Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Going with 16x7 wheels. 205/50 vs 205/45 vs 225/45

OP
SeanBonham
Thread Starter #21
I decided to go with 205/50 Sport Comp 2s. I don't want to lose turn in performance with going with the 225/45 series, although I do think it's looks better on stock suspension. I want to have turn in performance plus straight line, so 205/50 it is.
I think I am going to try the Z2II in 225/45. If you read through the post that I linked from the other forum. The guy has both the RE71R 205 and the Z2II 225 on the same 16x7 sparco wheel. They are the same width just with the 205 being a bit taller. I need to investigate more. If you check out the photos in the post it makes more sense that what I am saying.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I think I am going to try the Z2II in 225/45. If you read through the post that I linked from the other forum. The guy has both the RE71R 205 and the Z2II 225 on the same 16x7 sparco wheel. They are the same width just with the 205 being a bit taller. I need to investigate more. If you check out the photos in the post it makes more sense that what I am saying.
I saw the photos. It also comes down to price for me. The 225/45s I want are like $140 a piece and the Sport Comp 2s in the 205/50 and/or 205/45 are only $85 a piece.

Izzy

I have 205/50 BF Goodrich GForce Super Sports on my 16X7 and love them! Beefy yes, but they do not feel soft to me at all. I am also lowered on Eibach's
I run the Comp2's in 205/45/16 lowered on Mountune springs and I absolutely love em' especially in the rain.

Deli

Complete noob here, but really leaning towards the 205/50 comp 2's as it's a great price and would fit my needs. With that size, how much different is it compared to stock tire and how much would it throw off the speedometer? Please don't hate my ignorance. It's basically why I signed up for this forum.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I have 205/50 BF Goodrich GForce Super Sports on my 16X7 and love them! Beefy yes, but they do not feel soft to me at all. I am also lowered on Eibach's
You have any photos? I won't be lowered but it will still give me an idea of the look mine will have.

Waterfan

Complete noob here, but really leaning towards the 205/50 comp 2's as it's a great price and would fit my needs. With that size, how much different is it compared to stock tire and how much would it throw off the speedometer? Please don't hate my ignorance. It's basically why I signed up for this forum.
Quick and dirty speedo comparison link.

Better way, lookup new tire diameter and compare to stock diameter (23.4"). 205/50-16 BFG SC2 are 24.1" (tirerack.com)

(24.1 - 23.4)/23.4 = 3% taller, i.e. speedo will read 3% lower than actual (reads 58 mph when actually going 60).

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Well changed my mind again, and went with the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW in 225/45/16. I asked 2 people on here who are running this size, along with one that's running those exact tires, and they said they're great for canyon runs and daily driving but wouldn't recommend them for the track. I won't be hitting the track or autocrossing anyway so I got the look I was looking for the price of the 205/50 Sport Comps I was looking at. I'm happy. Just need spring to come now...

Found them for a good price, if you ask me, on Ebay. Lot of 4 for $400 shipped.

Here's the link if anybody else is interested. There's only 1 lot left. There was 6 or 7 at the end of the last week so they're going fast.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-New-225-45-16-BFGoodrich-g-Force-T-A-KDW-Tires-/401059189765?fits=Section+Width%3A225%7CAspect+Ratio%3A45%7CRim+Diameter%3A16&hash=item5d60fd9405:g:pGkAAOSwUdlWeEM3&vxp=mtr

OP
SeanBonham
Thread Starter #30
Ohhh! Thanks for that link. Now I just need my tax return to show up. You and I might end up with the same wheel / tire setup.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Ohhh! Thanks for that link. Now I just need my tax return to show up. You and I might end up with the same wheel / tire setup.
Nothing wrong with that. It's a sweet set up, but jump on that if you can. They seem to going fast. The same seller has them in a set of 2 too for $200 bucks.

OP
SeanBonham
Thread Starter #32
Nothing wrong with that. It's a sweet set up, but jump on that if you can. They seem to going fast. The same seller has them in a set of 2 too for $200 bucks.
Kip, can you post a photo of you car with the current 15" setup? You have sport comp-2's 195/55/15 right? You think they are too narrow for the car?

