Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Flywheel Question

I am getting parts all together to have my clutch replaced. My current garage told me today I can't get the flywheel resurfaced. True? Ok to reuse my current flywheel or do I need to purchase a new one?
Thanks!

Dialcaliper

The OEM dual mass flywheel is too thin to be resurfaced. Either reuse it or just replace it. It’s usually okay to reuse, but have them
inspect it just in case, which is the only way to tell.

Has your clutch been slipping, and for how long? Generally flywheel damage is most likely when the clutch either starts slipping (due to the friction material wearing off which results in lower clamping load) and is left like that for a long time, or gets overheated and glazed by overuse (ie lots of time on the clutch in stop and go traffic or hill starts)

If the current one is in good condition, you can always return or resell a new or used flywheel.

OP
CarFan1979
Thread Starter #3
The OEM dual mass flywheel is too thin to be resurfaced. Either reuse it or just replace it. It’s usually okay to reuse, but have them
inspect it just in case, which is the only way to tell.

Has your clutch been slipping, and for how long? Generally flywheel damage is most likely when the clutch either starts slipping (due to the friction material wearing off which results in lower clamping load) and is left like that for a long time, or gets overheated and glazed by overuse (ie lots of time on the clutch in stop and go traffic or hill starts)

If the current one is in good condition, you can always return or resell a new or used flywheel.

Can you tell if my current one is ok??

Attachments

OP
CarFan1979
Thread Starter #5
At first glance that looks burnt up and in pretty bad shape - the dark ovals are heat marks where the flywheel got very hot (potentially red hot). Good odds that flywheel is toast - warped and not reusable. 🥺

Thank you!!!
Appreciate your help
I'm a new St owner

Dialcaliper

Thank you!!!
Appreciate your help
I'm a new St owner
Good rule of thumb is that the clutch surfaces are functionally very much like brake rotors/pads. If you saw a brake rotor looking like that, you’d probably replace it straight away.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

NOVA_Ranger

U.S. Army Veteran
Personally, I'd replace it with an OEM flywheel. I opted for a lighter flywheel when I did the clutch on my E36 M3 and I won't be doing that, on any of my vehicles, again.

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
They make single-mass flywheels that are the same weight as the dual-mass OEM. As long as you go with a sprung-clutch that is not race-spec, you should be OK.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
They make single-mass flywheels that are the same weight as the dual-mass OEM. As long as you go with a sprung-clutch that is not race-spec, you should be OK.
RTS Dual friction and Organic have the same weight of flywheel as Stock* [driving]