Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford begins building new Fiesta ST engine in Wales

Fiesta ST News

Staff Member

Engines for the acclaimed Ford Fiesta ST are now coming from Wales as production of the all-new motor begins at Ford’s Bridgend Engine Plant.

£100 million has been invested in the facility to build the new 1.5-litre three-cylinder Ecoboost petrol engine, in a project dubbed the Dragon engine programme.

The Welsh government has supported the investment and Ford says the resultant line is all-new, fully-flexible and “state-of-the-art”. Engines produced on it will also go into the new Ford Focus.

Ford adds the engine isn’t just built in Britain, but was also partly designed here. Engineers at the Ford Dunton Technical Centre worked with colleagues in Germany to create the new motor which, in the Fiesta ST, produces 200hp yet also averages 47.9mpg.

The news does, however, come in the same week Ford bosses temporarily closed the production line for Jaguar Land Rover engines. The former Ford-owned British brands still use V6 and V8 engines from the blue oval, and several shutdowns in its Midlands factories are having a knock-on effect with suppliers such as Ford.

The company will cease producing engines for Jaguar Land Rover entirely in September 2020.

While the new Ford Dragon engine is good news for Bridgend, BBC Wales’ Sarah Dickins says the new programme will only make a quarter of the engines Bridgend has been building up to now: it remains to be seen what will take the place of the JLR line when production ends – and what else Ford Bridgend, the largest employer in the region, can build.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
I think Jag said they were going full electric in a few years.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Well this is hope that when gas prices go up in The good ol' US of A there is a fallback when people don't wanna buy 60k trucks that get 18mpgs with the wind blowing at your back! I know its a pipe dream...but we can still dream right?[party]

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Well this is hope that when gas prices go up in The good ol' US of A there is a fallback when people don't wanna buy 60k trucks that get 18mpgs with the wind blowing at your back! I know its a pipe dream...but we can still dream right?[party]
We can dream for sure. I fully believe history repeats itself. When gas is $5 people are going to be begging for fuel efficient cars. I keep hearing the fuel mileage is better on new trucks and SUVs sorry barely getting 20 miles to the gallon tailgating a semi going downhill is not good.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
I'm not sure where you live but gas is not far off $5 guys.

Gas can get up to 4.30 as we speak. And even more in different cities

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
I filled up yesterday at Costco. 3.59/ gal. for 91 octane.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk