Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Gulping coolant?

i saw it.

the first question that comes to my mind is how often do people bother to renew their coolant?

i work in the auto service industry, and it seems that it's one of the most neglected services to renew the cooling system with new antifreeze.

heck, there are some people that go tens of thousands of miles without an engine oil change

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
i saw it.

the first question that comes to my mind is how often do people bother to renew their coolant?

i work in the auto service industry, and it seems that it's one of the most neglected services to renew the cooling system with new antifreeze.

heck, there are some people that go tens of thousands of miles without an engine oil change
The Owner's manual I believe recommends that you change the coolant initially at 6 years, and then every 3 years after that. I've just been doing it every 3 years, which means I've done it twice now on my '16.
I agree that this is a service which is often neglected.

This result is NOT from old coolant, it's a result of a piss poor design. Ford has a long standing record of poor Engineering Oversight and sticking their collective heads in the sand when it all hits the fan.

The Focus transmission fiasco is projected to cost Ford 2 Billion dollars. Oddly enough Volvo used that same transmission and it worked splendidly. The only difference between the 2 transmissions is that the Ford transmission is electronically controlled and actuated and the Volvo transmission is electronically controlled and Hydraulically actuated. The Ford enginers who were hands on with the Focus transmission complained many time that they were unable achieve a calibration that provided good clutch durability and begged to be able to use hydraulics to cycle the clutches and Ford management stated doing that would be too expensive. Now they have flushed 2 BIllion dollars down a toilet and I have yet to see any heads lopped off at the top engineering management levels at Ford.

So new we have 3-4 years of production of Ecoboost 4 cylinder engines that at some point Ford will have to compensate the owners for at a cost of probably 8-12,000 dollars per vehicle. I have to wonder how many Billion that will cost Ford.

Have we seen much of this issue on the fiesta STs? I see the slit but haven’t seen many reports of this issue and have seen a few high mileage cars.
I too haven't seen this as a wide spread issue for the 1.6T in the FiST. I do know a few people that have had this issue in the little "SUV" thing built on the Fiesta platform and such but not the FiST.

Magnetic

My FiST 16 with almost 90K miles just started drinking coolant. Not a lot but enough to where I have to add some today and it sometimes smokes out of the exhaust randomly.

Received my FiST at 15K miles via Carvana with coolant way below minimum in the overflow tank. Hasn't moved much if at all since topping it off (2-3k miles ago). Seemed like there was some speculation about a potential underfilling from the factory etc. but who knows.

the duke

This result is NOT from old coolant, it's a result of a piss poor design. Ford has a long standing record of poor Engineering Oversight and sticking their collective heads in the sand when it all hits the fan.

The Focus transmission fiasco is projected to cost Ford 2 Billion dollars. Oddly enough Volvo used that same transmission and it worked splendidly. The only difference between the 2 transmissions is that the Ford transmission is electronically controlled and actuated and the Volvo transmission is electronically controlled and Hydraulically actuated. The Ford enginers who were hands on with the Focus transmission complained many time that they were unable achieve a calibration that provided good clutch durability and begged to be able to use hydraulics to cycle the clutches and Ford management stated doing that would be too expensive. Now they have flushed 2 BIllion dollars down a toilet and I have yet to see any heads lopped off at the top engineering management levels at Ford.

So new we have 3-4 years of production of Ecoboost 4 cylinder engines that at some point Ford will have to compensate the owners for at a cost of probably 8-12,000 dollars per vehicle. I have to wonder how many Billion that will cost Ford.
Ford shouldn've used asbestos reinforced fiber liners for the waterjacket. It'd eliminate the issue..

I too haven't seen this as a wide spread issue for the 1.6T in the FiST. I do know a few people that have had this issue in the little "SUV" thing built on the Fiesta platform and such but not the FiST.
the actual head gasket is the same part # between the two BM5Z-6051-B. Was kind of hoping the gasket was at least different. The deck is also identical. Idk these fiestas would be more reliable but would love input from others.

here is my favorite analysis of this motor:

https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/ford-ecoboost-1-6l-analysis-turbocharged-direct-injection-ccvtc/