Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Front Diff locked!!?

KCfiestaST

Hi guys I have an ST that feels like it has a welded diff up front. Both Wheels spin forward when I jack the car up and when I take tight turns the suspension and axles bind like crazy. The car was in an accident and has a new driver side CV shaft and various other parts. There is no clunking and the transmission shifts fine and the fluid is fine. I am at a loss for what the problem could be. Are my spider gears somehow locking up? Is there something broken? Or could this be an easy fix? I am trying to figure out a solution without pulling the differential.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
did you buy the car after the repairs from the accident? Or have you owned it the entire time, including the accident and the repairs? if the latter, I would take it back to the shop and have them deal with it. It definitely sounds like the differential is locked up. I am not familiar with the internals of our transaxle but something has failed. The plus side of all this is that now you have an excuse to install an LSD.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
K

KCfiestaST

Thread Starter #3
I need someone who is familiar with the internals that can possibly provide some insight into what is happening here. I do all the work on my car. No shops have touched it. Not wanting to pull the diff if i dont have to but at this point might have to in order to fix it. I am fine with the regular open diff. Just not a locked diff. It sucks on fwd. These cars dont have torque steer that bad because of the torque vectoring system. Could the torque vectoring system have anything to do with it?

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hi guys I have an ST that feels like it has a welded diff up front. Both Wheels spin forward when I jack the car up and when I take tight turns the suspension and axles bind like crazy. The car was in an accident and has a new driver side CV shaft and various other parts. There is no clunking and the transmission shifts fine and the fluid is fine. I am at a loss for what the problem could be. Are my spider gears somehow locking up? Is there something broken? Or could this be an easy fix? I am trying to figure out a solution without pulling the differential.
I think you need to take the time to explain to us exactly what was damaged in the accident and what was replaced. If you did all the work yourself, this should be very easy. I assume this issue did not present itself prior to the accident? If that is the case, it is likely something that was damaged or that you touched upon repair. Help us help you.

I also doubt that the electronic torque vectoring system is causing this.

OP
K

KCfiestaST

Thread Starter #5
Cv axle was replaced. Control arm and strut. Trans seems fine. All seemed fine upon installation. Any trans guys here?

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Considering all those parts were replaced then I am guessing it was some kind of side impact which may have damaged the transmission/differential.
With the front wheels off the ground and the trans in neutral, try turning one front wheel whiling holding the other stationery. It should turn smoothly without binding (non LSD).
Now put the trans in gear and turn one front wheel again, the opposite wheel should spin backwards freely without binding. Doing these two things will spin the sun gears and planet gears inside the differential.

dmb

Too long an axle will give a bind measure twice you could have the wrong part, if all else fails give the flange on the other side a good walloup with a BAH and a piece of wood. zero will bind .008 won't. good luck