Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fords New EcoBoost V6

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Nope, I'd bet good coin that the bean counters had a lot of input on iron vs. aluminum
Well here is interesting piece of info. The plasma bores was orignally developed by Ford. Nissan leased it from Ford for the GTR lol.

airjor13

2000 Post Club
Call me crazy but I am still in shock from Nikasil fiasco of the 90's lol, went through like 4 V8 short blocks LOL.. Not a fan of plasma liners, give me old fashion iron liners

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
The iron block is not that old school normal ole iron. Its state of the art, the block is almost as light as alum and its as strong as an iron block. Its the first non-diesel application of this type of block that I know of.

I think they also used this type of casting on the upper cylinders of the 2.3L ecoboost to add strength without much weight, but don't hold me to that.

The 2.7L is a bad M-Fer. It will be really crazy if, later on, they move that tech to the 3.5L !!

None of that means it will be trouble free. But only time can answer that. The 6.7L seems to be kicking ass where the old 6.0L and 6.4L both had huge issues reported before I'd ever even seen the first one. The 6.7L diesel uses this type of cast iron block. Its crazy light for a diesel. Something about graphite casting or something.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Bad Ass in so many ways and the description is spot on, a bit hard to be innovative and work in the regs and current styling trend.

I bought a new Tundra LTD, 5.7, silver, brown leather, in 07 as an interim step to the "soon to be released" diesel version or maybe 3/4 or even 1 ton....still waiting....I am on my 3rd Duramax since because they had a real transmission and engine when it comes to serious towing.

It seems the new Ford Diesel HD engine is doing quite well, have not heard much on the trans, they just need to get a bit more cohesive on the styling inside and out and I have driven them all doing by best to limit brand bias.

me32

1000 Post Club
Well here is interesting piece of info. The plasma bores was orignally developed by Ford. Nissan leased it from Ford for the GTR lol.
that doesn't change the fact that Aluminum blocks cost more than the new iron blocks to make.

OP
Sekred

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #68
More Info,

From the May 2014 Issue of Car and Driver

At this year?s Detroit auto show, Ford?s F-150 nabbed headlines with its courageous move from steel to aluminum for the entire cab and bed, potentially saving hundreds of pounds. Equally courageous, but less reported, is Ford?s choice of ma*teri*als for the 2015 F-150?s 2.7-liter twin-turbocharged ?Nano? V-6 engine: It has a cast-iron cylinder block.

Conventional wisdom says that iron is too heavy for modern cars and trucks. Ford?s first manufacturing genius, Charles ?Cast-Iron Charlie? Sorensen, earned his nickname by integrating the Model T?s major engine and transmission components into just a few castings. But during the past two decades, engineers have systematically switched blocks and heads from iron to aluminum to save weight.

So why the seemingly retrograde move to an iron block for the F-150?s 2.7-liter V-6, especially when this truck?s three optional engines all have aluminum blocks and heads? Because iron makes the most sense from an engineering perspective, and the most cents for the Ford Motor Company.

In the 1950s, metallurgists began developing cast iron vastly superior to the Model T stuff. All cast iron is a mix of iron and graphite (carbon) with smidgens of other elements to fine-tune its physical properties. Basic gray iron is great for frying pans. Stronger malleable iron makes excellent crankshafts. Nodular iron has higher tensile strength and hardness, ideal for gears and camshafts. The best stuff is compacted graphite iron (CGI), which falls between gray and nodular iron in strength and stiffness while providing greater resistance to fatigue cracks.

Ecoboost 2.7 1.jpg

Under the gaze of an electron microscope, the graphite clusters in CGI look like coral tentacles. These entangled curlicues grip the surrounding iron matrix, in contrast to gray iron?s thin flakes and nodular iron?s spherical clumps. CGI also excels in thermal conductivity and internal-damping characteristics. The intrinsic damping helps minimize engine noise and vibration.

When European high-speed trains suffered brake-rotor heat-checking and cracking, CGI saved the day. It?s the material of choice for exhaust manifolds, turbocharger housings, and flywheels. Hardworking turbo-diesel engines and NASCAR racers have had CGI blocks for years.

Since iron is three times denser than aluminum, the F-150?s engine block is in*evi*tably heavier than if it were cast from recycled beer cans, but there are offsets to consider. Since CGI is stronger and tougher, block walls can be thinner and main bearing saddles narrower, trimming overall engine length and weight. Engineers cleverly designed what Ford calls a two-piece block with the iron sandwiched between aluminum heads and a thick die-cast-aluminum ?ladder frame.? The oil pan is molded plastic. No cylinder liners or expensive bore-surface treatments are needed inside the strong CGI, a significant cost savings.

Because Ford is using CGI, its new V-6 is tougher, more *compact, and less expensive than the all-aluminum alternative. In other words, this is an excellent way to counterbalance the extra cost of the F-150?s aluminum cab and bed. Cast-Iron Charlie would *definitely approve.

http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...age-iron-in-its-aluminum-intensive-2015-f-150