Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Funkster's Fiesta Fiasco

This top post will also serve as an overview for the current state of the car and an index of modifications.

The Fiesta was originally purchased as a fun daily driver, but I will now be gearing it towards a more motorsports dedicated build and picking up either a new Explorer or Ranger as my daily. The plan will be to get as many race miles on the car as I can and truly enjoy the cars more performance oriented nature. I plan to participate in Autocross, Rallycross, Road Course and maybe the occasional drag strip trip.

Here is the car when I bought it. (11/15/2020)

How the car currently sits:

Engine Modifications:
Cobb AccessPort
Dizzy Tune
RAMAIR Panel Filter
RAMAIR Induction Hose
Symposer Delete
NGK LTR7IX-11 Spark Plugs

Driveline Modifications:
Whoosh Short Shift Adapter
Whoosh Aluminum Shifter Base Bushings
Whoosh Aluminum Shift Arm Bushings
Powerflex Driver and Passenger Motor Mount Inserts
Vibra-Technics "Fast Road" Rear Motor Mount
BG SynchroShift II

Interior Modifications:
Ford Carbon Fiber Shift Knob

Wheels & Tires:
15"x7" Sparco Terra (Light Grey)
195/55R15 Continental VikingContact7

Last edited:
OP
Funkster
Thread Starter #2
Been meaning to start a thread for a while, but just now getting around to it. So there will be a few things to catch up on.

Before we get into the details here are some basics:

2016 Ford Fiesta ST
Purchased: 11/15/2020
Color: Magnetic
Miles: 60,047

When purchased it was stock except for a muffler delete the previous owner had done.This is the night I brought it home:

OP
Funkster
Thread Starter #3
The first round of modifications was driveline focused. Powerflex motor mount inserts were installed with Whoosh Motorsports Shift adapter, aluminum shift arm and shifter base bushings. I also drained the transmission fluid and replaced it with two quarts of SynchroShift. I topped it off with a Carbon Shift knob. The shift movement was noticeably shorter and the whole assembly felt more connected. The fluid operated better in the extreme cold we had this winter and felt like it removed some of the gritty feeling from the shift movements.

OP
Funkster
Thread Starter #5
The next big upgrade was a new set of wheels and tires. I wanted a more comfortable ride and good grip for the midwest winters. I picked up a set of Sparco Terra wheels in 15x7 and wrapped them in 195/55R15 Continental VikingContact 7s. The ride was much improved and even in several inches of snow has no issues with grip. Basically just have to watch the front bumper in the deep stuff now.

Night I put them on:

OP
Funkster
Thread Starter #6
Have done a couple oil changes since purchasing the car and in the last one I also went ahead and swapped plugs. I moved to the one step colder NGK LTR7IX plugs. Factory ones werent the worst I have seen, but they definitely were ready for a change.

OP
Funkster
Thread Starter #7
Had some down time at work so I bent up a smaller battery box for the battery upgrade I will be doing here soon. It looks a little closer to the Mele box than I was hoping it to, but I made some changes that I prefer such as the reinforcements, attachment points and a couple other small details. I will be finishing it with a textured black powder coat.

OP
Funkster
Thread Starter #8
I didn't get any pictures of the newest round of modications, but I do have a couple pictures of the Fiesta all dirty to add to the post. :p

Put on a Vibra-Technics rear motor mount in their "Fast Road" compound. Also put on the RAMAIR induction hose and the OEM EVAP Fix. I installed a Cobb AccessPort and flashed the OTS Stage 1. I have purchased a tune from Dizzy today and am looking forward to working with him.

I didn't get any pictures of the newest round of modications, but I do have a couple pictures of the Fiesta all dirty to add to the post. :p

Put on a Vibra-Technics rear motor mount in their "Fast Road" compound. Also put on the RAMAIR induction hose and the OEM EVAP Fix. I installed a Cobb AccessPort and flashed the OTS Stage 1. I have purchased a tune from Dizzy today and am looking forward to working with him.

Dig the wheels...just can't decide on black or gray (the gray looks great!). White is out for a magnetic...for me anyway.

