Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Greetings from KC!

Good day/afternoon/night all. I just recently purchased a 2016 Fiesta ST! My prior car got totaled out by a drunk a few weeks back so I decided it was time to get a car that was enjoyable to drive instead of just a daily A to B.

I have to say the one I found was in amazing condition. VERY well kept and both the interior and exterior were immaculate. I haven't had quite this much fun in a car since I got to drive a Veloster N :eek:. I do have a few questions that maybe some FiSTa pros might know the answer to. The first one being: are there any recommended immediate upgrades to make to any stock parts? I had seen a few things about replacing the stock blow off valve, but it seemed to me to be about the only really recommended thing. I still plan on doing the pretty basic upgrades like better spark plugs and a cold air intake system. The second one being: any known quirks about the 2016 Fiesta ST that I should be aware of? So far I've only driven it a dozen miles and everything feels smooth and fun. I haven't seen any posts about tranny issues or clutch issues. Nor have I seen anything about the 1.6l engine having any problems.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Welcome! Like you, I wanted an effiecient but fun car. This is the best you'll do for the money.
The one thing I'd strongly recommend is a stiffer rear motor mount (RMM). Lots of companies make them. Also, put 2 full liters of new fluid in the tranny. Ravenol is a favorite around here for that.
These cars keep accumulating the miles, and even with tunes and big turbos, they seem to be quite reliable. Ford put this engine/tranny in much bigger cars, and they're still running too.

Welcome! I imagine you'll love that car. Bone stock, it's an absolute blast. Only common complaint I've heard is (hvac) blend door. Depending on how rough the roads are in KC, you might consider a little extra sidewall in your tires (potholes can be brutal on stock configuration).

OP
K
Thread Starter #5
Welcome! Like you, I wanted an effiecient but fun car. This is the best you'll do for the money.
The one thing I'd strongly recommend is a stiffer rear motor mount (RMM). Lots of companies make them. Also, put 2 full liters of new fluid in the tranny. Ravenol is a favorite around here for that.
These cars keep accumulating the miles, and even with tunes and big turbos, they seem to be quite reliable. Ford put this engine/tranny in much bigger cars, and they're still running too.
My father was a mechanic for many decades back in the day and he also recommended putting some new fluid in the tranny and running some Motorkoat in the oil. I had seen that the RMM was included in some of the upgrades offered by COBB. I haven't really had any turbo cars before so this is my first introduction to COBB. Any thoughts about them or the parts that they sell?

OP
K
Thread Starter #6
Welcome! I imagine you'll love that car. Bone stock, it's an absolute blast. Only common complaint I've heard is (hvac) blend door. Depending on how rough the roads are in KC, you might consider a little extra sidewall in your tires (potholes can be brutal on stock configuration).
Sadly the roads around here are pretty bad in certain spots of the streets and highways (of course, thanks Missouri :rolleyes:). I hadn't even thought about messing with the tires or wheels yet so thank you for bringing that to my attention! Looks like I have some more shopping around to do! :devilish:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
WELCOME and CONGRATS!

I would skip the Motorkote and just use a really good full synthetic (i.e.; mostly group 4/5 base stock composition) oil.
(The only oil additive I would ever even have considered myself in the past is the Lubegard Bio/Tech, and not even that one now.)

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
My father was a mechanic for many decades back in the day and he also recommended putting some new fluid in the tranny and running some Motorkoat in the oil. I had seen that the RMM was included in some of the upgrades offered by COBB. I haven't really had any turbo cars before so this is my first introduction to COBB. Any thoughts about them or the parts that they sell?
Cobb makes the APs everyone uses. Their OTS tunes are preloaded on almost any AP you get. Their RMM was kinda meh, but I understand they went to polyurethane like everyone else.
I have the mountune, which is the "street" stiffness. Whoosh and Cobb are comparable, and Whoosh offers stiffer ones if you're more interested in tracking the car than driving it daily.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Take a look around the forum before you waste money on spark plugs and cold air intake. Neither makes a difference with a stock turbo, and the poorer filtration used to gain potential airflow isn't really worth it. Likewise, none of the aftermarket exhausts improve anything except being louder. Some do that in a way that is good, most in a way that is bad.
That's the nature of a car that's been very highly tuned (and done well) by the manufacturer.
The RMM will gain you improvements in shifting, at the price of increased NVH. That tradeoff has been worthwhile for most.
Dropping down to a 16" or 15" wheel but keeping the stock overall diameter tire gains you some comfort and road isolation, at the price of some of the steering precision and feel that is what makes the car so special. However, it's probably worth it. Even with our 185/60R15 snow tires it still feels like a go-kart. Just with less grip, and a little less aggressive turn-in. That said, I love when we can take the snows off and go back to the 205/40's.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Welcome to the machine.

KC, ah, the BBQ almost every night, karaoke at the Red Balloon, foosball at Sharks Restaurant & Billiards. All in one week, lol. Rear Motor Mount is #1. Don't waste money on CAI as SteveS said. Don't waste money on exhaust. I love my 205/50-16s for a comfortable DD.

Welcome! i just recently bought mine little over a week ago.

get a rear motor mount, maybe ps and ds motor mounts too. ill be going with a CPE cai and a injen race catback. keeping the stock diverter valve style and going with GFB electronic version.