I just installed a set of the Sport Edition P5s with BFG Comp-2 A/S 205/50-16s, in preparation or moving up to PA. Ride is noticeably improved over the stock setup, bumps are soaked up by the larger sidewall and the car feels less twitchy. On the 7.5" wide rims the 205s mount up fairly square, and look much beefier than stock. The 42mm offset plus extra width puts them much more flush to the fender.

Overall I am happy for such an affordable set of what I consider winter/all weather beaters. And they weigh about 3#s less a corner overall.

Though I am going to have to do something with the shiny center cap, it doesn't work that well with the anthracite wheel and black Gorilla lugs I have.

Edited to add: my speedometer is now actually closer to matching my GPS speed than before, even with the slightly taller tires.

OP
SeanBonham
Thread Starter #34
You notice any change in acceleration with the taller tire? That is my main worry with increasing the diameter. I worry that things will feel sluggish or something.

Not noticeably different to be honest. Butt dyno isn't too finely calibrated though.

MPA

I'm going with 205/45/16 Federal 595RS-Rs on (probably)16x7.5 Sport Edition SE-17s in anthracite. Specs show the combo to be 1/2 lb more than stock, but that's ok because it should inprove the ride and grip..:)

I like the Slipstreams, but I don't think I want black wheels.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Kip, can you post a photo of you car with the current 15" setup? You have sport comp-2's 195/55/15 right? You think they are too narrow for the car?
I don't think I have any photos of them with my summer tires on. I'm currently using them now for my winter set up, so they have my winter tires on there. But for that wheel size, only 15x6.5 the tires wasn't too narrow. But I would never do that wheel width again. I don't know what I was thinking. Ha. I just doesn't feel wide enough and kinda tall. That's why I switched to the 225/45 and even though the slipstreams are only .5 wider than the 15s they should still add some noticeable width and stability.

I'm going with 205/45/16 Federal 595RS-Rs on (probably)16x7.5 Sport Edition SE-17s in anthracite. Specs show the combo to be 1/2 lb more than stock, but that's ok because it should inprove the ride and grip..:)

I like the Slipstreams, but I don't think I want black wheels.
Same wheel I've been running for the last year now, with my summer set up and now my permanent winter set up wheel. Solid wheel, no complaints here.

I was watching a set of Slipstreams on Ebay and had one in my cart on Amazon, just couldn't take the matte black thing. The weight is pretty amazing though.

Couple pics of the BFG Comp-2s in 205/50-16 for you:
se-p5.jpg
se-p5a.jpg

OP
SeanBonham
Thread Starter #39
I don't think I have any photos of them with my summer tires on. I'm currently using them now for my winter set up, so they have my winter tires on there. But for that wheel size, only 15x6.5 the tires wasn't too narrow. But I would never do that wheel width again. I don't know what I was thinking. Ha. I just doesn't feel wide enough and kinda tall. That's why I switched to the 225/45 and even though the slipstreams are only .5 wider than the 15s they should still add some noticeable width and stability.

Same wheel I've been running for the last year now, with my summer set up and now my permanent winter set up wheel. Solid wheel, no complaints here.
I thought about trying the 195/55 on a 15x7.5
I change my mind every day on which setup I'm going to run...

I'm down to:
16x7 and either a 205/50 or 225/45
Or 15x7 or 15x7.5 with a 195/55 or 205/50 or 205/55.

I know not all tires are the measurements they advertize.

S.drives come in 205/55 which is tempting. I don't know much about those tires.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I thought about trying the 195/55 on a 15x7.5
I change my mind every day on which setup I'm going to run...

I'm down to:
16x7 and either a 205/50 or 225/45
Or 15x7 or 15x7.5 with a 195/55 or 205/50 or 205/55.

I know not all tires are the measurements they advertize.

S.drives come in 205/55 which is tempting. I don't know much about those tires.
I would do 16s just because I like the look better than 15s on our cars. But that's just me. I won't be autocrossing or tracking so weight isn't a huge factor to me but there isn't much difference in weight between most 15s and 16s anyway. I didn't choose the slipstreams because they were light, although it's a nice additional. I choose them because I love the way 5 spokes look on our car. Those are multispokes look the best in my opinion. I would get the fifteen52 tarmacs if they weren't so expensive and came in a smaller size. Love that wheel.