Congrats on the new purchase. I haven't regretted my decision either.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Thanks. Hoping only 3 minutes of flogging didn't do anything measurable.

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
You'll be fine..if cars were that fragile we would all be in deep doodoo.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
Thanks guys. This makes me feel better.

Has anyone else noticed the increased thermal load in the rear braking system due to the torque vectoring?

XuperXero

Thanks guys. This makes me feel better.

Has anyone else noticed the increased thermal load in the rear braking system due to the torque vectoring?
I thought the torque vectoring only braked the front wheels?

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
Perhaps I'm using the wrong term. It must be the dynamic stability control that reduces understeer I'm talking about. I had it in Sport mode.

Future tip: Drive around normally or even slower than normal for a few minutes after spirited driving/racing/whatever you want to call it. It will help preserve the life of your turbo and many other components which are subject to heat stress.

As for this once incident, you are fine.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
Oh, I didn't shut it down hot... That's for sure. It was at least 10 minutes home. I have a 300whp Merkur XR4Ti and have had 1.8t and 2.0t VWs before this car. It was alarming how hot the rear brakes were though even after 10 minutes of easy driving. I should have shut off stability control completely.

In sport mode the car purposely adds more / less pressure to the rear breaks depending on turn in to make our ST over steer. Its pretty awesome because it ruduces under steer and helps the car move as fast as possible in a turn.
One of the best features for road racing n autoX.

OP
I

iso100

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
I believe it's actually active and brakes individual wheels as needed to put the car into the proper slip angle. It really does heat up the wheels though. Mine were so hot it hurt to touch.

Last night I drove the same road again but had ESC completely off. No heat in rear pads/wheels at all.

Colin1337

1000 Post Club
The brakes on the car get damn hot, just go cruise around town and put your hand near your front wheel afterwards.
Glad you had fun though

The torque vectoring is the inside front brake, not the rear brakes. If it was the rear brakes, that would increase understeer. You should be fine after that short of a drive. Congrats on the car. You got the right color