Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Gas spilling when fill up

ROCKYFiestta

mine dumps every time i let the pump fill itself to full, basically i just have to keep my hand on the pump and wait for the click and it doesnt dump anything that way. 2014model btw

Has anyone been able to solve the root cause of this issue? My car had an evap leak and the filler neck replaced, almost $2 grand later at the dealer and I still have this problem. Any information would be great.

What about this. I've tried filling the last few gallons VERY slowly - about as slow as the pump will go before shutoff. I end up will a good gallon more in the tank than normally. I did this once before a long trip and was freaking out that I went like 150 miles before the gas guage moved off full. I know I'm asking for it, but I've never had evap system oddities happen to me.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Mine will only puke out fuel IF the attendant, or I (in the past, NEVER now) tried to 'even off' the dollar amount after the first click off of the pump.
I even tell them to STOP after the first click now, since I have EXACT change for when I pay cash in Joyzee, which requires that ONLY the station attendant handles the pump nozzle.
I am ALWAYS out of the car for this, since they WILL try to get to the next buck on the display if one does not stop them. [mad]

My car will fill as normal, I can hear the tank is getting full, then the pump will click and 2 seconds later a half gallon of fuel comes spilling out. Its given much such anxiety when filling my tank. Hahah

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Fuel is a solvent and is *very* hard on protective coatings, paints; conducive to corrosion/rust. If it's spilling onto these parts, the problem needs to be licked or the long term consequences will crippling.

My prior car only did that after the fuel filler neck began to dry-rot and leak. There were also evap lines that connected at the top of the filler neck but they were fine. There were also evap lines on top of the tank that were dry-rotting. The fuel pump seal also leaked. This was all over the 20 year old mark though. Towards the end of its "useful" life (rust was threatening structural integrity) I would only fill it to half-a-tank and avoid these issues.

To avoid spill from the nozzle head during removal, I'd pull it out part way while tilting the nozzle downward, wait a second or two, then pull it the rest of the way while twisting and pointing the nozzle upward. If there's still any fuel left in the nozzle, at least it won't be spilling on the paint job.