OP
Funkster
Thread Starter #10
Dig the wheels...just can't decide on black or gray (the gray looks great!). White is out for a magnetic...for me anyway.
Thanks! They both look good on Magnetic. If I don't pick up a set of TD 1.2s for my track wheels I will be going with another set of Terras in black for that. Well...unless I decide to ball out and get Ultraleggeras haha.

OP
Funkster
Thread Starter #11
Ordered a few more parts this past weekend. They will be here Wednesday and Thursday according to tracking.

Nothing too exciting tonight. Got a chance to pull the dealer vinyl off. I should have done it a while ago, but two of the letters came off when I washed the car the first time and the fact that is said "STEER" made me laugh for some reason.

Also put on my plates that I finally got three months after purchase. COVID really slowed down that process.

Before:

After: (Stickers removed, wipe down, clay bar and quick wax on hatch)

OP
Funkster
Thread Starter #12
First part of my latest order from Whoosh showed up today. Have some more coming tomorrow and the crossover pipe should be here next week. Was pretty tired tonight after a 12 hour day so I just threw the filter in. The rest of the parts will probably get installed on Saturday.

OP
Funkster
Thread Starter #14
Did you get a RMM also?
The Vibra-Technics "Fast Road" RMM is already installed. I will be swapping that to the competition one at some point more than likely as well. For now I figured I would try this combo out.

OP
Funkster
Thread Starter #15
Another part of my order from Whoosh showed up today.

Powerflex Black Series Spring Pads, Swaybar bushings, rear beam to chassis bushings and a jack pad just for ease of mind.

I didn't order the control arm bushings just yet because I am trying to decide between modifying the factory arms with bushings and an extended ball joint or building a custom set with rod ends.

OP
Funkster
Thread Starter #16
Put the new engine mounts in last night. Was mostly drama free, so not a ton of pictures. I did try to get some data that may be useful to some though.

So I had the OEM mounts with the Powerflex inserts in the Driver and Passenger side. I also have the Vibra-Technics "Fast Road" rear mount already installed. Last night I installed the Vibra-Technics "Competition" Mounts.

Starting with the Passenger side mount I did find out why after a couple hundred miles my mounts started making noise again. The O-Ring and ziptie I put in to keep the insert secure had both broken and the insert was halfway out of the mount.

The new mount went in without much fuss.

Moving to the driver side the large Torx head bolt splines tore out when removing. I was able to get it out with a lot of effort, but didn't trust it to go back in. It was late and all the fastener supply places were closed. I lucked out and the ARP bolt I had put in the Passenger side OEM mount (That I would no longer need) happened to be the same pitch and very similar in length.

Torqued everything down and afterwards put it all back together.

Now for the data part. I know this is not very scientific, but everyone wants to know how much vibration mounts add and how tolerable they are. I used my phone with a vibration analysis app I often use for my work in HVAC to find vibration sources for isolation.

I placed the phone on the Driver and Passenger seating surface and logged vibrations for one minute on each side and with the OEM/Insert Setup as well as the Vibra-Technics mounts. These measurements were taken at idle after being warmed up.

The "g" measurement is the part you will want to observe. You can see at idle the vibrations in the most notable frequency range basically doubled compared to OEM mounts with inserts.

There is a very noticeable increase in vibration. In my car there is a very large resonance in the 1200 RPM range. Basically if you're in first gear and leave from a dead stop for the split second you are at 1,200-1,300 RPM the entire dash, door panels and trims all rattle. The idle only tells part of the story. It does seem in the higher RPM the vibration becomes more tolerable, but it is apparent without a doubt.

The trade off is the car has ZERO wheel hop and while it may be in my mind the shifts feel better and more predictable.

So...my personal opinion is the trade off is worth it. HOWEVER, I come from the world of large cubic inch, turbo drag cars. I have daily driven solid engine mounted turbo cars with all rod end and solid mounted suspensions, no A/C, etc. I am probably FAR more tolerable of NVH than most would be. With the purpose this car is being built to serve I am happy with the modification.

In my honest opinion if the average person puts the "Competition" mounts in their car they will not like the increase in vibration. I can not speak to the "Fast Road" version, but they are much less firm in compound rating and should be much better for a mostly street duty car.

Last edited: