Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Car & Driver: 2014 Ford Focus ST Long-Term Logbook: Range Anxiety?

Fiesta ST News

Staff Member

"It's too bad that the least-efficient Focus doesn?t have a larger fuel tank for more range."

Can't decide between the regular Ford Focus and the hot ST version? Besides the ST's punchy 2.0-liter turbo four, tail-happy chassis tuning, and aggressive looks?all of which have continued to please in our long-term example?the hot hatch also sets itself apart in the fuel-efficiency department. The EPA?s combined estimate for the ST is 26 mpg, 4 mpg lower than its estimate for the non-ST Focus. This is hardly earth-shattering stuff, since a sporty car generally sucks more fuel, but we wish we could stretch more between fill-ups in our long-term ST, if only to keep the fun going longer.

Our ST is averaging a decent 26 mpg overall?spot-on the EPA's combined figure?but for associate online editor Stoklosa, the discrepancy in overall mileage is more pronounced given his frequent drives to and from his native Chicago. Stoklosa briefly owned a 2012 Focus hatchback, and could make it the 250 miles from Ann Arbor to the Windy City and some of the way back?about 400 miles total?before needing to fill up. In the ST, driven at C/D-typical speeds, he rolls into Chicago with about an eighth of a tank to spare. We?re sure that, driven like an octogenarian on downers, the ST could somewhat close that gap, but what?s the fun in that? On the bright side, the turbocharged hatch doesn?t require premium fuel.

Media Source: Car & Driver

iso100

1000 Post Club
Neither does the Fiesta ST. 87 is OK but I'd never fill it with that.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
This can be said the for the FiST as well, I was kind of surprised the first I filled up to see my range was under 400 miles.

Incidentally, I test drove a Focus ST yesterday. Can't comment on the range but the range display on the test car was ridiculous. I drove around 10 km (Canada - metric system - go figure) and the projected range dropped from 150 to 90 km. Agreed, I was being a douche on the throttle but the same treatment to the Fiesta never shows that big a change. I hated the gear shifter of Focus though - the throw just isn't direct enough.