Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Go Pro Mounting Location

Where do you guys like to mount your go-pros for track days? I'm debating moving mine to my helmet from my roof so I can start seeing my actions over the cars actions.

I usually have my Session on the right side of my helmet. It helps me see what I'm looking at when I go back and watch my laps. When I make a video, I'll combine the data trace to show throttle/RPM/speed so not seeing the gauges isn't an issue.

I've tried the sunroof to put the camera above and behind my helmet, but I want a longer mount to get it lower. Plus that position kind of blocks the view out of the center mirror.

I experimented with mounting it to the rear windshield once, but the wide-angle lens worked against me. It mostly showed the interior of the car and not where I was going. And it vibrated a lot.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

OP
Shikari
Thread Starter #3
I usually have my Session on the right side of my helmet. It helps me see what I'm looking at when I go back and watch my laps. When I make a video, I'll combine the data trace to show throttle/RPM/speed so not seeing the gauges isn't an issue.

I've tried the sunroof to put the camera above and behind my helmet, but I want a longer mount to get it lower. Plus that position kind of blocks the view out of the center mirror.

I experimented with mounting it to the rear windshield once, but the wide-angle lens worked against me. It mostly showed the interior of the car and not where I was going. And it vibrated a lot.

So would you consider mounting to your rear window... questionable?

All jokes aside, I think helmet would be great. Chin, forehead or side of helmet is for sure the question. What are you using to edit videos?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

So would you consider mounting to your rear window... questionable?

All jokes aside, I think helmet would be great. Chin, forehead or side of helmet is for sure the question. What are you using to edit videos?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Ha! It was a very questionable experiment. I do not recommend that position.

I use RaceRender to edit the videos. And when I say edit I'm only adding data from my AiM Solo and cutting down to a lap or three. Sometimes I replace the audio with something silly from YouTube's free music collection.

Last edited:

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
What the hell is that? It's awesome
I custom built it, out of a Pana-Vice camera mount, drilled it and added some U-bolts from a local hardware store.
Or you can use the Go Pro handle bar mount and a piece of tubing.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
I use that headrest mount. It sits a little low so you’ll need to raise the camera some. It’s a solid mount otherwise and worth the money.

no prob! It does jiggle a bit but my cameras all have stabilization so it’s a non-issue. Attach to the drivers seat and your weight decreases the vibes too.
I'll be using two of these one in my car, one of my father's car. Both cameras have Optical image stabilization, better than any digital stabilization I've seen. I haven't been able to make them vibrate yet, even on the plastic trim above my motorcycle tank while on a stem. So, I expect we'll be all good.

Thanks again.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I'll be using two of these one in my car, one of my father's car. Both cameras have Optical image stabilization, better than any digital stabilization I've seen. I haven't been able to make them vibrate yet, even on the plastic trim above my motorcycle tank while on a stem. So, I expect we'll be all good.

Thanks again.
if you attach to the passenger seat it gets forward-back motion that the ois usually can’t handle, just FYI. If you add ballast (a person lol) it’s fine. Works a lot better on the drivers side. Haven’t tested on back seat yet, the phone app for the cam stopped working after an update and I don’t want to go to the trunk to start and stop recording. Voice activation of the cameras slightly unreliable and I look crazy yelling at my car lol

if you attach to the passenger seat it gets forward-back motion that the ois usually can’t handle, just FYI. If you add ballast (a person lol) it’s fine. Works a lot better on the drivers side. Haven’t tested on back seat yet, the phone app for the cam stopped working after an update and I don’t want to go to the trunk to start and stop recording. Voice activation of the cameras slightly unreliable and I look crazy yelling at my car lol
Thanks, I'll use on driver side.

kevinatfms

Im currently using mine on the passenger side and have had zero issues with image stabilization and this is with a cheap knock off go-pro. Was the seat that was vibrating broken?